terrible terrible terrible gpa after 1st semester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imscrewed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so i recently finished my first semester of my freshman year of college, and my science gpa is a 0.66 and over gpa is 0.7. I know i've screwed up, but i was wondering if from now on i get all 3.5+ in all of my remaining semesters, will medical schools care about my first semester? (of course i'll retake most of my classes) also i go to an unheard state school which people call easy, so will medical schools care about the school? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Retake classes, focus on what went wrong and improve it. It couldn't have all just been academic difficulties if you weren't able to manage a C in your first semester, so find the problem and fix it.

And no, the reputation of your school shouldn't matter, as long as everything else is in check.

You can still have a GPA good enough by graduation, but your main concern is going to be figuring out how to go from failing your classes (!) to getting A's and B's.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
1. No, they don't care about school.

2. You have some serious work to do to get your GPA back up. But, if you CAN manage to graduate with a 3.5 or better, schools might actually give you the benefit of the doubt and say to themselves "This guy did bad in one semester, but look how well he's done since!"

3. Find what went wrong and do all you can to fix it.

Good luck!:thumbup:

If you retake your courses, you can utilize DO grade replacement to your advantage (they will take the most recent grade if you retake a course, so your AACOMAS GPA will be significantly higher than your AMCAS GPA). But you can definitely progress from there. Medical schools will not care about where you went, and will only care that you did well. However, with a GPA that low, are you on any sort of academic probation? If so, you're going to want to work very hard with your advisors to bring your grades back up. If you need a tutor, get tutoring (many schools will provide some sort of tutoring service for you, if necessary). If you need to live in your professors' office hours, then do so.

Yeah just buckle down and turn it around; it's definitely not too late. Out of curiousity, how the hell did you get a 0.7 GPA?

ok so i recently finished my first semester of my freshman year of college, and my science gpa is a 0.66 and over gpa is 0.7. I know i've screwed up, but i was wondering if from now on i get all 3.5+ in all of my remaining semesters, will medical schools care about my first semester? (of course i'll retake most of my classes) also i go to an unheard state school which people call easy, so will medical schools care about the school? thanks

Did you make sure to calculate a D- as a 0.7 rather than a 0.66? Your GPA might not be as bad as you think it is.

Look into grade forgiveness. Ask an adviser about it. They will omit any number of classes from a single semester (at least those are the terms where I go).

Look into grade forgiveness. Ask an adviser about it. They will omit any number of classes from a single semester (at least those are the terms where I go).

I believe it is against the AMCAS guidelines (and the law) to not include classes that you took on your application.

I believe it is against the AMCAS guidelines (and the law) to not include classes that you took on your application.

They're still their but they don't affect your GPA. The transfer institution may choose to honor it or not. Med schools won't honor it.

Last edited: