Texas Academic Fresh Start in Houston: Is This a Clever Plan or Unworkable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dombarb

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I checked through the older threads and didn't see the following scenario so thought I'd create this thread for clarification and to help others out.

So I just learned that the University of Houston (main campus) doesn't admit bachelor degree holders to their Academic Fresh Start Program (read the 5th paragraph from the top): http://www.uh.edu/admissions/apply/additional-applicant/academic-fresh/academic-fresh-start-2013

I graduated with a bachelor's degree over 10 years ago and got my master's degree in 2011. Here's my plan:

1) Take all my pre-med prereqs except for one at the University of Houston now.
2) Enroll at a Houston community college under Academic Fresh Start (AFS) and take one class (psych or sociology)
3) Apply to med school in 2021 or 2022 with just my UH classes and the one community college class on my transcript due to AFS. AFS should wipe out everything that's over 10 years old so my UH classes and the one community college class will be the only grades that show up.

*The reason why I want to take my classes at UH is I want to show the med school adcoms a bunch of science classes from a 4-year university not a community college.

Thanks for reading this/chiming in.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't see a problem with this but I recommend checking the idea with TMDSAS directly, as they have the final say and if you can get them to say yes (particularly in writing) then you have pretty solid grounds to move forward.

So you would not be applying with record of a bachelor's degree?

Members don't see this ad :)
This is basically exactly what I'm doing. I emailed TMDSAS about it and they said it's good.

You don't lose your bachelor's degree from AFS. They just don't count the GPA from that time. You do, however, still need at least 90 credits after the AFS cutoff date and all of the prereqs need to be taken after the cutoff date.

Reactions: 1 user
A couple cleps and 15 credits/semester of GE at the CC would be an easy AA in a year and then you could slide into the University and clean house. Could even get a gen bio and maybe chem 1/2 done at CC.

Have you had any luck with applying anywhere in Houston under AFS?

Reactions: 1 user