Test in 6 days, big discrepancy between aamc sample and scored

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PNWDoctor

Class of 2022
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
NS 1 (125/127/126/126) = 504 (Taken 5/11)
NS 2 (125/128/126/127) = 506 (Taken 5/27)
AAMC Sample (81%/94%/75%/76%) = 513-516 according to Reddit (Taken 6/4)
AAMC Scored 1 (126/126/126/127) = 505 (Taken today)

As you can see my sample test is much higher than any of my other FLs by A LOT. I know it's supposed to be a lot easier than the scored aamc FLs, especially CARS, but seriously like 10 points easier?!? Is that normal?
Super disappointed at the results from the aamc scored 1 today, I was hoping for at least a 508-509. Also CARS has been my best section since I started studying, I have no idea what happened today. My test is this Friday and I'm debating whether or not I should void. I have been aiming for a 510+ but I don't know how likely it is that I will get there. I'm waiting to thoroughly review until tomorrow but just glancing over the incorrect questions is making me so frustrated, almost every single time I had the question narrowed down to two answers, picked the correct one initially then convinced myself the other answer was better and changed it :mad:

Should I void, or do I have a decent shot at 508+? If I don't take it this Friday I probably won't be able to take the test again until the end of summer or later, so I won't apply this cycle, and that's a tough pill to swallow. Anybody have similar scores as me that can offer some perspective or advice?

Also (if I don't void) what would you guys say is more important to do over the next week, aamc scored 2 or the section bank? I will probably only have time for one or the other if I want to properly review it

Thanks in advance. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello OP. I have a few questions for you.
1. Is this your first time taking the MCAT?
2. What year are you in? College Junior, non-trad, etc.?

Its not what you want to hear, but I suggest you do take the MCAT and void it. I've taken about 10 FLs from a variety of testtaking companies. I scored well on the sample and AAMC FL 1, but not so hot on AAMC FL 2 (verbal crashed).

You stated above that its not ideal to take the MCAT later in the summer for the sole reason of applying late. Everything you said is 100% is correct. However, if you take the MCAT now and don't score in that 508-510 range, you'll be in a tougher spot.

Nobody wants to take a gap year, I understand. But, if you take it now unprepared, you may find yourself in a gap year anyway, having to retake, and then being in a bad spot with two MCAT scores (never a good thing).

Take the MCAT this week - maybe it will go super well. If it is anything but that, void the exam. Come home. Relax. Get back to studying all summer and kick ass this later summer/Fall when you take the MCAT.

Hello OP. I have a few questions for you.
1. Is this your first time taking the MCAT?
2. What year are you in? College Junior, non-trad, etc.?

Its not what you want to hear, but I suggest you do take the MCAT and void it. I've taken about 10 FLs from a variety of testtaking companies. I scored well on the sample and AAMC FL 1, but not so hot on AAMC FL 2 (verbal crashed).

You stated above that its not ideal to take the MCAT later in the summer for the sole reason of applying late. Everything you said is 100% is correct. However, if you take the MCAT now and don't score in that 508-510 range, you'll be in a tougher spot.

Nobody wants to take a gap year, I understand. But, if you take it now unprepared, you may find yourself in a gap year anyway, having to retake, and then being in a bad spot with two MCAT scores (never a good thing).

Take the MCAT this week - maybe it will go super well. If it is anything but that, void the exam. Come home. Relax. Get back to studying all summer and kick ass this later summer/Fall when you take the MCAT.

Yes this is my first time taking it. I just graduated a few months ago and am planning on applying this summer, so I will already be taking a gap year. Sucks to think about it turning into a 2 year gap if I void this Friday.

I'm just going to give it everything I've got on Friday, and void if it feels liked I bombed or run out of time on any sections.
In your opinion is it more worth my while to hit the aamc section bank this week, or take the other aamc fl?

Members don't see this ad :)
MCAT score spreadsheet (shows people's practice test vs real scores):

Thanks for that. I was looking at this yesterday and it seems like a good chunk of people who scored similar to me on aamc scored 1 and the sample test did better on the real thing - though comparison is probably not helpful at this point. My test could go either way this Friday

Yes this is my first time taking it. I just graduated a few months ago and am planning on applying this summer, so I will already be taking a gap year. Sucks to think about it turning into a 2 year gap if I void this Friday.

I'm just going to give it everything I've got on Friday, and void if it feels liked I bombed or run out of time on any sections.
In your opinion is it more worth my while to hit the aamc section bank this week, or take the other aamc fl?
OP, I feel your pain. Its hard graduating and not being admitted somewhere, especially when all your peers are busy updating their Facebook profile pictures of them at their white coat ceremonies.

