Test Center Complaint

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gongshow89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if anyone can give me some advice on whether or not to write a formal complaint to AAMC. On my test date of Sept 8th, my test was delayed for approximately 2 hours from my start time of 8 am. This was due to the fact that test center staff were not aware of our start time and thought the exam was at 1:00 pm. I understand that medicine is a career of unpredicatable variables, as well I'm also aware that The MCAT Essentials outlines that it may take alittle over an hour to get everyone into the test center. However, I feel that the standarized conditions that AAMC has set were not followed and as a results may have hindered my performance. I have spent many months and took many practise exams in preparing for this exam so I find it very unprofessional for the test center staff to mistaken the time of our exam.

Do I have a valid complaint? Any advice or comments are welcome!

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure the question here is whether you have a valid complaint, but rather what you want them to do about it. Are you asking to retake the test free of charge?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm gonna disagree here....... Testing center employees have to be responsible adults.

Call up AAMC and tell them the situation. The testing center should be better informed then this.

I'd say its valid. A bit on the minor side but valid

I'm gonna disagree here....... Testing center employees have to be responsible adults.

Call up AAMC and tell them the situation. The testing center should be better informed then this.

I'd say its valid. A bit on the minor side but valid
Valid for what outcome? +2 points? Employee scolding? Free void + retake?

Complaining for the sake of complaining is silly.

Valid for what outcome? +2 points? Employee scolding? Free void + retake?

Complaining for the sake of complaining is silly.

Complaining to get the testing center to have well informed employees who do their job properly.

This is weak. You sound like you are trying to get an excuse.

Excuse? No, I haven't recieved any results yet..I may have done just fine.

Thanks iceman123, I think you're right. This is alittle weak but I think I'll just let it be.

The MCAT is obviously a test that can have a great impact on the careers of many and I felt it was unprofessional of the staff to be unaware of the proper time that the test was to be written at. The point of the complaint would be to make AAMC more aware of the issue and impact it had on all the test takers at that site. Many of the people I was writing with were very bothered by this situation, not just me.

Anyways, thanks everyone for giving their input.

I'd have to agree with iceman as well. As long as OP is not complaining that the delayed test hindered his results, I'd say file a complaint. This is extremely unprofessional, considering students have been studying for months. Just as they expect you to be on time, you should have the same expectations from them.

I'd have to agree with iceman as well. As long as OP is not complaining that the delayed test hindered his results, I'd say file a complaint. This is extremely unprofessional, considering students have been studying for months. Just as they expect you to be on time, you should have the same expectations from them.

Agree

Nah, the complaint is too weak. Not even towards the staff at the testing center- stuff happens. Human error, memos lost in cyberspace, ect. As long as the computers don't go black-screen in the middle of the exam and it's relatively quiet, there should be nothing to complain about. Besides, how is taking it at 10 any different from taking it at 8? I'm sure this mix-up doesn't happen often anyways. Relax. MCAT's over amigo.

Last edited:
Nah, the complaint is too weak. Not even towards the staff at the testing center- stuff happens. Human error, memos lost in cyberspace, ect. As long as the computers don't go black-screen in the middle of the exam and it's relatively quiet, there should be nothing to complain about. Besides, how is taking it at 10 any different from taking it at 8? I'm sure this mix-up doesn't happen often anyways. Relax. MCAT's over amigo.

I am really shocked at all the premeds mentality here. This is such a lazy way to think. People have to be accountable for their actions.

Think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Japan

Japanese railways are among the most punctual in the world. The average delay on the Tokaido Shinkansen in fiscal 2006 was only 0.3 minutes.[9] When trains are delayed for as little as five minutes, the conductor makes an announcement apologizing for the delay and the railway company may provide a "delay certificate" (遅延証明書), as no one would expect a train to be this late. Japanese passengers rely heavily on rail transit and take it for granted that trains operate on time. When trains are delayed for an hour or more, it may even appear in the newspaper.

I am really shocked at all the premeds mentality here. This is such a lazy way to think. People have to be accountable for their actions.

Think of this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Japan

Japanese railways are among the most punctual in the world. The average delay on the Tokaido Shinkansen in fiscal 2006 was only 0.3 minutes.[9] When trains are delayed for as little as five minutes, the conductor makes an announcement apologizing for the delay and the railway company may provide a "delay certificate" (遅延証明書), as no one would expect a train to be this late. Japanese passengers rely heavily on rail transit and take it for granted that trains operate on time. When trains are delayed for an hour or more, it may even appear in the newspaper.

cool story bro...seriously though I agree with you that premeds here are so immature..well most of them but there are some of my favourite guys here including Codeblu, Paul, Muhali, Kehlsh, LizzyM, NickNaylor...etc. These people are truly mature and only post on stuff that they truly know about.

