Spin

me right round baby
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2007
Florida
Status
Medical Student
On test day, can you bring an mp3 player and listen to it during breaks? I remember reading somewhere that you can't use cell phones or look at study material, so now I'm worried that they won't let me even use my mp3 player to relax (since technically you could put audio osmosis study material on it).

If no mp3 players are allowed on the breaks, what about reading novels? What did you guys do to relax during your breaks?

Also, the AAMC practice CBT essay buttons for "paste" "cut" and "copy" don't work for me; they cause an error and then everything I've written disappears! The ctrl-C, ctrl-X, and ctrl-V short cuts work just fine, though. Do ctrl-C, ctrl-X, and ctrl-V work during the real test? Has anyone had their essay disappear because of the "paste" "cut" and "copy" buttons during the real test?

Thanks!
Spin

PS: I wanna give a shout out to all y'all SDNers testing this Saturday! We are gonna ROCK this female dog.

ronaldo23

The Truth
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 28, 2007
Status
Medical Student
On test day, can you bring an mp3 player and listen to it during breaks? I remember reading somewhere that you can't use cell phones or look at study material, so now I'm worried that they won't let me even use my mp3 player to relax (since technically you could put audio osmosis study material on it).

If no mp3 players are allowed on the breaks, what about reading novels? What did you guys do to relax during your breaks?

Also, the AAMC practice CBT essay buttons for "paste" "cut" and "copy" don't work for me; they cause an error and then everything I've written disappears! The ctrl-C, ctrl-X, and ctrl-V short cuts work just fine, though. Do ctrl-C, ctrl-X, and ctrl-V work during the real test? Has anyone had their essay disappear because of the "paste" "cut" and "copy" buttons during the real test?

Thanks!
Spin

PS: I wanna give a shout out to all y'all SDNers testing this Saturday! We are gonna ROCK this female dog.
In response to your first question, no, you cannot use an mp3 player during break. It sucks, but I think the logic is that people could put notes/stuff on the mp3.

"reading a novel" during break is not the most supreme idea, especially considering you really only have a solid 6-7 minutes for break when you account for checking out and checking in. You will probably want to eat something and use the restroom and that's all you'll have time for. All you have time for is to mentally relax.

I don't remember if control c and control v work. But if you press escape without saving, your essay will be erased. Also I think instead of control c/v there is a copy/paste button at the top of the essay section, but i could be wrong.

rockaction

casemed'14
May 3, 2009
Status
Medical Student
By the time you thumb in and out, your break is really just 5-6 minutes. I used them to walk down the hall to the bathroom and back. I sat in a chair in the waiting room outside the testing room and stared blankly at the wall. It's about all you can do. I forgot my Cliff bar but I didn't notice cause I felt like sh!t anyway.

Oncoloman

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with the one above. I ate sugary snacks ( jelly sandwitches) and drank juice during my breaks. That way I was always ready to go for the next round.The more simple sugars the better (You need brain food not marathon food). DON'T read anything...you already have 22-23 long passages to read for the exam. I also paced around a bit to get rid of the nerves and to clear my mind. For some reason the other test takers didn't use their breaks. That was not a good idea telling by the past experiences of others on SDN...so I wouldn't do that. I think its easy to do so though, especially if you did bad on one section and feel the need to redeem yourself. Just take your time, there is no rush during those breaks. :thumbup: Have a great time. (haha)

DrSmday

7+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2010
Cali
Status
Pre-Medical
I agree with everything mentioned above about the breaks...

to answer your other question, I vaguely remember trying to use the Ctrl C Ctrl V during the writing section and it didn't work... so don't get used to it. You will have to use their copy/paste buttons.