As of now, with a 505 on FL 1, you're good for DO. I know you might not want to hear this, but I came her to give you honest advice and constructive criticism, I can't openly support something I myself wouldn't do.

If you have one week left, and you haven't done any of the Section Bank or AAMC FL 2, you're in a very dangerous position. The Section Bank is the absolute best preparation available for the MCAT. Its 300 questions, and it took me, going slowly and very thoroughly about one month to get through it. The amount of information you learn from those passages is insane.

Additionally, AAMC FL 2 is (supposedly) the best indicator of what your actual test score will be.

What I recommend is this:
1. Take the MCAT this week
2. VOID THE EXAM.
3. Study all summer, take the MCAT in August, and apply then if you desperately want to avoid a second gap year. Keep in mind, the average first year student age across the country is 26 years old. 2 to 3 years is actually customary to get admitted.

If you take the MCAT this Friday and, hypothetically, score it and get a 499, what are you going to do? That score is stuck with you forever. Medical schools often state "we don't average scores, we only look at highest, etc." but that doesn't actually hide the score. The admissions committee will see that score and then, possibly a retake. With a 499 you'd have to retake. Now, when the admissions committees sees both scores vs. a one time high score, you're not looking too good. But, if you take the MCAT carefully this August and ace it (say you get a 515!) and apply June 2018 - yes that's another year off, but can you imagine all the doors that will open for you with a 515? OP, I've been in your spot, and I, foolishly, took the MCAT rushed - that bought me 2 gap years, and I'm looking at a third. Inbox me for more details.

IMO, voiding is a pretty extreme move, and not something that's good to plan on in advance. Maybe you had a bad test day on your AAMC FL1. I would advise waiting one day, then taking AAMC FL2. Skim passages, then go back to the passage (briefly!) on each question to look for clues. 90% of the time there are strong clues, if not outright answers, in the passages. Also, many (but not all) people score at least a few points higher on the real MCAT than they did on the AAMC practice exams, and higher than their NS FLs, too. I would only void if something HUGE happens on test day - you get violently ill, or freeze and don't answer half of a section or something. Your sample indicates good understanding - do your best and see how it plays out. Good luck!

IMO, voiding is a pretty extreme move, and not something that's good to plan on in advance. Maybe you had a bad test day on your AAMC FL1. I would advise waiting one day, then taking AAMC FL2. Skim passages, then go back to the passage (briefly!) on each question to look for clues. 90% of the time there are strong clues, if not outright answers, in the passages. Also, many (but not all) people score at least a few points higher on the real MCAT than they did on the AAMC practice exams, and higher than their NS FLs, too. I would only void if something HUGE happens on test day - you get violently ill, or freeze and don't answer half of a section or something. Your sample indicates good understanding - do your best and see how it plays out. Good luck!
@ChopinLiszt brings up a good point. I'm just very cautious; I prefer to play things safe. I, personally, would rather void, retake, gap year (looking at my 3rd right now...) vs having ANOTHER low MCAT score follow me around. Unfortunately, we can't erase the negative impacts of those scores :(.

OP, maybe you will find the exam super easy this week - if that's the case, follow your heart on the last question of the test (do you wish to have it scored or voided). Let us know how things turn out!

is the aamc fl 1 the same for everyone? when i took the exam i felt as if some of the passages were shorter than they should be does anyone know the average passage lengths for each section?

is the aamc fl 1 the same for everyone? when i took the exam i felt as if some of the passages were shorter than they should be does anyone know the average passage lengths for each section?
ALL AAMC Practice Materials are the same for everyone. This includes AAMC FL 1 as you inquired about. The average length, unfortunately, is sporadic in every section.

The only thing that does change is the score and percentile you receive with AAMC FL 1 and AAMC FL 2, and that's updated with current data the AAMC collects based on the academic years results of the actual MCAT exams administered.

Just to point out, the sample converters really aren't that accurate-- most people tend to be converted much higher on the sample than on the FL. I would keep the converted sample score in the back of my mind, and focus on real scores / the percentiles on the sample. Anyway, I wouldn't void. You should be solid.

Also, even if you score around a 505, you'll be solid for DO. I know a lot of people don't like to hear this, but honestly at this point with residencies merging and everything, there isn't too much of a difference. It's a solid option if you want to avoid having to take 2 gap years, should you not score where you want this Friday.

Reactions: 1 user
Just to point out, the sample converters really aren't that accurate-- most people tend to be converted much higher on the sample than on the FL. I would keep the converted sample score in the back of my mind, and focus on real scores / the percentiles on the sample. Anyway, I wouldn't void. You should be solid.

Also, even if you score around a 505, you'll be solid for DO. I know a lot of people don't like to hear this, but honestly at this point with residencies merging and everything, there isn't too much of a difference. It's a solid option if you want to avoid having to take 2 gap years, should you not score where you want this Friday.

