Test Day & Back Pain

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caitlinh_3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel silly even asking this, but it seems they are extremely strict regarding what you can and cannot have in the room on Test Day, according to the AAMC site.

I have chronic back pain (#nurselife) and, since starting to take practice full-lengths, have noticed that by the 2nd or 3rd section I'm extremely uncomfortable, and it's very distracting. It's too late for me to apply for accommodations.

Q1: can I have Advil in my locker to take on breaks?
Q2: can I stretch on my breaks?
Q3: I have these thin heat compress wraps/patches that go on my back, under my shirt, and provide some relief when I otherwise cannot get up and stretch. They just stay warm for 8 hrs. Is this okay? I don't think I want to wear one if I'm going to be stressed about "getting caught" (?). And, if I did get "caught", would they just tell me to remove it and leave it outside, or would I get kicked out, reported, etc...? Obviously I don't want to break any serious rules, but I'm worried I won't be able to sit the whole thing without it.

Any clarity would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

They generally tie our legs when we sit, and hang us up side down during the break (which would help relieve your back pain). As for your questions:

A1: Yes you can. Just let them know prior to taking the test (I recommend taking a new unopened bottle), and make sure not to keep any notes in your locker. For an added safety, I suggest you give them a call or visit the office you're going to be tested at and ask.
A2: Yes, but not too extreme (ex: splits).
A3: During the test, no you won't be aloud to use it. During the break, it depends. Some testing centers are, for odd reasons, more or less strict for specific things. Therefore, I would call and ask.
Goodluck!

Reactions: 1 user
I have bulging discs in my back, so chronic back pain as well. I brought icy hot back patches to use for test day last time I took the MCAT :) I

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your replies! I did as Dr. Trenb suggested, and called the testing centre manager. He was very helpful and said I could bring the patch and show it to them, without fear of getting in trouble. I guess each centre is different in its degree of strictness.

As for the Biofreeze and Tiger Balm suggestions, do they have a strong smell? I have Rub A535, but it's super menthol-smelling... I don't want to apply it on my lunch break and then get kicked out for distracting anyone haha.

Thanks everyone :)

Honestly the icy hot back patch worked best for me though, because it lasts the longest.

Holy crap.

giphy.gif

Just put the patch on right before you leave for the center or right before you go inside. No one is going to know/care.