Terrible First Semester as a Freshman

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureDocHopefl

TheFuture
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently found out that I got TERRIBLE grades and I am not talking no B's or C's. I got a solid C in lower level Chemistry, and I also am going to get a D+ in Classical Mythology and probably a D in Judaism/Christianity/Islam. Am I done with? I seriously couldn't sleep last night because I am worried that my future is over... is it over?

Members don't see this ad.

FutureDocHopefl said:
I recently found out that I got TERRIBLE grades and I am not talking no B's or C's. I got a solid C in lower level Chemistry, and I also am going to get a D+ in Classical Mythology and probably a D in Judaism/Christianity/Islam. Am I done with? I seriously couldn't sleep last night because I am worried that my future is over... is it over?
yes

FutureDocHopefl said:

YEA....its pretty much over. Just save yourself the grief and change your major. Thats one way to look at it

OR

Figure out why you got bad grades. Didnt study enough, party too much, busy with a gf stuff like that???? The first semester tends to have bad grades for most poeple. My grades were pretty bad. But its important to learn from what happened. You have a long way to go and improve.

Good Luck

Members don't see this ad :)
FutureDocHopefl said:

Sorry to hear that...no I don't think its over if you are ready to work hard...but you should really think about it. If making good grades does not come easily, you can work hard and do better...but its not gonna get any easier than it is right now, so you need to seriously think about whether this is the path for you. I'm not saying you're not cut out for it, but why punish yourself? Only you can decide whats best for you so goodluck... :luck:

golftrippy said:
Sorry to hear that...no I don't think its over if you are ready to work hard...but you should really think about it. If making good grades does not come easily, you can work hard and do better...but its not gonna get any easier than it is right now, so you need to seriously think about whether this is the path for you. I'm not saying you're not cut out for it, but why punish yourself? Only you can decide whats best for you so goodluck... :luck:

HAHAHAHA.... I have wanted this my whole life and I am not going to let a bad first semester as a freshman crush my dreams I have had all my life. As to why my grades are bad, it was due to beginning stages of mono.

Nahhh... it's not over until I say it's over... thanks for your reply though.

FutureDocHopefl said:

well if you had gunner visions of harvard or hopkins or washu dancing in your head, then i'd be depressed, but you're not completely ****ed for many med schools, just do well from now on unless you make the smarter move to become a dentist, then a low gpa isnt so bad.

FutureDocHopefl said:
HAHAHAHA.... I have wanted this my whole life and I am not going to let a bad first semester as a freshman crush my dreams I have had all my life. As to why my grades are bad, it was due to beginning stages of mono.

mono is definitely a legitimate excuse. Were you a good student (mostly As in high school, dedicated, driven) in high school? I have known many people that believed they would do well in college, yet didn't because they never developed the necessary skills in high schools to excell. Whatever the case, you need to get over mono and then pull off great grades next semseter so that if you apply to med school you can show them that you are capable.

You could dream all you want but if you can't take action then you might as well get into sufism so you can dream professionaly. Please don't use mono as an excuse ever again. :(

FutureDocHopefl said:

Hm....

No, it's not over, friend. You had some extenuating circumstances (mono) that affected your grade. So pretty much from here on out, you need to kick butt in your classes. You already know that...

FutureDocHopefl said:

Hmmm...I don't know why that is funny...but good luck still, you're gonna need it

PS. I had mono is college...and its beginning stages are not responsible for such poor grades...you should have gotten extensions, Incompletes, something...this will not be an acceptable excuse to med schools

Yeah well, I will get in, doesn't matter where either. Osteopathic, allopathic, foreign, doesn't really matter to me anymore, I WILL GET THERE.

golftrippy said:
Hmmm...I don't know why that is funny...but good luck still, you're gonna need it

PS. I had mono is college...and its beginning stages are not responsible for such poor grades...you should have gotten extensions, Incompletes, something...this will not be an acceptable excuse to med schools

I finished with 2 Cs and 3 Bs this semester (and yes, I am a freshman like you Doc)

Sucks, yeah. My excuse? First semester of college is always the hardest. And oh yeah, there was this storm called Katrina....

Members don't see this ad :)
I am probably just going to apply to a D.O. school or a Caribbean school. All I have to do is make up some story about choosing D.O. instead of an M.D. school, and if that doesn't work I can easily get into a Caribeean school and make the same amount of money like every other physician out there.

Telemachus said:

FutureDocHopefl said:
I am probably just going to apply to a D.O. school or a Caribbean school. All I have to do is make up some story about choosing D.O. instead of an M.D. school, and if that doesn't work I can easily get into a Caribeean school and make the same amount of money like every other physician out there.

Stop beating the crap out of yourself. The upside to all of this is that you did this your freshman year, and if you're going to get crappy grades, you want to do them your freshman year. Look on the bright side-- there is nowhere to go from here but up.

I think that you definitely going to have to retake the classes that you got D's or lower in, and you might want to reconsider taking gen chem over because if you don't know those concepts that will come back to bite you in the ass later on. Retake the classes and get straight A's in them. From here on in, you have to play that stupid numbers game. Do not take 21 credit hours in courses you have no chance of getting A's in. Take a full courseload, but make it reasonable for you.

Try to remember that gaining an acceptance to medical school is not just about numbers; numbers are only part of the equation. Make sure you gain meaningful clinical experience during your undergraduate years-- have some physicians mentor you, volunteer, get involved in research, do things that you enjoy and that reflect to adcoms that you are a person who is interesting and who would make a good doctor.