Thanks. I have nothing against DOs at all. I am actually applying to majority DO schools. I just have a low gpa due to early college grades and hope to offset it with a good MCAT score. And I also just want a good score because I know I am definitely capable.

Thanks. I have nothing against DOs at all. I am actually applying to majority DO schools. I just have a low gpa due to early college grades and hope to offset it with a good MCAT score. And I also just want a good score because I know I am definitely capable.
Your practice scores seem pretty promising to me. I think you should do great. Best of luck :)

I've seen those spreadsheets before, and it always occurred to me that filling them out seems to appeal to high-scorers much more than low scorers. There are a lot of 520+ scores on there! Voiding to me seems very extreme. I would use void as a last resort to avoid an imminent -- not merely possible -- catastrophe. That's my personal opinion. Buck up camper, be confident and test well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen those spreadsheets before, and it always occurred to me that filling them out seems to appeal to high-scorers much more than low scorers. There are a lot of 520+ scores on there! Voiding to me seems very extreme. I would use void as a last resort to avoid an imminent -- not merely possible -- catastrophe. That's my personal opinion. Buck up camper, be confident and test well.
The spreadsheet, and most people on SDN and Reddit forums, are definitely a biased sample. It's important to keep in mind that the average MCAT score is a 500. Most people posting scores publicly are far above the average.

Honestly, I found the AAMC1 CARS section to be fairly difficult. I have taken the MCAT before (prepping for a retake) and my CARS was 130 on the real thing, my AAMC1 was 127. If I were you, I would focus on AAMC2 and really dissect why you're missing questions in the time you have left. I'm sure if you decide to have your test scored it will turn out great! Either way, best of luck to you!

Scores released yesterday but I was too anxious all day to look. Finally worked up the courage to check mine after convincing myself I was going to need a retake and mentally preparing myself for a sub-500 score.

511 :) 85% percentile. 127/127/129/128. I am beyond ecstatic!!!!!!!

Reactions: 4 users
OP, I feel your pain. Its hard graduating and not being admitted somewhere, especially when all your peers are busy updating their Facebook profile pictures of them at their white coat ceremonies.

As of now, with a 505 on FL 1, you're good for DO. I know you might not want to hear this, but I came her to give you honest advice and constructive criticism, I can't openly support something I myself wouldn't do.

If you have one week left, and you haven't done any of the Section Bank or AAMC FL 2, you're in a very dangerous position. The Section Bank is the absolute best preparation available for the MCAT. Its 300 questions, and it took me, going slowly and very thoroughly about one month to get through it. The amount of information you learn from those passages is insane.

Additionally, AAMC FL 2 is (supposedly) the best indicator of what your actual test score will be.

What I recommend is this:
1. Take the MCAT this week
2. VOID THE EXAM.
3. Study all summer, take the MCAT in August, and apply then if you desperately want to avoid a second gap year. Keep in mind, the average first year student age across the country is 26 years old. 2 to 3 years is actually customary to get admitted.

If you take the MCAT this Friday and, hypothetically, score it and get a 499, what are you going to do? That score is stuck with you forever. Medical schools often state "we don't average scores, we only look at highest, etc." but that doesn't actually hide the score. The admissions committee will see that score and then, possibly a retake. With a 499 you'd have to retake. Now, when the admissions committees sees both scores vs. a one time high score, you're not looking too good. But, if you take the MCAT carefully this August and ace it (say you get a 515!) and apply June 2018 - yes that's another year off, but can you imagine all the doors that will open for you with a 515? OP, I've been in your spot, and I, foolishly, took the MCAT rushed - that bought me 2 gap years, and I'm looking at a third. Inbox me for more details.

1 month for section bank? I have a little less than one month (8/18) and haven't done the SB. Wouldn't that be around 10 Qs a day? I still have qpacks too. I read each qpack is only a few days each. Why is SB so much longer to do? Was that doing questions all day? I planned on finishing all my qpacks within hopefully 1-1.5 weeks then taking FL 1, review, SB then FL 2 about a week out. Then review weak concepts. Does that sound solid or should I get a move on the qpacks and SB at a faster rate?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

1 month for section bank? I have a little less than one month (8/18) and haven't done the SB. Wouldn't that be around 10 Qs a day? I still have qpacks too. I read each qpack is only a few days each. Why is SB so much longer to do? Was that doing questions all day? I planned on finishing all my qpacks within hopefully 1-1.5 weeks then taking FL 1, review, SB then FL 2 about a week out. Then review weak concepts. Does that sound solid or should I get a move on the qpacks and SB at a faster rate?

Thanks!