Members don't see this ad :)
cool story bro...seriously though I agree with you that premeds here are so immature..well most of them but there are some of my favourite guys here including Codeblu, Paul, Muhali, Kehlsh, LizzyM, NickNaylor...etc. These people are truly mature and only post on stuff that they truly know about.

How did this become a discussion about 'premed immaturity,' if that's even a real term. All they were saying is that waiting 1 extra hour over what the AAMC says you must be prepared for is not a big deal.

How did this become a discussion about 'premed immaturity,' if that's even a real term. All they were saying is that waiting 1 extra hour over what the AAMC says you must be prepared for is not a big deal.

2 hours according to the opener :p

And threads can evolve anyway they want to. Welcome to the Internet.

Immaturity?
Seems to me like forgiving/forgetting about the human error based around a measly two hour delay on your MCAT is more mature than trying to take advantage of the situation in God knows what ways. What does the poster even want?

I mean, I'll give this much: if you feel like the two hours extra you waited for an exam you've been prepping for for months harmed your score, contact someone and get another free test day. They do give those out for serious cases of disruption. If out of the goodness of your heart (BS) you want to make sure no one ever goes through the trouble and suffering :wtf: the two hour delay may have caused you, contact someone and file complaint. Then leave it at that.

But if you want to get 2-3 points slapped on your score, . That's essentially cheating everyone else out of a normalized curve (no matter how small the effect is) and giving you more than you deserve- besides, adaption to stress/situation is going to be the norm as a MD/DO.

Still, I don't see the use in the complaint. I think I have a better argument saying "When I was taking the Bio section, people were taking the writing portion and the sound of the keyboards being typed away at hindered my performance."

Take it easy chief.

I really cannot believe some of the quotes above... Is no one responsible for their actions (or inaction) anymore?

Didn't the OP pay MONEY to take this test? A LOT of money, like the rest of us?? For that money, I expect to take the test on time (within reason, and a 2 hour delay is not within reason), in a quiet, clean environment, with a working computer.

The OP paid the fee, and showed up on time, fulfilling his/her end of the bargain. The testing center failed on their end.

You should report them. I doubt YOU will get anything out of it, but at a minimum, the AAMC needs to know about this so they can decide whether to renew/revoke this particular test center's contract. If they get enough complaints, they will drop the test center, and at least that will spare future MCAT'ers from dealing with the same crap.

Yes, people make mistakes. But, we should all be accountable for those mistakes. The fact that so many future doctors apparently would dismiss human responsibility into the ether is amazing to me....

It doesn't seem that you want something from the mistake. You're annoyed and would like to know that they can't do this willy nilly, that in the future they'll get things started on time and know when a test is supposed to be administered. That's a customer service complaint not a whiny pre-med complaint and since AAMC is contracting these centers to administer the tests I think it's valid for you to give them a call and let them know about your unpleasant experience.

I'd also agree that this is a valid customer service type complaint and AAMC needs to know about it. I wouldn't expect to get anything out of it except for an apology and a "we'll look into it."

It's unprofessional, and the AAMC notes that it can take an hour to get all the people checked in for the test. That's a big difference from it taking the staff to take two hours to arrive and start checking people in for the test. Some of the test takers may have jobs to go to, child care issues, transportation (local and non-local), etc revolving around the estimated time for the test.

If it was such an inconvienence, the OP would have called the AAMC that morning to report the claim and get the situation resolved ASAP. Was it an annoyance? Yes.
Was it detrimental enough for the OP to be proactive and not reactive? Clearly not.

If it was such an inconvienence, the OP would have called the AAMC that morning to report the claim and get the situation resolved ASAP. Was it an annoyance? Yes.
Was it detrimental enough for the OP to be proactive and not reactive? Clearly not.

That's why the opener is asking our opinion. Some people want the input of others and don't act on impulse.

Immaturity?
Seems to me like forgiving/forgetting about the human error based around a measly two hour delay on your MCAT is more mature than trying to take advantage of the situation in God knows what ways. What does the poster even want?

I mean, I'll give this much: if you feel like the two hours extra you waited for an exam you've been prepping for for months harmed your score, contact someone and get another free test day. They do give those out for serious cases of disruption. If out of the goodness of your heart (BS) you want to make sure no one ever goes through the trouble and suffering :wtf: the two hour delay may have caused you, contact someone and file complaint. Then leave it at that.

But if you want to get 2-3 points slapped on your score, . That's essentially cheating everyone else out of a normalized curve (no matter how small the effect is) and giving you more than you deserve- besides, adaption to stress/situation is going to be the norm as a MD/DO.

Still, I don't see the use in the complaint. I think I have a better argument saying "When I was taking the Bio section, people were taking the writing portion and the sound of the keyboards being typed away at hindered my performance."

Take it easy chief.

My goodness? Really?

Did the opener ask for more points? A free retake? Their money back? NO.

