SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Texas A&M?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Beaker, Jun 9, 2000.

1. Beaker

Beaker New Member

Jun 8, 2000
    Kerrville, TX USA
    I'll be applying to med school in 2002 at age 29. My gpa right now is 3.56 *sigh* I have no volunteer experience but I'm trying to find a place this summer to volunteer. My science gpa is around 3.7 If I had my choice of med schools I would want to go to A&M and just wanted to chat with someone who's been accepted or at least applied. Anyone out there?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. dthankins

dthankins Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Great school!

I interview and ranked it second behind UT Southwestern. It was a hard choice but basically Dallas better name recognition among residency directors.

A&M is a better school than most people think.
  4. sph

sph Member 10+ Year Member

Apr 21, 2000
    I have to agree with dthankins. TAMU is a great school. Unfortunately I heard a report on the news last week that the relationship b/t the med school and the scott and white facility in temple is on the rocks. Also they mentioned the school is ranked extremely low. I think they said it was like 110 out of the 130 med schools. Not good if you ask me.

But from talking to the students they have said that they get alot of hands on experience because their class size is so small so they don't have to compete with other med students or interns for valuable work. Whereas at the larger med schools most med students end up doing scut work.

I interviewed at tamu and was impressed with their facilities. The only complaint i heard from the med students was the lack of anonymity at the school. Everyone pretty much knows you and your business. But then again some people thrive in a smaller learning environment.
  5. I disagree with DT Hankins. I live in Waco and have done research at the TAMUHSC nearby in Temple.

Scott+White is a great system, but I have also worked at both Baylor and UT-Southwestern.

1) Baylor
    2) Southwestern
    3) Texas Tech
    4) TAMU

"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed