Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

TERRIFIED to fly

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Milhouse Van Houten, Sep 16, 2001.

1. Milhouse Van Houten

Milhouse Van Houten Senior Member

i have four interviews in the next 8 days, in washington d.c., new york city, and chicago. i am so afraid to fly that i considered cancelling some interviews. please advise. should i go or just delay some. i already delayed tulane, but they gave me a date way far from my original one. and considering everything is first come, first serve, i really need to be at these interviews!

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. go ahead and cancel...

I cancelled all of mine this week and next week....

I heard 10% of the applicants are showing up....so relax...u had plenty of interviews and half of them from what I gather was not rolling admissions...

so relax, reschedule in a month or so, when everything is better.....if not, then be prepared to fight a hijacker if god forbid the worst happens...

and of all places...washington D.C. and New York! yeesh....

4. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    Assuming the flights to those cities are even running (as of this weekend, there were still horrible delays for most airports), I think you should go. I guess my attitude is that the terrorist threat has always been there, whether we chose to acknowledge it or not, and flying right now is probably the safest it's been in years, because security is so heightened -- between the plain-clothes Delta forces and the Air Marshals, I actually think I will feel more secure in some ways.

Unless you are planning to only interview at schools within driving distance from this point forward, you will have to get on an airplane at some point this year. I'm not sure that 3 months from now will be any safer, and if anything, I think it might be less safe -- hypervigilance may have worn off, we may have retaliated militarily by that time, etc.

Also, keep in mind that basically going to any place where there is a large gathering of people is potentially dangerous -- shopping malls, large sporting events, etc. How much are you willing to change your way of living right now?

5. katiep

katiep Senior Member

How far are you? Perhaps you could take a train or bus? I'm from NYC, and am cancelling my trip to Europe, so I too would rather not take any chances... I'm renting a car and driving to my interviews.

6. CVPA

CVPA Senior Member

I'm with Lilycat. Petros, I don't think you have anything to worry about right now. I think flying at this particular moment is probably about the safest its ever been. Having said that, once we retaliate all bets are off. One can and should expect anything.

If our retaliation is before your interviews, I would drive and avoid mass transportation of any kind at that point. Until then air transportation, although cumbersome because of security, is probably safe.

Good luck.

7. moo

moo 1K Member

I had an interview at Columbia 25 September. I postponed that to a date in the future (they are not rolling so I'm not at all concerned when I interview. I may even group all of my NYC interviews together so I only have to fly once). I had one at OSU on Monday (tomorrow!) but I postponed that one to the 8th of October, as I couldn't even get my passport in time (I received the letter only last Monday). THus, you are certainly not alone.

8. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    I have a GWU interview on Sept 27 and I cancelled the flight (airlines are giving full refunds). I'll be driving 14 hours to get to the interview. It's a pain in the ass, but if we attack Afghanistan in the next week or two, I won't want to be flying anywhere.

9. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

I dont know, I figure people are about 10X more likely to die in a car crash rather than being the unfortunate person on a hijacked flight.

10. watto

watto Sleek White Pantsuit

Is anyone scheduled to interview at GWU this week? I am booked for Reagan but it appears that that will not be a go.

I am going to try to fly in somewhere nearby and drive in. It might be a long drive if I can't get into Dulles or BWI. Anyone making similar plans?

11. watta who said reagon is closed?

Is it? that is news to me? :confused: :p

12. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

Reagan is closed indefinitely from what I understand. No time given for reopening as of yet.

13. elle

elle Senior Member

On the radio today I heard that Reagon/National is closed indefinitely at this point.

14. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    It's been closed since the attack because of it's close proximity to the capitol.

15. rxfudd

rxfudd 1K Member

Attending Physician
    Across the population, I think it's actually higher than 100X - probably 1000X. However, the chances of surviving a car crash can be >0% if you consider safety factors such as seat belts, seat up (not back), etc. The probability of surviving a plane crash (or bombing) is very close to 0%. Given the state of our foreign affairs right now (and what I expect it to be in the next couple weeks), I'll take my chances with the highway. Besides, I've it'll give me a chance to take a road trip (been wanting to do that all summer but never got around to it).

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. watto

I heard they are considering closing Reagan permanently.

18. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Banned
    Banned

What? That would be stupid in my opinion. Its the only airport in the area that has a metro stop nearby.

If you fly into BWI or Dulles, you basically have to rent a car. I dont think the city bus system even goes out that far.

19. jasmine

jasmine Member

From BWI, you can take the MARC commuter train to Union Station for $5.00. If that's not leaving a a convenient time, then take Amtrak for $30.

From Dulles, you can take a shuttle to the nearest metro and then metro into the city. That could take up to an hour. A cab may be more time-efficient but will cost up to $50.

Don't rent a car, it's far too inconvenient to try to park around Georgetown. You are guaranteed to be towed during the day and a parking garage can be super-expensive. Metro's the way to go, esp since GW's so close to a stop.

Oh: I forgot to add - Baylor they closed National because from there it takes a plan half a minute or less to reach the White House. It's considered a major security risk to have any commuter plane to fly out of there.

20. watto

Thanks for the info, Jasmine. Any idea of a last-ditch-next-closest-to-D.C. airport after BWI or Dulles? Is there anything within a couple of hours' drive?

21. jasmine

jasmine Member

Philly's about a 3-hr drive - you can also take the metro from there... Richmond is 3 hrs away in the other direction but I'm not sure there's much of an airport there. You'll have to check that one...

Hope this helps...