Stop the qpacks; outside of CARS Qpack 1 and 2 don't bother with them. Those are simply old MCAT passages re-released by the AAMC and are from the 45 point based past MCAT exams the AAMC would release. They are far to easy, too different, and altogether, a waste of time for the new MCAT. Again, that excludes CARS: Do the Cars qpacks! Nothing else!

The section bank is incredibly difficult. If I remember correctly, each had about 12 passages and for sure 100 questions. The one section bank has 300 questions, 100 in phys/chem, 100 in bio/biochem, 100 in psy/soc. The thing about the section bank is its beautiful to learn from. Take the passages untimed and slowly. Clearly give yourself the time you need to read the passage, digest it, analyze all the accompanying tables, charts, figures, and mechanisms presented. That takes a very long time (hence I suggest a month). Reading one passage inside and out for the purposes of master the MCAT (which is where you're at right now) is approximately 10 minutes. Then come the questions, which are from hell lol. These questions are downright difficult, and purely critical thinking based. The passage, for example, talks about enzyme 1 converting A to B. How would enzyme 2 work on converting X to Y to Z? Keep in mind you've never heard of enzyme 1, 2, A, B, X, Y, or Z. The questions take a very unique perspective in making you answer them and therein lies the beauty of the section bank: mastering how to read the questions and then dive back into the passage to get some juicy answers. One passage can take, upwards, of 30 minutes, but usually 20 or so. If you can hammer out 3 passages a day, the SB can be tackled sooner.

Don't worry about the gap years. I was the most anti-gap year kid in undergrad. Karma is giving me, at the minimum, 3. Relax, deep breaths, study and complete the section bank. I suggest you take it slowly and thoroughly, but also aim to finish it twice.

Stop the qpacks; outside of CARS Qpack 1 and 2 don't bother with them. Those are simply old MCAT passages re-released by the AAMC and are from the 45 point based past MCAT exams the AAMC would release. They are far to easy, too different, and altogether, a waste of time for the new MCAT. Again, that excludes CARS: Do the Cars qpacks! Nothing else!

The section bank is incredibly difficult. If I remember correctly, each had about 12 passages and for sure 100 questions. The one section bank has 300 questions, 100 in phys/chem, 100 in bio/biochem, 100 in psy/soc. The thing about the section bank is its beautiful to learn from. Take the passages untimed and slowly. Clearly give yourself the time you need to read the passage, digest it, analyze all the accompanying tables, charts, figures, and mechanisms presented. That takes a very long time (hence I suggest a month). Reading one passage inside and out for the purposes of master the MCAT (which is where you're at right now) is approximately 10 minutes. Then come the questions, which are from hell lol. These questions are downright difficult, and purely critical thinking based. The passage, for example, talks about enzyme 1 converting A to B. How would enzyme 2 work on converting X to Y to Z? Keep in mind you've never heard of enzyme 1, 2, A, B, X, Y, or Z. The questions take a very unique perspective in making you answer them and therein lies the beauty of the section bank: mastering how to read the questions and then dive back into the passage to get some juicy answers. One passage can take, upwards, of 30 minutes, but usually 20 or so. If you can hammer out 3 passages a day, the SB can be tackled sooner.

Don't worry about the gap years. I was the most anti-gap year kid in undergrad. Karma is giving me, at the minimum, 3. Relax, deep breaths, study and complete the section bank. I suggest you take it slowly and thoroughly, but also aim to finish it twice.

Thanks for all the help! Do the section bank twice?

Thanks for all the help! Do the section bank twice?

Yep. Do it once slow, 20 to 30 mins per passage or whatever. Review, read the answers and explanations.

Then re-do all the passages timed. I promise you won't remember the initial answers haha.

Yep. Do it once slow, 20 to 30 mins per passage or whatever. Review, read the answers and explanations.

Then re-do all the passages timed. I promise you won't remember the initial answers haha.

Was about to start the SB, how did you do it twice with only 10 starts?

Was about to start the SB, how did you do it twice with only 10 starts?
A "start" is every time you click end, and get a score report. As opposed to clicking "take break" and then returning to finish it, which does not count against your starts. Play with it, you'll figure it out. The ten starts gives you three starts for each discrete section (C/P, B/B, P/S) plus one extra. It is more than enough! You'll spend a lot of time with your completed test, going over the answers.

A "start" is every time you click end, and get a score report. As opposed to clicking "take break" and then returning to finish it, which does not count against your starts. Play with it, you'll figure it out. The ten starts gives you three starts for each discrete section (C/P, B/B, P/S) plus one extra. It is more than enough! You'll spend a lot of time with your completed test, going over the answers.

When you would do it would you do the whole section over a few days then review it all? Therefore using 1 start for the whole section?

I did it in 50-question chunks without worrying about time but being aware of the time. I used the FL's for timed practice. But at least doing 50 in one sitting helps develop some endurance.