Tested positive for TB... help please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jdrill

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out I got a positive result on the quantiferon gold test as I was completing the prematriculation checklist fot the med school I was planning to attend ... and now my pmd says I need a 9 month treatment program. This was quite the scare and bummer and I am now worried if it will do anything to my education. I plan on getting started on the meds asap ... should I be concerned at all regarding what the school would do if they see my results and what should I do at this point? Thanks... it just really sucks because I don't know where this even came from :/

Members don't see this ad.

I just found out I got a positive result on the quantiferon gold test as I was completing the prematriculation checklist fot the med school I was planning to attend ... and now my pmd says I need a 9 month treatment program. This was quite the scare and bummer and I am now worried if it will do anything to my education. I plan on getting started on the meds asap ... should I be concerned at all regarding what the school would do if they see my results and what should I do at this point? Thanks... it just really sucks because I don't know where this even came from :/
I looked into this a little when I was applying bc I found out I had a positive quantiferon gold when I started hospital volunteering. I asked schools where I was applying if they would require me to do the 9 month course of meds and no one said I would need to do that. The consensus was that I could choose the meds or get chest x rays and show, annually, that I don't have active TB. I did consider the meds but my doctor went through a bunch of data with me and we calculated that my risk of hepatitis from doing the meds was far greater than my risk of developing active TB.

So I would first ask the school what they need and then explore with your doctor whether you really need the meds if the school does not require them.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think it really does anything. I think some people in my class tested positive and took the long course of antibiotics, or you might be able to do the chest x-rays to show that it's not active. It's a pain and a stressor though for sure!

Calm down. You're not the only med student who has tested positive. What happens when you get treatment? You can't drink for 9 months and you'll have to have chest x-rays anytime someone wants you to have a TB test for the rest of your life. In no way does the treatment affect your education....unless you become an active TB patient.

Did you ever get a BCG (TB vaccine)? They don't give them in the US but they do in other countries. I had one of those and my TB tests would always show up positive... frickin delayed my hospital volunteering by a year b/c of that. Annoying as hell because everytime I moved and tried to volunteer at a new hospital, they all thought I had TB and didn't know how a vaccine worked (not everyone who works in a hospital knows bio). Had to get X-rays every time.

Did you ever get a BCG (TB vaccine)? They don't give them in the US but they do in other countries. I had one of those and my TB tests would always show up positive... frickin delayed my hospital volunteering by a year b/c of that. Annoying as hell because everytime I moved and tried to volunteer at a new hospital, they all thought I had TB and didn't know how a vaccine worked (not everyone who works in a hospital knows bio). Had to get X-rays every time.

I think the quantiferon gold test takes BCG into account. You might be referring to the skin PPD, which does give a false positive for people with the BCG vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
I think the quantiferon gold test takes BCG into account. You might be referring to the skin PPD, which does give a false positive for people with the BCG vaccine.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I would actually suggest having the test being done twice as opposed to once and also at a different location. If your PPD comes out negative each time, you may also share your concern with your physician who may be more aware of BCG and interferon testing.

and now my pmd says I need a 9 month treatment program

You need a new PMD. There is an INH and rifapentine regimen that is 1x/week for 12 weeks. Easy.

I know lots of med students/residents/attendings who have had positive quantiferons. Whether from doing medical missions abroad, florid active TB patients at work, or whatever. It's not a big deal. Take your meds (and please go see ID rather than a PCP), get CXRs whenever someone wants one, and go on with your life.