Terrified of consequences!! what to do???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unsung

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took a beginning sewing class (not for credit, no grade, since it's continuing ed) at a community college a few years ago. Needless to say, it was just for fun. I entered it on AMCAS and I've been trying to get a transcript from them. Right now I live in a different state than where the community college is located.

It was really hard to even get the Registrar's office to send out a transcript, as at first everyone I spoke to claimed they weren't allowed to do anything over the phone, and I had to be there in person. Finally, one person I spoke to agreed to send it out, so I faxed over the AMCAS request forms and she mailed out a copy. Wait...wait...wait... AMCAS did not receive it.

I convince her to send it out again, so she does. Then I find out that my name has been misspelled in their system all along. (ARGH) No wonder AMCAS hasn't received it. I remember when I registered for the class it was just by phone, and they took down my name... it was probably entered into the system wrong. When I went in in person to pay for the class, they probably looked at my ID but did not catch the fact that my name is not spelled right in their system.

So now, I'm seriously so stressed, because my transcripts from all my other schools have been received already. But this thing with the sewing class promises to be a major pain in the a** to rectify. I don't even know if they'd agree to change my name in their system (even though it seemed easy enough for them to enter my name into the system...) without seeing me in person. And obviously everything's harder since I'm not living in that city any more... or even in that same state.

And even if they did agree, I imagine they'd make me jump through so many hoops, it's just gonna drag this thing out forever until AMCAS receives the thing.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?? I'm going to: :barf:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Honestly, if it were me I'd hop a plane out there and just take care of it myself. I know it's expensive, especially now-a-days, but it would be worth getting the problem solved in my opinion. Good luck! :)

Honestly, if it were me I'd hop a plane out there and just take care of it myself. I know it's expensive, especially now-a-days, but it would be worth getting the problem solved in my opinion. Good luck! :)

Gah. I don't know what I'm going to do, since I'm signed up to take the MCAT in July and right now I'm spending all my time studying. I just can't handle this right now. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a stretch, but...

If you took the class as a dependent and were under 18 years old, you could have one of your parents fly out and take care of it for you. That's what mom's are for, right? :D

I took a beginning sewing class (not for credit, no grade, since it's continuing ed) at a community college a few years ago. Needless to say, it was just for fun. I entered it on AMCAS and I've been trying to get a transcript from them. Right now I live in a different state than where the community college is located.

It was really hard to even get the Registrar's office to send out a transcript, as at first everyone I spoke to claimed they weren't allowed to do anything over the phone, and I had to be there in person. Finally, one person I spoke to agreed to send it out, so I faxed over the AMCAS request forms and she mailed out a copy. Wait...wait...wait... AMCAS did not receive it.

I convince her to send it out again, so she does. Then I find out that my name has been misspelled in their system all along. (ARGH) No wonder AMCAS hasn't received it. I remember when I registered for the class it was just by phone, and they took down my name... it was probably entered into the system wrong. When I went in in person to pay for the class, they probably looked at my ID but did not catch the fact that my name is not spelled right in their system.

So now, I'm seriously so stressed, because my transcripts from all my other schools have been received already. But this thing with the sewing class promises to be a major pain in the a** to rectify. I don't even know if they'd agree to change my name in their system (even though it seemed easy enough for them to enter my name into the system...) without seeing me in person. And obviously everything's harder since I'm not living in that city any more... or even in that same state.

And even if they did agree, I imagine they'd make me jump through so many hoops, it's just gonna drag this thing out forever until AMCAS receives the thing.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?? I'm going to: :barf:

Wait does AMCAS have the version of the transcript with the misspelled name? Is there any way you can get the school to verify that they misspelled your name with AMCAS?

I'm sorry...this is ridiculously, needlessly stressful. You have all of my empathy (yes, I'm having my own transcript issues :().

Wait does AMCAS have the version of the transcript with the misspelled name? Is there any way you can get the school to verify that they misspelled your name with AMCAS?

I'm sorry...this is ridiculously, needlessly stressful. You have all of my empathy (yes, I'm having my own transcript issues :().

What about having them identify you via SSN or other ID number rather than first name? What I'm asking is if your SSN is on the transcript sent by that school...

What about having them identify you via SSN or other ID number rather than first name? What I'm asking is if your SSN is on the transcript sent by that school...

ohio state stopped putting SSN's on transcripts a few quarters ago due to "legal reasons"...maybe it's not the only school i guess....

Have you tried calling AMCAS and explaining what's going and asking them what they suggest you do? I don't know how much help they'd be, but at least that way you would have official word on the situation.

I can only imagine how frustrated you must be with something like that holding everything up.

When it was sent to AMCAS, did they use the cover letter with the AMCAS ID? I think all you need to do is figure out HOW they misspelled your name and then in "Identifying Information" you just put in the misspelled version of your name as another name you've used. Then AMCAS can match up the transcript to your application using the AMCAS number and the wrong version of your name. If you call AMCAS they may still have the transcripts the school already sent, so you won't need to send another one. Two of my three transcripts were in my maiden name (which seems like a similar situation) and things worked fine. I hope it works out!

i Took A Beginning sewing Class (not For Credit, No Grade, Since It's Continuing Ed) At A Community College A Few Years Ago. needless To Say, It Was Just For Fun.

Puns Ftw!!!

When it was sent to AMCAS, did they use the cover letter with the AMCAS ID? I think all you need to do is figure out HOW they misspelled your name and then in "Identifying Information" you just put in the misspelled version of your name as another name you've used. Then AMCAS can match up the transcript to your application using the AMCAS number and the wrong version of your name. If you call AMCAS they may still have the transcripts the school already sent, so you won't need to send another one. Two of my three transcripts were in my maiden name (which seems like a similar situation) and things worked fine. I hope it works out!

Ooh, I just followed your suggestion and did this. Seems like it should work... why not? I guess I just have to call up AAMC early Monday morning and cross my fingers!

Yeah, good call. I hope it works out...