Testing 4/23 Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

effectedtag

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I averaged a 506 on 4 NS Fl exams.

I just took the first AAMC FL 1, 20 days out from test day, and scored a 508 C/P 127, CARS 125, B/B 126, and P/S 130. I heard that the cars was particularly hard on AAMC Fl 1, so hopefully that will improve.

I have finished all the qpacks (except for CARS), half the official guide questions, and still have not touched the section banks.

My goal score is 510+, is it reasonable to see further improvement or should I be thinking about pushing back my exam date?

Members don't see this ad.

Do the cars qpack ASAP. Make sure you really analyze the questions, answer structure, and the reasons why answers are correct vs incorrect. Yes, a 2 point increase in that time frame is feasible. Unfortunately so is stagnation or a decrease. Keep using the AAMC FL exams to gauge your progress.

Reactions: 1 user
I do think it's reasonable to see improvement, especially in C/P and B/B. CARS is especially difficult to see score improvements on over short periods of time, but it's also possible that the 125 in CARS was an anomaly. I would take another FL 1 week before your exam- if you score something around a 510+, then I'd go ahead and take the exam.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Hello,

I averaged a 506 on 4 NS Fl exams.

I just took the first AAMC FL 1, 20 days out from test day, and scored a 508 C/P 127, CARS 125, B/B 126, and P/S 130. I heard that the cars was particularly hard on AAMC Fl 1, so hopefully that will improve.

I have finished all the qpacks (except for CARS), half the official guide questions, and still have not touched the section banks.

My goal score is 510+, is it reasonable to see further improvement or should I be thinking about pushing back my exam date?
I would say cars is your best bet to improve your score in short time. Just keep reading passages and get better at learning the important info in the package, author biases, opinions things like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you everyone! I analyzed my test and if I would have gotten 7 more questions correct 2 for each C/P, CARS, B/B, and 1 on P/S I would have gotten around 512 according to some user data. Crazy how such few questions can change your score so drastically.

Thank you everyone! I analyzed my test and if I would have gotten 7 more questions correct 2 for each C/P, CARS, B/B, and 1 on P/S I would have gotten around 512 according to some user data. Crazy how such few questions can change your score so drastically.
I would recommend resting the day before the mcat and make sure you sleep that night.

I ended up taking AAMC Fl2 and my score dropped 4 points to a 504. 126/124/128/126. Feeling extremely frustrated and not sure where to go from here. My score in B/B went up 2 points but everything else went down. I don't understand how I go from a 130 in P/S to a 126 and my CARS score still s*cks.

Really do not know where to go from here. I read that a lot of peoples score drops on FL 2 but I am not sure if I should take FL 3 before thinking about pushing my exam back. Any thoughts?

I ended up taking AAMC Fl2 and my score dropped 4 points to a 504. 126/124/128/126. Feeling extremely frustrated and not sure where to go from here. My score in B/B went up 2 points but everything else went down. I don't understand how I go from a 130 in P/S to a 126 and my CARS score still s*cks.

Really do not know where to go from here. I read that a lot of peoples score drops on FL 2 but I am not sure if I should take FL 3 before thinking about pushing my exam back. Any thoughts?
To me it sounds a bit like you are needlessly torturing yourself. Scores will fluctuate from exam to exam, depending on precisely which questions are asked and whether or not you happen to know the answers. This is why score reports have confidence bands.

You seem to be laboring under the assumption that the primary difference between a 505, 510, 515 and 520 is how badly someone wants a particular score. This is simply not true. Arbitrarily saying you want a 510+ and then moving test dates around is not a recipe for success.

A part of your score will be determined by the level and efficiency of your preparation, but part will be determined by your natural ability honed over the past 15+ years of schooling. The key here is to do everything within your power to prepare to the best of your ability, and deal with whatever score you get, as opposed to just taking practice tests until you hit an arbitrary score.

JMHO, but a 510 is 80%-ile, and the vast majority of the 56,000 or so test takers who score below that every year are not just a bunch of folks who were too impatient to push back a test. It's a very difficult test, strategically designed to achieve a defined distribution of scores among a pretty highly talented group of test takers. By definition, no more than 20% of this group will be in the top 20%, no matter how much the other 80% wishes otherwise.

You very well might hit 510+ right now, or you might only score a 506, and there is no shame in that if that reflects your best effort. Beyond just taking more FLs, have you identified a knowledge gap and a plan to address it? If so, get to work and push the test back. If not, stop beating yourself up over maybe not being able to hit an arbitrary target.

Why don't you give me some advice? I took AAMC FL1 today and a 488 while my NS was 498 and 500