Tesla Stock and Musk

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Tesla's stock has gone parabolic. That means the stock is way over-hyped and over-valued. Musk is now the 7th richest person in the world.

There are 2 other electric car companies out there getting ready to launch products. The valuation of Tesla just doesn't add up.

Members don't see this ad.

1594659587192.png

Members don't see this ad :)
And some, including Larry McDonald, editor of The Bear Traps Report, believe the recent run is driven not by fundamental strength, but by investors bidding up shares ahead of the company's potential inclusion in the S&P 500.

"By buying up Tesla TSLA now, front-runners are forcing the S&P Indexes to give the stock a higher and higher weighting," he wrote in a recent note. "Thus, ETFs / Indexes will be forced to pay up, buying even more shares. Then the hot money exits, leaving indexes holding the bag," he said.

Reactions: 2 users
Tesla is worth less than half its current valuation imho. It’s one of the most overpriced stocks period.

I like their products and I think Musk is a genius but valuation matters and as a car company Tesla is way over valued.

Reactions: 4 users
And some, including Larry McDonald, editor of The Bear Traps Report, believe the recent run is driven not by fundamental strength, but by investors bidding up shares ahead of the company's potential inclusion in the S&P 500.

"By buying up Tesla TSLA now, front-runners are forcing the S&P Indexes to give the stock a higher and higher weighting," he wrote in a recent note. "Thus, ETFs / Indexes will be forced to pay up, buying even more shares. Then the hot money exits, leaving indexes holding the bag," he said.

I think its driven by individual investors thats FOMOing

Reactions: 1 user
Blade speaks and the stock crashes.

Coincidence?

And some, including Larry McDonald, editor of The Bear Traps Report, believe the recent run is driven not by fundamental strength but by investors bidding up shares ahead of the company's potential inclusion in the S&P 500.

Oh you mean fundamental strength isn't the reason for Tesla's stock price quadrupling in 3 months? What a bold statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh you mean fundamental strength isn't the reason for Tesla's stock price quadrupling in 3 months? What a bold statement.

Based on my decades of investing in the market Tesla looks like a dot com stock. Once reality sets in,and it will, Tesla is going to drop like a rock. This could take 3 months or 24 months but it will happen. An automobile company simply isn’t worth the multiple that Tesla has right now.

Competition is slowly but surely coming to market.

Based on my decades of investing in the market Tesla looks like a dot com stock. Once reality sets in,and it will, Tesla is going to drop like a rock. This could take 3 months or 24 months but it will happen. An automobile company simply isn’t worth the multiple that Tesla has right now.

Loading up on puts?

Tesla is positioning itself to be more of a technology and battery/energy company than a traditional automobile company. They just happen to focus on making cars first.

Reactions: 2 users

It's more than an automobile company tho. The sky is the limit..or is it.

sold all mine last week at 1500 missed out on a bit and will definitely buy back at some point as I believe in the company but this is absurd

today TSLA went down 21% to 330$. Still P/E is 850. How does a stock in April was 200$ and now in span of few months Is 0ver 2000$? How far can this reality be stretched and defy gravity. Battery technology lol

check out PLUG, FCEL. My surgeon friends father is a researcher in hydrogen power and he swears that he is inundated with research work and Bought a lot of PLUG at 1-3 $ average cost. Sharing what I know. Not investment advice. Potential seems to be there, however the chart looks ugly

NKLA, shorts are getting decimated. Chart looks bad. May be another pump and dump scheme.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tesla's stock has gone parabolic. That means the stock is way over-hyped and over-valued. Musk is now the 7th richest person in the world.

There are 2 other electric car companies out there getting ready to launch products. The valuation of Tesla just doesn't add up.

