Terminal masters program that best prepare for PhD admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Motiv4ted

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm currently an undergraduate student majoring in psychology. I have always wanted to work in the field of psychology and working with either depression or addiction. I realize that I can become a practitioner at the masters level with a counseling license, but because I'm an international student I would like to get a PhD so that if I do go back to my home country, it's easier to find a job.

However, I would not get into a PhD program with my current level of research experience although my grades are very good. Taking time off after I graduate to do more research doesn't seem like a good idea either because I only have 1 year after I graduate that I can stay here before I have to go back or continue my education ( I doubt I can find a RA position in that time, plus 1 more year of experience isn't enough right? with that 1 year, I would have a total of 2 years, but the one year that I'm getting right now as a research volunteer with my professor hasn't prepared me or taught me anything, just to look good on my resume)

Therefore, I'm looking at terminal masters program in clinical psychology or general psychology that would increase my chances of getting into a PhD program. I'm currently looking at three programs,

1/ M.S in general psychology at Depaul University in Chicago.
2/ M.S in general psychology at NYU
3/ M.A in psychology at the Teachers College in Columbia

I was wondering what everyone's opinions of these programs are, and if there are programs out there that can prepare me better for PhD admission. Also, any tips or guidance that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't really comment on the ones listed. I know about Columbia TC's masters program in counseling, and the general opinions of the College have been mixed- you can do a search for relevant threads on this forum.

However, I'm wondering if you've looked at Villanova? I know several people who have gone to their program and been successful in gaining admission to PhD programs in clinical psychology.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for providing me with the names of some of these schools. I'm currently looking at that thread right now to gain a better idea. Villanova sounds like a great school, but I will also be looking at those other schools mentioned in that thread. If anyone has ever been to any terminal M.S programs in psychology I would appreciate very much your feedback on your program and what PhD program you have been admitted to or what you have been doing after your masters.

Yes, I have also heard quite a bit about the masters program at the Teacher's College at Columbia. I have heard that it doesn't really provide you with much internship/ research experience. I have also heard people to go as far as describing it as a diploma mill but then again it's Columbia, so I kind of don't know what to think about those reviews.

I know of some graduate students that did not go directly to a PhD program (but now are in clinical psychology doctoral programs) that recommended the masters program in psychology at University of North Carolina-Wilmington. It is research-oriented, has three different concentrations (General Psychology, Substance Abuse Treatment, and ABA), and the gen. psych. concentration is really designed to help prepare for doctoral level programs. I have heard really good reviews and actually applied there myself in case I am not accepted this round for Clinical PhD programs.

Here's the link for the graduate program at UNCW: http://uncw.edu/psy/grad/

Hope this helps! And good luck with everything.

I've read the Wake Frorest and Villanova MA programs in experiemental psych are both funded and the best at preparing you for doctoral studies.

Hi everyone, I'm currently an undergraduate student majoring in psychology. I have always wanted to work in the field of psychology and working with either depression or addiction. I realize that I can become a practitioner at the masters level with a counseling license, but because I'm an international student I would like to get a PhD so that if I do go back to my home country, it's easier to find a job.

However, I would not get into a PhD program with my current level of research experience although my grades are very good. Taking time off after I graduate to do more research doesn't seem like a good idea either because I only have 1 year after I graduate that I can stay here before I have to go back or continue my education ( I doubt I can find a RA position in that time, plus 1 more year of experience isn't enough right? with that 1 year, I would have a total of 2 years, but the one year that I'm getting right now as a research volunteer with my professor hasn't prepared me or taught me anything, just to look good on my resume)

Therefore, I'm looking at terminal masters program in clinical psychology or general psychology that would increase my chances of getting into a PhD program. I'm currently looking at three programs,

1/ M.S in general psychology at Depaul University in Chicago.
2/ M.S in general psychology at NYU
3/ M.A in psychology at the Teachers College in Columbia

I was wondering what everyone's opinions of these programs are, and if there are programs out there that can prepare me better for PhD admission. Also, any tips or guidance that you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

I know I'm sort of late to this, but FWIW I know 3-4 people who worked as RA's at Depaul after undergrad prior to applying for grad school (and they weren't enrolled in their master's programs). They all did quite well afterward. I know nothing about the quality of their master's program.

If you're interested in research, I would suggest looking at the master's program at American. They are VERY research based, atleast from my experiences with their students (I did not go there) and have produced students that get in to PhD programs.

I know that someone already mentioned it, but University of North Carolina Willmington is a great school to prepare you for a PhD program. I know several people who have attend there and are currently in Clinical Psychology phd programs. I am applying this roung but also applied to UNC-W as a back up. Even as a back up though it is a very good MA program.
I believe they have a bar lab for those who are interested in addictions. Bar labs are sparse and can provide excellent research possibilities.

Good luck!

The Clinical Health Master's program at Appalachian State University is fairly clinically oriented (emphasis on practice, but you'll get lots of hours and experience). Many of the students in that program have gone on to get accepted into PhD programs. It's a really strong program, and very good prep for the rigors of a PhD.

I had a low GPA and a modest amount of research experience in undergrad. I got a masters in social work where I did well grade wise, gained clinical experience, and incidentally gained some research experience doing a masters thesis. In applying to PhD programs (both psych and otherwise), I felt the focus of my interviews were on my research experience and experience with stats programs. It seemed like my clinical experience was just icing on the cake.

While I LOVED my MSW experience, if my only goal was to be super competitive for PhD programs, I think I would have tried for a masters in experimental psych. I would have focused on research exp. (design and analysis) in applied areas (e.g., counseling, clinical, school/education, etc.) too.

This was a few years ago, but I remember vividly most of my interview questions were about research interests and the extent of my research experience. Oh and for what its worth all the psych programs I applied to were scientist-practitioner programs...