Texas and Maryland mostly

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lavacake

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
GPA: c3.87, s3.7-3.8ish
MCAT: 33Q
VR 10
PS 11
BS 12
Expected graduation date: May 2014
B.S. Biochemistry and Cell Biology at top 20 school, non ivy private (OOS)
Shadowed 50 hours at radiation oncology department over a period of 3 months
Research at a biochemistry lab, second semester now, putting in 8-10 hours per week
Worked in biochemistry lab (drosophila stock attendant) for three years now, putting in 6 hours a week

Extracurricular:
TA for general biology Fall 2011
TA for immunology Fall 2012
Relay for Life coordinator for college chapter of ACS 2011-present
Habitat for Humanity tutoring- Fall 2010, Spring 2011
Volunteer for Medical Bridges- sorted and packaged medical supplies Jan 2011-Apr 2011

Schools of interest:
Baylor
UT Southwestern
UMD
UT Houston

I guess what are my chances at a top 35 medical school? Sorry to be vague :confused:

Right now I'm just having a really difficult time trying to decide if I want to retake my MCATs during the winter :scared:

Thank you, and input would be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Do not retake, 33 is solid. Are you from Texas? If not, be aware they accept 90% in state.
You have a definite shot at a top 35 if you apply early and can spin yourself well. I would suggest though that every top 35 you apply to you apply to 1.333 mid-low tiers as well. A lot of people over shoot and end up reapplicants.

The UT system is in-state heavy but Baylor is not hard on OOS applicants so you would have a legit shot there if you are OOS.

Do not retake, 33 is solid. Are you from Texas? If not, be aware they accept 90% in state.
You have a definite shot at a top 35 if you apply early and can spin yourself well. I would suggest though that every top 35 you apply to you apply to 1.333 mid-low tiers as well. A lot of people over shoot and end up reapplicants.

1.333 mid-low tiers? Which schools would fall in that description?
Hmm, yeah, I have definitely heard about the 90% in state thing, and even thought about becoming a Texas resident. But my pre health advisors told me that I shouldn't worry about the residency thing, something about how even though it is 90% in state, there are many more in state applicants that the acceptance rates pretty much balance out for in state and OOS, though I haven't actually looked up the stats to see how true that is. And it turned out that becoming a TX resident really wasn't a practical option for me.

I suppose I am concerned with my extracurricular activities. I've also been captain of my IM team for the past three years (soccer and flag football) which doesn't really count for much in my mind. And in terms of volunteer, I don't really have much going for me in that department. I feel as though the only thing that's somewhat unique that I can bring to the table is my socio economic status. My family is of humble background where my parents have worked in manual labor for some time. And if I wasn't at school, even during my MCAT summer, I would be helping them out with their work at the dry cleaners. Which is probably the most unique thing about me from other kids at my school who seem to be pretty well off in the financial department.

Anyway, thank you so much for the advice and pointers. I was actually having a bit of a panic attack because I couldn't decide whether to retake my MCATs or not. Though at this point, I'm not completely decided... But I do feel better. So thank you :)