The real value of a stock is what it can be sold for. The idea that stock value is linked to the corporations' profitability, or P:E ratio, or some other metric only holds if everyone else is using those metrics to value the stock. In reality this isn't the case. Large hedge funds, wealthy investors, money managers, etc. have the financial means to influence the value of a stock in ways that the average investor cannot. If you're assuming the value of a stock is based off supply-demand, a large hedge fund, like Citadel, can influence the value of Tesla stock just by buying large quantities of stock.

If there are 1000 shares of a stock and current supply-demand equilibrium dictates those shares are valued at $10/share. 1 share can be bought at $10. But if you buy 100 of those shares, you decrease the supply and increase the demand for shares. A new supply-demand equilibrium point is met and those shares are now worth more than $10/share, maybe $20/share. As a physisican, or small investor, you don't have the ability to buy enough shares to increase the value of the stock in a meaningful way, but a large hedge fund does. And while they are doing that, they can hire PR firms to push "news" showing Tesla in a favorable light. So on your apple iPhone news app, or stocks app, or Bloomberg, you starting seeing articles stating "Tesla Sky-Rocketing as soon to be included in the S&P." And then all the dumb money (e.g. physicians, small business owners, wannabe day-traders) start buying Tesla stock. Then the large hedge, slowly, starts selling shares and making real money.

The whole idea that a stock is linked to corporations' profitability doesn't correlate with reality. In an ideal world, when a corporation has a profitable quarter, those profits are distributed amongst share holders as dividends. The reality is that when one of these large corporations has a great quarter, the CEO, board, and high level executives give themselves fat bonuses. Or do issue dividends but only after they have issued themselves additional shares (that the average investor would have had to paid real money for). They take the lion share of profits for themselves. There is no contract stating profits be equally distributed through dividends, so why would anyone expect them to do that??? The stock market is a Ponzi scheme. The only real value of a stock is what you can convince someone to pay for a piece of paper that has no intrinsic value. If the value of the stock drops to zero and you hold 10k shares, does the corporation liquidate it's assets to provide you with some money on those 10k pieces of paper you bought for $100/share? Hahaha, nope... The people who win out are the heads of the corporation, the investment banks who hold the IPO, and the large investment funds who are able to convince the dumb money to buy meaningless pieces of paper individually, through their 401k, or money manager. It's a house of cards.

Reactions: 3 users
The real value of a stock is what it can be sold for. The idea that stock value is linked to the corporations' profitability, or P:E ratio, or some other metric only holds if everyone else is using those metrics to value the stock. In reality this isn't the case. Large hedge funds, wealthy investors, money managers, etc. have the financial means to influence the value of a stock in ways that the average investor cannot. If you're assuming the value of a stock is based off supply-demand, a large hedge fund, like Citadel, can influence the value of Tesla stock just by buying large quantities of stock.

If there are 1000 shares of a stock and current supply-demand equilibrium dictates those shares are valued at $10/share. 1 share can be bought at $10. But if you buy 100 of those shares, you decrease the supply and increase the demand for shares. A new supply-demand equilibrium point is met and those shares are now worth more than $10/share, maybe $20/share. As a physisican, or small investor, you don't have the ability to buy enough shares to increase the value of the stock in a meaningful way, but a large hedge fund does. And while they are doing that, they can hire PR firms to push "news" showing Tesla in a favorable light. So on your apple iPhone news app, or stocks app, or Bloomberg, you starting seeing articles stating "Tesla Sky-Rocketing as soon to be included in the S&P." And then all the dumb money (e.g. physicians, small business owners, wannabe day-traders) start buying Tesla stock. Then the large hedge, slowly, starts selling shares and making real money.

