Texas A&M Scott & White vs UTMB

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

txoncdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a fourth year medical student looking at Texas IM programs. I am interested in oncology and therefore both of these have interested me due to the fellowships. Anyone have any insight as to which IM program has stronger didactics, happier residents, whether they mostly take fellows from within, the strength of the oncology fellowships etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a fourth year medical student looking at Texas IM programs. I am interested in oncology and therefore both of these have interested me due to the fellowships. Anyone have any insight as to which IM program has stronger didactics, happier residents, whether they mostly take fellows from within, the strength of the oncology fellowships etc. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Txoncdoc, I'm sure there are people better qualified to answer this, but I thought I'd at least share what I learned.

Scott and White IM came here and did a recruiting presentation about their program. I did not visit it. I gleaned several things that were positive about the program:

* Gorgeous hospital and they are building more
* Lots of fellowships
* Regional referral center, according to them it is thought of as where complicated patients get sent to.
* Great call schedule, it was too difficult for me to remember but it seemed very cush and the residents were proud of it.
* Moonlighting opportunities are abundant.

One negative:

* The two residents both matched fellowships at Scott and White (one from GI and one from Cards), however, both did a "chief year" to do it. I asked if this was common for Scott and White residents and they said yes that you either do a chief year or do a research year to make yourself more competitive. To me, ideally you do not have to do an extra year to get your desired program, not sure if this would effect you with Heme/Onc.

Good luck in the match!

UTBM hosted the TAIM this year, it was very nice. Don't know what students say where you are from but people here have called it "Galcatraz" because the hospital is on an island and attached to the prison. All the faculty that lectured at TAIM were good, most were from UTMB.

I'm at EM resident at Scott & White and went to medical school at UTMB. The medicine residents here all seem pretty happy and well trained. I can't say the same for UTMB. While I obviously don't have first hand experience as a resident in Galveston, many of the residents I worked with as a students seemed unhappy.

For what it's worth...

Take care,
Jeff