MD & DO Texas applicant, nontraditional, low gpa, severe upward trend-what are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eric Qualen

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am reposting to try and get responses. Brutal honesty is appreciated.

Hispanic
overall GPA 2.72
science GPA 3.83
mcat TBD

I graduated in 2010 with a BA in psychology with a 2.5 gpa. I’ve taken all of my prerequisites so far at a community college, as money is a big factor. I’m almost done with the prereqs but I have a few upper level bio courses that I’ll take at a four year university. Never taken the mcat and so far I have a 3.83 science gpa. I have no extracurriculars, no industry related work experience, however, I do plan to volunteer at a hospice while I study for the mcat. What are my chances of getting into a medical school, preferably in Texas?
Lets assume I finish my sciences with a 3.8 gpa and gain valuable shadowing and volunteer experience, what would you say is an appropriate goal for an mcat score that would get me in? In other words, is this feasible? If I make 30k a year, I know I cant go out and buy a Ferrari. Is med school admissions a similar thing? If I have this weak overall gpa in which I buried myself over 10 years ago, will that forever disallow me entrance? Has anyone seen a similar candidate gain admission?

Members don't see this ad.

Since you graduated in 2010, you can apply for Texas Academic Fresh Start in 2020 and have those grades >10 erased from GPA. This will get you the desirable high GPAs that TMDSAS schools love. See here: TMDSAS Medical: Texas Academic Fresh Start

But you will need to have the ECs and a good 510+ MCAT score also.

Therefore, it is not hopeless, just delayed until at least after 2020. Since MCAT scores expire after 3 years, don't take the MCAT this year, but perhaps in 2019 or 2020 when you will be eligible for Texas Academic Fresh Start.

Since you graduated in 2010, you can apply for Texas Academic Fresh Start in 2020 and have those grades >10 erased from GPA. This will get you the desirable high GPAs that TMDSAS schools love. See here: TMDSAS Medical: Texas Academic Fresh Start

But you will need to have the ECs and a good 510+ MCAT score also.

Therefore, it is not hopeless, just delayed until at least after 2020. Since MCAT scores expire after 3 years, don't take the MCAT this year, but perhaps in 2019 or 2020 when you will be eligible for Texas Academic Fresh Start.
Wont the fresh start remove all of his pre reqs he did and his good sGPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wont the fresh start remove all of his pre reqs he did and his good sGPA?

No. According to TMDSAS, after he declares AFS, only those prereqs that are >10 years are removed. All pre-reqs within the 90 credits needed after declaring AFS and less than 10 years will be included in his new GPAs.

Since OP already has a BA, the only thing that they must do after declaring AFS is have 90 credits to apply to TMDSAS. The pre-reqs must be included in the 90 credits.

Edit: AFS and how TMDSAS applies it is confusing. I may be incorrect in how I interpreted TMDSAS' rules and past SDN threads regarding the subject matter. The best thing to do is to contact TMDSAS and ask about your specific situation.

Last edited:
No. According to TMDSAS, after he declares AFS, only those prereqs that are >10 years are removed. All pre-reqs within the 90 credits needed after declaring AFS and less than 10 years will be included in his new GPAs.

Since OP already has a BA, the only thing that they must do after declaring AFS is have 90 credits to apply to TMDSAS. The pre-reqs must be included in the 90 credits.
Well thats convenient!