Texas applicants...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tn4596

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you plan to apply to other medical school out of state?
I was just wondering, i originally planned to apply just the 9 schools in state (next cycle)
if so, anyone got any recommendations? location and tuition are big factor for me.

Members don't see this ad.

i applied to all 9 TX schools and 4 in California. reason being is that for a TX resident it's easiest to get in to an in-state school so it would be stupid not to apply to all of them. reason for Cali is simply because i love Cali and would love to go to med school there

didn't apply to any other states because i would rather live in TX or CA over all the other 48 states

I plan on applying to all texas schools and a few out of state ones, both safety schools and high reach ones. In state tuition is cheap as hell, so it would take a lot for me not to stay here. But in the end, I'll go wherever I get accepted and not be picky unless I have the luxury to do so.

Members don't see this ad :)
Definitely apply to a couple. Maybe you'll have bad luck in TX (it's happened) or maybe there's a school or two you've always wanted to apply to or somewhere you've always wanted to live.

Chances are if you get in, you'll pat yourself on the back and then decline the acceptance when you realize that $70k/yr COA is a joke compared to $15k for TX schools (like I did). Plus, TX schools are just awesome.

I'm applying to only the TX schools now. Taking my chances 'cause I don't want to go to any other state. Hopefully it'll work out! :p

I applied to Texas schools and about 10 out of state schools. I wanted to keep my options open just in case I needed to go out of the state. However, if I get admitted to any Texas school chances are I will stay cause it is a big difference in overall cost.

I applied to Texas schools and about 10 out of state schools. I wanted to keep my options open just in case I needed to go out of the state. However, if I get admitted to any Texas school chances are I will stay cause it is a big difference in overall cost.

samsies... Hopefully everything will workout well for everyone, but you never know. I figured it was worth it after hearing from a few Texans who had to reapply.

samsies... Hopefully everything will workout well for everyone, but you never know. I figured it was worth it after hearing from a few Texans who had to reapply.

I did the same. I had planned to only apply to Texas schools, but my advisor gave me a look of stunned disbelief when I told her.... so, I took the hint. Applied to about 10 OOS schools, just in case.

I applied only to Texas schools and barely made it. I suggesting applying to a few OOS schools just in case.

So, who is going start the Republic of Texas thread for this cycle?