test anxiety, and losing my motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajswiss

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will preface this with saying that I have never ever experienced anything like this before in my life. This term in school I am taking a pre-calc/trig class and have recently began BOMBING the tests. I am studying my usual amount (about 3-4 hours a week, with an extra 5 or so hours thrown in a day or two before the test). This method has always worked for me in the past, and until the last two tests, has been working for this class. I understand the material through and through. I do the homework no problem. But then, the minute I sit down to take the test my mind goes blank, and it's as if I am looking at the material for the first time. I don't seem to have this problem in my physics class though.

Anyway, I guess this is what they call test anxiety? Does anyone else experience this? How do I handle it?? I am very worried that this is going to start happening in my other classes. I don't even know what is triggering it! I am now getting a low B in the class, which is going to have a bad effect on my GPA. If this happens on the next test, I'll get a C in the class. If this starts happening in other classes, I am going to be in trouble...

ALSO, this is leading to a real drop in motivation. I feel like, "whats the the point?" It is making me wonder if I will even be able to get into med school! I know this may seem a little overly dramatic, but it is causing alot of anxiety for me.

I would love some advice

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You've seen what the tests are like (lots of problems, right?). Studying for math means working problems. You should be working every single assigned problem without looking at solutions. When you've done the best you can then you need to study (meaning: work) through the solution and learn from it, if you didn't nail it. Ideally you should work every problem you can find - ask the professor for more if you need to. Force yourself to understand what's being asked, and to understand why a method will work or not work.

There's a ton of evidence that math ability is about work ethic, not smarts. It's an incorrect American conception that people can be "bad" at math. You're not done when the clock says you're done; you're done when you can solve the problems by yourself.

Best of luck to you.

I agree with Dr. Midlife's advice: do lots of problems until you can do them in your sleep. But in addition, if you think you're experiencing a "stage fright"-like physical reaction (heart pounding, dry mouth, shallow breathing), it might be worth asking your doctor to prescribe some medication to help you. I had this problem in my bio class, and my doctor prescribed beta blockers, which slow the heart rate and tamp down on the "stage fright." This really helped me feel calmer on the tests, which allowed me to remember what I knew and get much better grades.

This kind of medication might not be right for everyone, but it might be worth looking into.

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate the advice.

I know it's not an issue of NOT knowing the material. I do the homework that is assigned as well as each problem before or after, which means I am doing about twice the assigned homework. Also, I do the homework without looking at the answers in the back of the book, and without reviewing the chapter. And also as I said, this is a new occurrence. I was doing just fine in the class before- acing all the tests. I know the material.

I am generally not one to jump to prescribed meds... but that sure does sound like what I need!

I appreciate the advice.

I know it's not an issue of NOT knowing the material. I do the homework that is assigned as well as each problem before or after, which means I am doing about twice the assigned homework. Also, I do the homework without looking at the answers in the back of the book, and without reviewing the chapter. And also as I said, this is a new occurrence. I was doing just fine in the class before- acing all the tests. I know the material.

I am generally not one to jump to prescribed meds... but that sure does sound like what I need!

Given the above, I'd also recommend beta blockers. If these make a difference for you, awesome. Over several months, wean yourself off them by using non-pharm stress reduction techniques. Exercise and caffeine avoidance are my favorites.

Go get 'em.

Just as a clarification, I didn't take beta blockers every day; I just took a single dose of a short-acting one right before each test. The effect wore off after a couple of hours, which was exactly what I needed.