Tennessee Resident 510 MCAT 3.81 GPA-What are my chances at MD program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenes

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just looking for some advice an insight as I go through the application process. I am a Tennessee resident applying this cycle. Here are my stats:

3.81 cGPA
3.69 science/math GPA

*Never failed or repeated any classes, grades were always steadily good throughout college, only made 1 "C'

MCAT:

1st attempt- 23 (not prepared, taken August 2013)

2nd attempt- 510 (83%, taken September 12 2015)

Physical- 127
CARS- 128
Bio- 126
Psych/Soc- 129

Extracurriculars:

-
4 year member of Sigma Chi Fraternity, held leadership positions and offices
-Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society
-Mu Epsilon Delta medical fraternity member
- approx 75 shadowing hours in multiple specialties, including surgery
-over 100 volunteer hours, 30+ in a large ER and 72 in a level 1 trauma center with patient contact
-worked in a volunteer clinic in an impoverished region of Honduras for 7 days on a medical mission
- Executive board member of the UTM St. Jude Up 'til Dawn fundraising program
- Taught an orientation class and tutored incoming freshman students
- Significant undergraduate research experience, attended 2 national conferences and presented a poster
-Co-authored an Anatomy and Physiology lab manual currently used at my alma mater
- Full time research assistant in a lab studying triple-negative breast cancer (I've worked here since graduation) 2000+ hour total with experience in tons of molecular bio techniques and surgical procedures in mouse models. 1 publication currently under review, more on the way early next year.

So far I have applied to the following schools:

-University of Tennessee Health Science Center
-East TN State University
- Quinnipac
- Western Michigan
- Penn State
- Vermont
- VCU
- West Virginia
- Wake Forest
- Arizona @ Tuscon
-Emory
-Tulane

Any advice, input, or additional schools to apply to will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I didn't receive my MCAT scores until October 13, so right now I am filling out secondaries like crazy. I just sent the first few out over the past 7-10 days. I know taking the MCAT in September set me up really late in the application cycle, but I felt would be best prepared taking it then due to balancing studying with the numerous projects I had going on at my research job.

Yeah I didn't receive my MCAT scores until October 13, so right now I am filling out secondaries like crazy. I just sent the first few out over the past 7-10 days. I know taking the MCAT in September set me up really late in the application cycle, but I felt would be best prepared taking it then due to balancing studying with the numerous projects I had going on at my research job.

If your goal is to start medical school next year add DO schools in the near future. While its not out of the realm of possibility you get a II at ETSU or UT, applying this late will obviously harm your chances. If you don't want to be a re-applicant you need to find ways to make up for that; adding DO schools if you want to be a med student next year is the best way to do so.

If your goal is to start medical school next year add DO schools in the near future. While its not out of the realm of possibility you get a II at ETSU or UT, applying this late will obviously harm your chances. If you don't want to be a re-applicant you need to find ways to make up for that; adding DO schools if you want to be a med student next year is the best way to do so.

I can attest to this being one who took the MCAT on Sept. 11. I even e-mail the deans to be sure and every single one told me to wait for next cycle. It's not too late for DO schools from what I understand.