Testing July 22- More content review or another full length?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wingardium Leviosa

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone- I am planning on taking the MCAT July 22. While this is my first post, I have been a longtime lurker on SDN and found so much useful information here. So thanks :)

A little about my background... I went about 75% through the content review February and March, but then got halted because of a hectic spring semester of senior year catching up to me. I did not pick up content review until after I graduated (Bio major) the first week of June. Since then, I have also taken 7 practice tests (5 Kaplan, ranging from 505-513, EK, and the AAMC sample test (83%/87%/76%/83%). I've also done the Chem Qpack, Bio Qpacks, and CARS 1.

My plan for the next week and a half (AHHHH Super anxiety level surge happening) was to finish up the Physics and CARS Q-packs, do all 3 section banks, EK test 4 (tomorrow) and the AAMC Scored Friday. However, I'm realizing that a lot of the content that I reviewed early on is kind of iffy (especially Physics and chem concepts). Do you lovely and helpful people think it would be better to take that additional full length tomorrow or spend the 15 or so hours I would spend taking it and reviewing on doing extra content review?

I realize I'm in an okayish spot right now, but I'm just looking to get that extra edge on the MCAT to make up for any lacking spots in my application. Thanks in advance!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think the perfect compromise is doing TBR FL 1 and Fl 4. It will give you realistic practice and going over their answers is probably the best review you can do with the MCAT so close. I found TBR exams to be the most helpful FLs during the last push.

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately I don't think I have time for TBR full lengths (I've heard they have to snail mail you the code) since I would want to take it in the next day or so. Not to mention I can't really afford to spend another $110 on 3 tests right now haha

Practice ? >> Content Review, especially this late in the game; review concepts relative to what you are getting wrong and don't re-read every little thing. Prioritize AAMC material over the EK test, with section banks over Q-packs (allegedly q-packs are just packs of selected questions from the old MCAT tests; section banks are more reflective of new MCAT material). Might be worthwhile to run through the section banks (and/or q-packs) before doing content review to have a more wholesome view of which topics to review before the AAMC Scored test on Friday, unless your list is long already.

Definitely give yourself a few days next week to decompress before the actual test so you are fresh and ready when you sit down at the computer terminal. Good luck brotha/sista!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do practice over the areas you want to do content review in. Example: if you need to review thermodynamics then do a bunch of passages in thermodynamics. I think that is more important than FLs if you have already built up stamina.

Practice ? >> Content Review, especially this late in the game; review concepts relative to what you are getting wrong and don't re-read every little thing. Prioritize AAMC material over the EK test, with section banks over Q-packs (allegedly q-packs are just packs of selected questions from the old MCAT tests; section banks are more reflective of new MCAT material). Might be worthwhile to run through the section banks (and/or q-packs) before doing content review to have a more wholesome view of which topics to review before the AAMC Scored test on Friday, unless your list is long already.

Definitely give yourself a few days next week to decompress before the actual test so you are fresh and ready when you sit down at the computer terminal. Good luck brotha/sista!

Thanks so much for the advice. I'm trying to slow down and just spend more time with the section banks etc rather than trying to cram more than necessary. (Barely got through chem/phys with 71% today--that thing was killer and I hope everyone's comments about it being much harder than the actual exam are true!!)

And my goal is to take at least Thursday off next week, and hopefully only do 4 hours or so the other days... but we will see how crazy I am going as it gets close.

Reactions: 1 user
Do practice over the areas you want to do content review in. Example: if you need to review thermodynamics then do a bunch of passages in thermodynamics. I think that is more important than FLs if you have already built up stamina.

Thanks, Roayer. That's definitely more useful than thinking about what an atomic number is for the 100th time :p

Unfortunately I don't think I have time for TBR full lengths (I've heard they have to snail mail you the code) since I would want to take it in the next day or so.

I'm not sure where you heard such a rumor, but that is not the case. The exam access information is emailed to you the moment your order arrives. Some people choose to email a pdf copy of their purchase form and they have access within minutes of that email being opened and processed. Some opt to mail it in and they have access as soon as their envelope is opened and the order is processed.

Good luck on your MCAT. The best thing you can do for the next ten days is work as many thought-provoking questions as you can find.