FutureDocHopefl said:
Boy, FutureDoc, I was on your side until that comment. But, I'm sure you're angry because you're already feeling bad and you have just drawn some insults. Comments like that, however, are going to get you heavy criticism. There are some SDN threads I should probably just stay out of, because I'm old enough to be your parent. I think, however, that you're looking for some constructive advice.

It's been an honor for me to attend premedical classes with traditional premed students. I am astonished at the level of maturity and dedication that I consistently see, and I'm just glad to be considered a peer. I'm not sure I could have done this premed thing at age 21 rather than 42/43. What I mean by this is that anybody can forgive a bad freshman semester, but you are going to be up against some distinguished competition and you're going to have to set very high standards for yourself from now on. I think you need to retake General Chemistry - "C's" are bad news in core science courses. That "C" is going to be on your AMCAS BCPM even if you re-take it (it won't appear on your AACOMAS if you re-take it) but re-taking it will give you a better foundation and it shows that you know that your first performance was not good.

Grades count. A lot. I absolutely agree that med schools should look at many other factors - but, the truth is, grades and MCAT are the first cut. If you don't make that cut, they're not going to look at your other good qualities. Mono is a mild illness for some people, but it's quite serious for others. I think it's an acceptable excuse, if it's documented. Where you made your mistake was in not contacting your professors and keeping them advised of what was happening to you. Under no circumstances should your end of semester grades ever come as a surprise. I had a serious illness in my junior year and was in bed for nearly six weeks - I had to take incompletes in two classes - then I had so much catch-up work to do in the following semester, I had to take another incomplete (bad). But, struck-out incompletes with good grades replacing those incompletes were a lot better than poor grades (by the way, those incompletes got noticed - over 20 years later!). You probably didn't know all this in your first semester - so, my advice - every semester, you should let your professors know that you're a pre-med - get their advice and let them get to know you. If you run into trouble, talk to them - fast! Good luck to you.

This may sound rough but I am sure it comes to no suprise. As others have stated, from now on it will be "do or die". Yes it is your first semester as a college freshman but a D has no excuse, you must have really had your head "elsewhere" to recieve a D. The good news is that you have so few hours you really can turn your GPA into a good one. You need to figure out if you're ready enough to handle the hard work and dedication required for a pre-med. This means "sometimes" sacrificing your social-life for your school. Ask any of my friends and they will tell you I live in the library, but am with them at the bars on the weekends and am as crazy as any of them. Its all about balance and freshman year is a good time to learn that. Don't waste your life studying, that's not what college is about. You just need to figure out for yourself if its worth it to you to be a doctor, and if it is, hard work will come easily.

FutureDocHopefl said:
I also am going to get a D+ in Classical Mythology

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: You're kidding right? A D+ in classical mythology? How the hell do you do that? Here's the thing. Either you are a total ***** in which case I would say enjoy college and don't worry about a med school acceptance that is never gonna happen. Or you had a **** load of fun instead of studying, in which case I would say an upward trend is a great thing make sure you buckle down after first year and you'll be fine. I had a couple Fs and Ds on my transcript and still got in just fine.

I failed almost everything except weight-lifting my first year....had something like a 0.9 GPA I think, no excuses either, I flat out never went to class. Ended up being put on scholastic dismissal (kicked out) for one semester. Came back and got all A's from there out and ended up getting into the med school of my choice (I did have an exceptionally high MCAT though). Applying to radiology now and have interviews at all the "top ten" programs.

One semester is meaningless in the long run.

FutureDocHopefl said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

FutureDocHopefl said:
Yeah well, I will get in, doesn't matter where either. Osteopathic, allopathic, foreign, doesn't really matter to me anymore, I WILL GET THERE.

if you can already answer your own question then don't post a question, because you will dinguses who don't know you saying stupid **** like they are now.

get all As from now on, try to retake the classes you got Ds in over the summer or something, and move on. OR if you continue to do poorly, drop premed and do a post bac.

there. easy answer.

people who think getting poor grades like that when you're only 18 years old will determine the rest of your life are idiots. you CAN'T keep getting bad grades, and might have to do a post bac, but messing up means no more than that...i f-ed up pretty bad and i'm accepted to 3 med schools.

FutureDocHopefl said:
A few bad grades won't keep you out of medical school, but a negative, self-defeating mentality like that will. Just use this minor setback to bounce back up and don't let it happen again.

well, just work extra hard. anyone could get a good GPA if they tried extra hard. thats only one bad semester. start doing good work and see how those mcats turn out.

Why do people waste their time posting on these threads? I've just wasted 1 min pointing this out. OP, you owe me!

I think you're weak as hell. Get on your horse and prove it to the schools you can do better. Simple.

Its funny to see these threads of these "helpless" pre-meds. No one here has a magic pill or formula for you. Figure it out for yourself. You only know YOU.

DO NOT WORRY. :thumbup:

Answer this question to yourself: How bad do I really want to be a doctor?

I had a sub 3.0 gpa my freshman year. I am a senior, applying this summer, and my gpa is above a 3.5. You can do it. The schools will look at the whole picture. Just don't give up. I almost did. You can turn it around if you really want to.

(on a side note: I heard that mono is caused by a virus that is carried without symptoms by around 70 percent of the population at all times it just comes out every once in a while...wierd)

-RR

Rocky Racoon said:
(on a side note: I heard that mono is caused by a virus that is carried without symptoms by around 70 percent of the population at all times it just comes out every once in a while...wierd)

With a lot of luck some day you might actually know something about that from med school courses.......

FutureDocHopefl said:

Why did you post this question initially if you can answer it by yourself? If you think you can do it, go for it. You shouldn't need the encouragement of other's to inflate your ego if you already know where you stand.

and a D in classical mythology? wtf?