Tennessee Chatt and Campbell Clinic Ortho Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sthpawslugger

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I began perusing Freida to get a glimpse into the residency programs in the Southeast. I noticed both Tennessee Chattanooga and Tennessee Campbell Clinic have an average of 60 and 40 hours/week listed for their hours, respectively. Campbell Clinic also lists an avg of 2.5 off days, adding that unless on-call, weekends are off. Am I missing something or is that very accurate of each program? Do residents leave each of those programs feeling just as well-trained and prepared as those from those programs who avg 80+ week q3 call? Being a good surgeon for my patients is certainly important, but so is being a good husband and father.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,

I began perusing Freida to get a glimpse into the residency programs in the Southeast. I noticed both Tennessee Chattanooga and Tennessee Campbell Clinic have an average of 60 and 40 hours/week listed for their hours, respectively. Campbell Clinic also lists an avg of 2.5 off days, adding that unless on-call, weekends are off. Am I missing something or is that very accurate of each program? Do residents leave each of those programs feeling just as well-trained and prepared as those from those programs who avg 80+ week q3 call? Being a good surgeon for my patients is certainly important, but so is being a good husband and father.

The quoted hours on Freida are nonsense. You will work 80 hours averaged over 2 weeks at most places (100 hours one week and 60 hours the next averages to 80 over 2 weeks). I know a resident at Campbell and he works hard. Also, while working less hours will help you regain your stamina, I think a balanced program is important. There are some that definitely don’t operate as much (usually places with a ton of fellows or lower volume places, or sometimes big name research places) and there are some more blue collar programs that operate all night long on many nights. Somewhere in between is ideal in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 user