Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Test Prep

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by SloppyJoe, Sep 2, 2002.

1. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Besides kaplan, who else offers a test preparation course? Which ones do you guys suggest?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    Princeton review is also available, but only in selected areas. Honestly, I really don't think its worth spending 1000 bucks if you are motivated. But if you think the best way to be motivated is to spend money , then by all means go for it.

However, I took kaplan, I would give it 5/10 rating. I have all the books from Kaplan, including notes where I practically copied all of their subject test material so if you want it contact me in 2 weeks and maybe I could save you some money.

DesiDentist

4. ohgee

ohgee Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I also don't suggest taking the kaplan course. The resource are out there for you to utilize. In my case, to keep myself motivated and under pressure, I signed up for the test date only 2 weeks after my first day of studying. Then I push the date 1 week further. I think this is better than giving yourself 1 month of studying at once.

5. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hm.........Even if the Kaplan course doesn't help that much, I think I am still going to take it. Better be safe than sorry. I think it will help me organize my time and have a sense of direction in studying. Anyone taken the Princeton Review? How does it compare to Kaplan?

6. DrMom

DrMom Official Mom of SDN
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've taught portions of the Kaplan DAT course and, IMO, it is not as good as their MCAT course. They don't give as many learning aids (resources in general or things like mnemonics/memorization aids) in the DAT course so I added in ones from the MCAT course when I was teaching.

It would still be helpful in organizing and making you keep up though.

As I haven't taken the DAT, I can't really make a judgement about how well it prepares you for the real thing. That makes it hard for me to say whether or not it is worth the $$$.