Why are people making all these ridiculous assumptions.

The test center screwed up and should be accountable. I think the opener would be a more responsible human being for taking the time to complain to the AAMC instead of letting these dorks delay the test for two hours.

That's why the opener is asking our opinion. Some people want the input of others and don't act on impulse.
Sigh...Why would it be impulsive to try and reach a solution prior to taking the test?

Too much passive in this thread. It was either a big enough problem to do something about then or its just something to complain about on a message board.

Seriously. Go ahead and complain. It will make you feel better, nothing will change, and your complaint is going to go right into the circular file.

Sigh...Why would it be impulsive to try and reach a solution prior to taking the test?

Too much passive in this thread. It was either a big enough problem to do something about then or its just something to complain about on a message board.

Seriously. Go ahead and complain. It will make you feel better, nothing will change, and your complaint is going to go right into the circular file.

... Reach a solution prior to taking the test? You mean during that time period when your waiting 2 hours and you have little to no clue what's going on?

Nothing will change? Believe me, if our founding fathers had that attitude we'd be having tea and crumpets right now.

... Reach a solution prior to taking the test? You mean during that time period when your waiting 2 hours and you have little to no clue what's going on?

Nothing will change? Believe me, if our founding fathers had that attitude we'd be having tea and crumpets right now.
Its either such a big deal that you want to NOT take the test that day because it has messed with you so much so you call AAMC and work it out.

OR

Its not such a big deal and you take it anyway, get standard test conditions DURING the test and you chalk to up to poor testing center employees. Complaining after the fact really does nothing. You keep thinking you'll change the world, one prometric center at a time.

Jesus, I can't believe how most people think in here. Relax guys, the OP is not going to gain any extra points in his test and he did not even mention that he wants any extra points. He is saying that he should notify them so that this thing does not happen in the near future with him or any one else.

And also, it makes a lot of difference to take the test at 10 instead of 8. The nervousness goes up more when you are there sitting in the test center. Plus you might of forget some material that you reviewed and don't have with you in hand anymore. A lot of things will go on during these 2 hours.

And I said immature about those people who reply with such judgement and bad way of talking not about those people who disagree with him. You can disagree but you should also answer politely.

OP, You shouldn't ask premeds about this. They are all taking the MCAT with you and I'm pretty sure most wouldn't want you to get any benefits from this situation even though you are not going to benefit for yourself. Ask one of the experts in here if you have to. LizzyM is a faculty member, not a premed, and knows the in and out of everything.

Its either such a big deal that you want to NOT take the test that day because it has messed with you so much so you call AAMC and work it out.

OR

Its not such a big deal and you take it anyway, get standard test conditions DURING the test and you chalk to up to poor testing center employees. Complaining after the fact really does nothing. You keep thinking you'll change the world, one prometric center at a time.

When you are sitting there having no idea what is going on before the biggest exam in your life up to that point your first thought isn't "I better call AAMC right now."

Come on man be real. Do you think every pre-med has the AAMC number logged away in their phone during the MCat? I don't. I didn't even bring my phone inside the center.

It's a valid minor complaint. Unprofessional and the center should be reprimanded. Enough complaints and you'll get there.

Your whole "You shouldn't complain" attitude is just ridiculous. Go tell that to black people during Jim Crow.

When you are sitting there having no idea what is going on before the biggest exam in your life up to that point your first thought isn't "I better call AAMC right now."

Come on man be real. Do you think every pre-med has the AAMC number logged away in their phone during the MCat? I don't. I didn't even bring my phone inside the center.

It's a valid minor complaint. Unprofessional and the center should be reprimanded. Enough complaints and you'll get there.

Your whole "You shouldn't complain" attitude is just ridiculous. Go tell that to black people during Jim Crow.
:rolleyes: Equating a 2 hour inconvenience to Jim Crow? Really?

If it was a big enough inconvenience, I'm sure the test center has the AAMC # that they could give you.

:rolleyes: Equating a 2 hour inconvenience to Jim Crow? Really?

If it was a big enough inconvenience, I'm sure the test center has the AAMC # that they could give you.

Yes, really. The mentality is the exact same. (Although an extreme)

Imagine a white bus driver tells a black person to go to the back of the bus. By habit, the black person does. So the person shouldn't get pissed and complain after the fact? Because that's exactly what you're saying they should do.... because they didn't complain right at that moment.

Your stressed out and not thinking 100% straight during the test. Your first thought isn't to complain to AAMC.

Last edited:
Yes, really. The mentality is the exact same. (Although an extreme)

Imagine a white bus driver tells a black person to go to the back of the bus. By habit, the black person does. So the person shouldn't get pissed and complain after the fact? Because that's exactly what you're saying they should do.... because they didn't complain right at that moment.