The whole idea that a stock is linked to corporations' profitability doesn't correlate with reality. In an ideal world, when a corporation has a profitable quarter, those profits are distributed amongst share holders as dividends. The reality is that when one of these large corporations has a great quarter, the CEO, board, and high level executives give themselves fat bonuses. Or do issue dividends but only after they have issued themselves additional shares (that the average investor would have had to paid real money for). They take the lion share of profits for themselves. There is no contract stating profits be equally distributed through dividends, so why would anyone expect them to do that??? The stock market is a Ponzi scheme. The only real value of a stock is what you can convince someone to pay for a piece of paper that has no intrinsic value. If the value of the stock drops to zero and you hold 10k shares, does the corporation liquidate it's assets to provide you with some money on those 10k pieces of paper you bought for $100/share? Hahaha, nope... The people who win out are the heads of the corporation, the investment banks who hold the IPO, and the large investment funds who are able to convince the dumb money to buy meaningless pieces of paper individually, through their 401k, or money manager. It's a house of cards.
I agree with this. The stock market is NOT efficient - as everyone who loves the market argues. When you bring up something like TSLA, or ask how it was that AAPL dropped in value in one day like it did several years ago - they spew some BS about how it is efficient over time. Well yeah, eventually, as the stock moves up, then down, then crashes, then rises - at some point, the stock will cross the companies real value, but that isn't really saying anything substantial or reproducible.

Reactions: 1 users

ok, so what types of real estate investments do you own? :D

With warrant and naked shorting, financial success is just plain luck. Watch Patrick Byrne, this came outseveral years ago. It’s easy to find character flaws, but can Wall Street debate the message?

Tesla's entry into the S and P 500 has fueled its latest run. The competition is slowly coming to Tesla. I'd rather own NIO long term than Tesla at current prices. But, I have been wrong about TESLA for the last 1,000 points so if the buyers think its worth owning here the stock will keep going up.

Anyone, other than me, have a big position here with the plan of holding long term?

All I know is that it has gone up 45% since purchase and no one can predict the future.

If the jokers at jp morgan knew anything they would be printing money, not periodicals. I'm sticking with my strategy of buying every month and holding for long term. Every time I read people try to explain how options trading is foolproof with guaranteed 20% returns my head hurts.

Last edited:

Tesla's entry into the S and P 500 has fueled its latest run. The competition is slowly coming to Tesla. I'd rather own NIO long term than Tesla at current prices. But, I have been wrong about TESLA for the last 1,000 points so if the buyers think its worth owning here the stock will keep going up.

I agree that Tesla is wildly overvalued and a lot of it has to do with publicity stunts and hype. Musk is a showman. There is nothing inherently unique or proprietary with tesla tech although they make it sound that way. They may be several years ahead but the gap is narrowing as we speak and no where explain their market cap. When Toyota talked about solid state battery tech potentially being available next year that allowed charging ij 10 minutes THAT is a game changer but didn't have as much fanfare as Tesla naming their cars S3XY, or "autopilot", or their other nonsense. There is a huge fanboy following for tesla. Anyways i bought in tesla at about 300 and will hold on until 1 year had elapsed before I liquidate my holdings.

I think Tesla has a good long term potential. Biden admin will push for non-fossil energy. Ca has set up a goal to phase out gas car. But how bumpy is the journey, I don’t know. We are unloading the stock as it has increased 10x. Consider to buy again if it drops significantly (wishful thinking?)

I think Tesla has a good long term potential. Biden admin will push for non-fossil energy. Ca has set up a goal to phase out gas car. But how bumpy is the journey, I don’t know. We are unloading the stock as it has increased 10x. Consider to buy again if it drops significantly (wishful thinking?)

No argument from me that the future is elective vehicles. Tesla will be among the leaders. But, there are many others that will offer superior technology or cheaper cars. Musk has done a fantastic job of marketing his product. The valuation of Tesla is extreme and that will remain so until the market begins to see real competition.

No argument from me that the future is elective vehicles. Tesla will be among the leaders. But, there are many others that will offer superior technology or cheaper cars. Musk has done a fantastic job of marketing his product. The valuation of Tesla is extreme and that will remain so until the market begins to see real competition.

Nothing is extreme since there is no longer a correlation between market fundamentals and stock price. Its pure speculative plays since there are no "safe" interest earning assets at this time and the Fed has been printing money like crazy. I suggest you get a reddit account and subscribe to r/wallstreetbets . If you're going to debate stocks and prices, at least have fun doing it like they do. #diamondhands .

