Testing Anxiety, how to deal with it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lxstsxul

Reaction score
I’ve recently discovered that I have testing anxiety, I tend to shut off during exams or completely fumble things up in my head. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with testing anxiety? And anxiety in general I guess? Any advice is appreciated! I am currently working with a therapist but just wanted to know if anyone has been on the same boat and how they coped with it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Go to student disability department and they should guide you. They may give you a separate room and extra time if you get diagnosed with test anxiety

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve recently discovered that I have testing anxiety, I tend to shut off during exams or completely fumble things up in my head. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to deal with testing anxiety? And anxiety in general I guess? Any advice is appreciated! I am currently working with a therapist but just wanted to know if anyone has been on the same boat and how they coped with it.
Try your best to get accommodations for extra time and a separate room. This requires testing through a psychologist who will need to write a report. This I believe should alleviate your testing anxiety and improve your performance as you wont be worried about how much time you have left and allow your brain to think about the question and what you know

I don't suggest accomadations, because they are very hard to get for the real COMLEX (almost always denied). So your setting yourself up for a super panic attack if you get them in school when the questions are much easier and then try to take COMLEX, which is much more vague/difficult, in the normal time. I suggest seeing your physician and/or therapist and finding another way that can work for you.

I have horrible test anxiety as well, so a few years back I spoke with my PCP about it. He called up a psychiatrist colleague who suggested trying a beta blocker. It completely changed exams for me. I was a total wreck prior to an exam but 20 mg of nebivolol and im a cool cucumber.

I had a panic attack during my 2nd semester OMM midterm. Got a 58%... at that point i emailed my schools med ed department and asked for help. They let me sit in the back row for the rest of my tests in 1st and 2nd year. This helped tremendously. I didnt get claustrophobic anymore, i also started wearing my shooting range ear buds.

As far as the comlex and usmle goes, i enjoyed sitting in my little cubicle. No anxiety at all. I only get anxious when there are dozens of people sitting around me - breathing, grunting, tapping their feet, coughing, and occasionally farting.