testings/neuro externship for internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

discolemonade

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I have the opportunity to do a neuro externship next year. I am NOT interested in doing neuropsych testing in my career--therapy is what I am most passionate about (although I know that could change). I know that having a high number of integrated testing reports is important for internship, but I am hearing mixed things about how valuable doing a year of neuropsych testings specifically will be for more general internships. These testings will not include any personality assessments. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't want to do neuropsychology, I don't think that doing a neuropsychology externship is going to help you much for internship. There are plenty of other ways to get some assessment experience.

Hi!

I have the opportunity to do a neuro externship next year. I am NOT interested in doing neuropsych testing in my career--therapy is what I am most passionate about (although I know that could change). I know that having a high number of integrated testing reports is important for internship, but I am hearing mixed things about how valuable doing a year of neuropsych testings specifically will be for more general internships. These testings will not include any personality assessments. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1. Unless you are exclusively doing dementia evaluations with geriatrics in a memory disorder clinic, I would hope that most any comprehensive neuropsych evaluation would include objective measure(s) of personality/psychopathology in order to better understand contributing factors/symptoms/etiology.

2. I wouldn't do it if you really aren't interested in it.

3. Having a "high number" of integrated reports is not important. Have integrated reports is important (10-20?)

4. Good ole psychiatric/psychological evaluations are probably much more helpful and relevant to internships and to your future practice in general if you don't plan on having a neuropsych career.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies! Erg, are you saying that 10-20 is a good amount? I guess I consider that a high number!

And just to clarify: neuropsych assessments that have many different tests would count as integrated reports even without any personality tests? thank you!

Thanks for the replies! Erg, are you saying that 10-20 is a good amount? I guess I consider that a high number!

And just to clarify: neuropsych assessments that have many different tests would count as integrated reports even without any personality tests? thank you!

I think over 4 years of clinical training (at least at most places), 10-20 should be obtainable. 10 is probably perfectly fine for most places that aren't heavy psych assessment or neuropsych. 15-20 might be slightly better, especially for VAs, but the app package as whole is important.

Integrated Report

1. I found Neuropsych experience to be an invaluable part of my training, even if I don't plan to make it my career. Good neuropsych exposure improves holisitc training because it provides a good foundation for biological bases of behavior, and that is part of how you should be doing conceptualizations. Training at this level is about broad exposure to ideas. You may not do Neuro testing, but you are likely to see see someone who could use that type of evaluation, partucuarly at tbe VA. If the Neuro training does that and not just 'administer test like a trained monkey it's worthwhile in my book.

2. I agrre with what others said about assessment reports.

1. I found Neuropsych experience to be an invaluable part of my training, even if I don't plan to make it my career. Good neuropsych exposure improves holisitc training because it provides a good foundation for biological bases of behavior, and that is part of how you should be doing conceptualizations. Training at this level is about broad exposure to ideas. You may not do Neuro testing, but you are likely to see see someone who could use that type of evaluation, partucuarly at tbe VA. If the Neuro training does that and not just 'administer test like a trained monkey it's worthwhile in my book.

2. I agrre with what others said about assessment reports.

I actually dont think it should be that difficult to recognize the need for neuropsych in your patients even if you dont have a formal neuropsych prac. I think most graduate training programs provide the basics about this within various courses (and exposure in various prac placements), and cognitive assessment courses these days often go beyond just the WAIS. I just think that if the person doesn't really want to do it, it might be a waste time, as a 10-15 hour/week prac in neuropsych will probably teach one how to administer some more tests, and possibly how they all fit together, but I don't see it really "paying off" in the long run. It takes years and years to real grasp how it all fits together.

If the person is focused on therapy/intervention, let them do that and get general psychological assessments down as part of their generalist training.

Last edited: