Terrible first quarter...need some straightforward advice...

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student
So basically, I just started college this year as a freshman at Ohio State.

I'm not a stupid person, I always got awesome grades in high school but I let myself get overwhelmed and ended up with some not so hot grades.

Here's how it turned out:

Gen. Chem: C
Pre-Calc: C
English: A

I need to know my options. Am I screwed over? Should I give up all hopes of med school? I'm willing to work my butt off and turn it all around now that I realize that unlike high school I can't just slide on through half-heartedly. But what can I do now?

Last edited:

Organic20

10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2008
Charlotte, NC
Status
Pre-Medical
So basically, I just started college this year as a freshman at Ohio State.

I'm not a stupid person, I always got awesome grades in high school but I let myself get overwhelmed and ended up with some not so hot grades.

Here's how it turned out:

Gen. Chem: C-
Pre-Calc: C
English: A

GPA: 2.56

I need to know my options. Am I screwed over? Should I give up all hopes of med school? I'm willing to work my butt off and turn it all around now that I realize that unlike high school I can't just slide on through half-heartedly. But what can I do now?

Dont give up!!!! Thankfully, you have time to fix this problem. The next terms try to improve your GPA. Aim for 4.00 in all the terms but one B radomly is not going to hurt you so much. Avoid C at all cost and if you see that you can't make an A or B just drop the class. The W's are not a concern if you just have few of them but if you make a pattern that you drop a class every single term then it will be red flag in your record.

Also, I reccommend you to retake the class that you made a C- because it is in a prereq and many schools if not all do not accept less than a C in the prereqs so aim for an A the next time that you take it.

roseglass6370

Are we there yet?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 24, 2008
Status
Other Health Professions Student
Thanks!

I will probably end up retaking it. :)

About the Ads

shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member
Sep 2, 2007
Status
Medical Student
First term freshman year is really the best to screw up. Higher GPAs throughout the rest of your coursework and you'll be fine.

About the Ads