Your stressed out and not thinking 100% straight during the test. Your first thought isn't to complain to AAMC.
Your examples are extreme and equating civil rights to a prometric MCAT administration is quite frankly shameful and demeaning to those who lived through it.

A much more realistic example would be if a waiter screws up your order at a restaurant. Would you ask to speak to the manager when this occurs for them to expedite your order

OR

Would you just suck it up, eat the food or sent it back and wait longer, then write the company a letter a week later saying how they screwed up and caused you an inconvenience?

Your examples are extreme and equating civil rights to a prometric MCAT administration is quite frankly shameful and demeaning to those who lived through it.

A much more realistic example would be if a waiter screws up your order at a restaurant. Would you ask to speak to the manager when this occurs for them to expedite your order

OR

Would you just suck it up, eat the food or sent it back and wait longer, then write the company a letter a week later saying how they screwed up and caused you an inconvenience?

I already said it was an extreme. It's the mentality we're talking about and far from demeaning.

I'm not saying Civil rights = Taking a test at the prometric center late. I am saying the attitude is the same. (Sticking up for yourself because of incompetence) You have to take these things in context.

You are minimizing it by comparing it to ordering at a restaurant. A test which can determine your future for which some people study months (Years if you consider undergrad classes) for is far less important than eating at a restaurant.

I'd say writing a week later would be fine also. The waiter should be reprimanded.

OR

I don't really think your situation applies when taking the mcat.. I couldn't talk to a "manager", demand my money back, or ask for a new mcat. Nothing can really be done at the time. You just have to sit back and make the best of the situation and that's what I did. However, it doesn't excuse the fact that there was negligence in the staff's administration of the exam.

After preparing for months and paying a substantial amount of money for a test that maintains all the neccessary controls (such as temperature, time, and noise level) in place to ensure a fair exam is administered, I expect that these standards to be met.

I'm not looking for points added (I doubt that has ever occured), or even money back. I simply want to voice my concern for the way the test was administered. I wondered if the complaint was on the minor side so that's why presented it to all of you.

Thanks for all the input.

My goodness? Really?

Did the opener ask for more points? A free retake? Their money back? NO.

Why are people making all these ridiculous assumptions.

The test center screwed up and should be accountable. I think the opener would be a more responsible human being for taking the time to complain to the AAMC instead of letting these dorks delay the test for two hours.

I'm not bashing the opener. I'm bashing the guy I'm replying to for calling the general response of "live and let die" immature. It's not. It's rather mature. Things happen. Like I said, if this happens to you, or anyone else, go ask AAMC to take the test free of charge again. And maybe void his exam. They'll let ya. But that's about it. What else could they possibly do? Time machine? Write "Faced extenuating circumstances" on his application next to his MCAT score?

Geesh. Why is everyone so uptight and on edge?

I'm not bashing the opener. I'm bashing the guy I'm replying to for calling the general response of "live and let die" immature. It's not. It's rather mature. Things happen. Like I said, if this happens to you, or anyone else, go ask AAMC to take the test free of charge again. And maybe void his exam. They'll let ya. But that's about it. What else could they possibly do? Time machine? Write "Faced extenuating circumstances" on his application next to his MCAT score?

Haha relax man, its probably because everyone is waiting for their score and that's why they are nervous and I'm one of them. Good luck to you too buddy!

"live and let die" is fine up to a point.

Also lazy depending on the circumstance.

What pisses me off isn't saying "I think you should just drop it"..... What is annoying is people calling the opener a crybaby who wants points back when he has done nothing of the sort. THAT is immature.

If I was in the situation? I might drop it, HOWEVER I would have every right to complain about such terrible employees.

Totally valid complaint imo. OP probably had the entire MCAT-needed knowledge crammed into his head the morning of the test, and having to wait 2 hours for his short-term memory to deplete probably cost him 10 points or more.

Actually, sometimes waiting is the more appropriate thing to do. I'm sure the OP made his/her disapproval of the situation known on the day of to the staff but in a subtle, non-aggressive way. But he/she had more important things to worry about--like acing the MCAT and staying in the right mindset! The call to inform AAMC about the situation should have been made later, when the real priority of the day had been handled.

And getting in touch with a company after a situation does work. I once had an airport shuttle arrive very late. During the whole experience I did contact the company but not to b*tch, just to get the ride I desperately needed to get to the airport on time. After the experience I sent in a composed letter and explained my reasons for wanting my pre-paid fare back. They refunded everything and sent a letter of apology. Now OP doesn't seem to want anything in this situation but the point is that the window of feedback has not ended simply because OP didn't contact AAMC as the situation was happening.

Totally valid complaint imo. OP probably had the entire MCAT-needed knowledge crammed into his head the morning of the test, and having to wait 2 hours for his short-term memory to deplete probably cost him 10 points or more.

Excellent point. :thumbup: