Terrible culmulative GPA. Great Science GPA. What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from Emory's Business School in '06 with a 2.8. I didn't study very hard and just kind of goofed off and finished my degree in 3 years. I got a good job and worked for a couple of years before being laid off due to the economy. I took a year and half off before deciding that I wanted to go to med school. I'm currently picking up undergrad prereqs for med school.

From my courses before '06 I have a science GPA of 3.92 (Only took BIO 1 & 2 + Gen Chem 1)

Since I came back to school in spring semester of '09. I have a GPA of 4.0 and have only taken science classes. This includes Bio 2 (again), Gen Chem 1 & 2 rolled into one semester, Organic 1 & 2, Microbiology, Genetics, Physics 1. I will be taking Physics 2 and Biochemistry next semester.

I will be taking the MCAT Aug. 6th. I'm a good test taker and I can see myself getting a 34 minimum (took a MCAT Practice Test 3 and scored a 30 without any prior preparation. Currently taking Examkrackers prep course).

I am currently shadowing an orthopaedic surgeon. This is my first time shadowing. I can see myself getting about 100 hours total before the end of the summer.

I have no real research experience. I just started doing research at a genetics lab in a research institution concurrently with my observeship. I will not be able to get my name published on the paper as I am not there full time. I will log in about 120 hours in the lab before the end of the summer.

My dad's a doctor and I have a lot of doctors in my family (if that matters at all).

Should I finish Biochem/Physics 2 before applying? If not...

What are my chances of getting into med school this year?

What are my chances of going to Emory Medical School since I attended Emory for my undergrad?

Would my chances be dramatically improved if I were to skip this year's application cycle and perform research/observeship before the next application cycle?

Would boosting my MCAT to 40 be of a tremendous help? (I think I can do it with enough hard work.)

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I graduated from Emory's Business School in '06 with a 2.8. I didn't study very hard and just kind of goofed off and finished my degree in 3 years. I got a good job and worked for a couple of years before being laid off due to the economy. I took a year and half off before deciding that I wanted to go to med school. I'm currently picking up undergrad prereqs for med school.

From my courses before '06 I have a science GPA of 3.92 (Only took BIO 1 & 2 + Gen Chem 1)

Since I came back to school in spring semester of '09. I have a GPA of 4.0 and have only taken science classes. This includes Bio 2 (again), Gen Chem 1 & 2 rolled into one semester, Organic 1 & 2, Microbiology, Genetics, Physics 1. I will be taking Physics 2 and Biochemistry next semester.

I will be taking the MCAT Aug. 6th. I'm a good test taker and I can see myself getting a 34 minimum (took a MCAT Practice Test 3 and scored a 30 without any prior preparation. Currently taking Examkrackers prep course).

I am currently shadowing an orthopaedic surgeon. This is my first time shadowing. I can see myself getting about 100 hours total before the end of the summer.

I have no real research experience. I just started doing research at a genetics lab in a research institution concurrently with my observeship. I will not be able to get my name published on the paper as I am not there full time. I will log in about 120 hours in the lab before the end of the summer.

My dad's a doctor and I have a lot of doctors in my family (if that matters at all).

What are my chances of getting into med school this year?

What are my chances of going to Emory Medical School since I attended Emory for my undergrad?

Would my chances be dramatically improved if I were to skip this year's application cycle and perform research/observeship before the next application cycle?

Would boosting my MCAT to 40 be of a tremendous help?

Thanks for the help.
If your cGPA is above 3.0 after crushing these science classes, 33+ mcat would give you a decent chance at mid-to-low tier MD schools. If you are ok with DO, a 28+ mcat would suffice.

Can anyone else weigh in?