Tesla’s market cap has increased by more than $500 billion in 2020, and is now worth as much as the combined market cap of the nine largest car companies globally.

I love this market. It is driving the analysts crazy. It’s fun to watch them explain prices based in P/E ratios. What a joke. Cathy Wood and Ron Baron seem to be the only ones who get it.

I don't have an opinion as to where Tesla's stock is going. I don't need to chase individual stocks and beat the market to hit my goals, so I don't try. But it's interesting to watch from afar, and it makes me think of Amazon a little.

Remember when Amazon only sold books? Long ago, Amazon was an online "book store" that got more and more overvalued as a "book store" ... and then it turned into something more than a place that sold books.

At times I wonder if the criticism of Tesla's valuation as a "car maker" is missing the point in the same way. If all Tesla ever does is more of what they're doing today (make cars with eco-box interiors and questionable quality that run on batteries instead of gasoline) yeah it's ridiculously overvalued. But let's all smoke a little virtual LSD for a moment and imagine Tesla ends up becoming a technology company that happens to make cars but really creates the energy and transportation infrastructure for Africa. Or Mars.

That's what I think the investors driving up the cost of Tesla are hoping. It's not about the cars, it's about what Elon Musk is going to conjure that changes the world the way SpaceX changed aerospace.

Reactions: 7 users
I don't have an opinion as to where Tesla's stock is going. I don't need to chase individual stocks and beat the market to hit my goals, so I don't try. But it's interesting to watch from afar, and it makes me think of Amazon a little.

Remember when Amazon only sold books? Long ago, Amazon was an online "book store" that got more and more overvalued as a "book store" ... and then it turned into something more than a place that sold books.

At times I wonder if the criticism of Tesla's valuation as a "car maker" is missing the point in the same way. If all Tesla ever does is more of what they're doing today (make cars with eco-box interiors and questionable quality that run on batteries instead of gasoline) yeah it's ridiculously overvalued. But let's all smoke a little virtual LSD for a moment and imagine Tesla ends becoming up a technology company that happens to make cars but really creates the energy and transportation infrastructure for Africa. Or Mars.

That's what I think the investors driving up the cost of Tesla are hoping. It's not about the cars, it's about what Elon Musk is going to conjure that changes the world the way SpaceX changed aerospace.

Elon Musk would just create separate companies for those other entities u speak of. Space X is not part of Tesla. Neither is the Boring Company.

There are definitely reasons to be bearish. Cars are commodities and the market is pretty efficient. Profit margins are (usually) small. Even if Tesla has a big cost/quality advantage right now with electric, eventually things will plateau and the electric car market of the future will be like the gas care market now.

Reasons to be bullish as well though. If they can drive the self-driving car market they could easily become the dominant player in car rental, public transit, essentially take over the uber/taxi market and smart grid/energy storage. If they continue breakthroughs on the battery tech side that tech could be a huge moneymaker through tech licensing. But the bull case definitely depends on them being much more then a company that sells cars.

At times I wonder if the criticism of Tesla's valuation as a "car maker" is missing the point in the same way. If all Tesla ever does is more of what they're doing today (make cars with eco-box interiors and questionable quality that run on batteries instead of gasoline) yeah it's ridiculously overvalued. But let's all smoke a little virtual LSD for a moment and imagine Tesla ends up becoming a technology company that happens to make cars but really creates the energy and transportation infrastructure for Africa. Or Mars.

I remember when my brother and I got one of these. There was no such thing as an iPod or iPhone at the time.

78430B94-D50A-4B43-929F-CD87E4965B1A.jpeg

I remember when I used to frequent this board that you were looking to make $10 mil in investments, have you reached that goal? Also does jetpropilot still frequent these boards?
Popped in a couple months ago to give a few people a hard time but no, not usually present.