Texas application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jammin06

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
for those that live in texas, maybe u can help me out. I go to Rice, but i am originally from alabama. I am considering taking residence here to get access to the medical school system thas in place. I've also heard that a majority of the texas schools (excluding baylor) are not on teh AMCAS system. My question is, could i take residence here, and use that address for my Texas application, but then use my Alabama address for my AMCAS. The only reason i do this is because i don't want to lose my instate eligibility for the University of Alabama-Birmingham. any input? thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, what college? I'm a Lovett girl.

You can't have residence in two states at once. You also can't get Texas residence while you're still in school. To get Texas residence, you have to live in Texas for a full year without being a student. It's really more complicated than that, but that's the upshot.

They vet the residency thing pretty well. You'll be an Alabama resident for application and tuition purposes, and it's probably better not to try to fool the system.

baker sophomore here, are u sure u have to have a year of residence w/o being a student? i've known quite a few people that like either get houses or condos the year before they apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you will not be allowed to claim residency in more than one state. To be eligible for TX residency you have to live here for a year (?) and it can't be for school. I looked into it last summer when there was a chance I would be relocated to Seattle. The upshot was, I would lose TX residency when I moved and not have residency in WA for a year! Bad idea.

Check the TMDSAS site for specifics on the state residency question.

I'm sure some people have managed to claim dual residencies with AMCAS/TMDSAS, but you'd be really sorry if they ever caught you.

Theresa

Originally posted by jammin06
baker sophomore here, are u sure u have to have a year of residence w/o being a student? i've known quite a few people that like either get houses or condos the year before they apply.

From the TMDSAS website:
An individual 18 years of age or over who resides out of the state or who has come from outside Texas and registers in an educational institution before having resided in Texas for a 12-month period shall be classified as a nonresident student and will remain a nonresident as long as the residence of the individual in Texas is primarily for the purpose of attending an educational institution.

It is, however, possible with some schools to get residency status after a year of med school, if you purchase a residence. I don't have specific details, but I remember some OOS's saying that at an interview. (Baylor, maybe?)

Theresa

Originally posted by TheresaW
It is, however, possible with some schools to get residency status after a year of med school, if you purchase a residence. I don't have specific details, but I remember some OOS's saying that at an interview. (Baylor, maybe?)

Theresa

yup i heard this as well at baylor. btw, baylor apparently gives out several scholarships to its out of state students if you're considering applying as a non-tx resident. don't know about the tmdsas schools tho.

Originally posted by spumoni620
yup i heard this as well at baylor. btw, baylor apparently gives out several scholarships to its out of state students if you're considering applying as a non-tx resident. don't know about the tmdsas schools tho.

Yeah, Baylor brings tuition down about 4k with an automatic out-of-state scholarship, bringing tuition down to 15k.

Ive heard all URMs accepted to Baylor get a rull ride.

If you buy property in TX (ie Condoland in Houston), you can live there a year and get in-state tuition for last 3 years.

Note: Residency for tuition purposes is governed by the Texas Education Code. Please be aware that because these rules are state statues, they are subject to change. For the complete rules and regulations, please check the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board website at http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/reports/pdf/0183.pdf

If a student's residence in Texas is primarily for the purpose of education and not to establish a domicile, the student shall be classified as a nonresident. A domicile is defined as "Physically residing in Texas for at least 12 consecutive months with the intent to make Texas one's permanent home. The burden of proof that a domicile has been established lies with the student."

To be considered a Texas resident for tuition purposes you must be an U.S. citizen or possess U.S. permanent resident status and meet one of the following criteria:

(A) The student has resided all or most of his or her life in Texas and has never established a domicile in another state;

(B) The student is a dependent of a parent who is a Texas resident. Proof will consist of a statement from the parents residing in Texas certifying that the student is currently claimed as a dependent on their federal income tax

(C) The student has been gainfully employed while residing in Texas as a non-full-time student for the twelve consecutive months preceding his or her enrollment, and other evidence indicating that (s)he has established a domicile in Texas;

(D) The student has come to Texas as a dependent or spouse of a household member moved to the state to accept employment and the student has resided in Texas twelve consecutive months;

(E) All the following criteria are met:

Reside in Texas for at least twelve (12) full consecutive months;
Be an independent adult (not claimed on parent's taxes);
Signed and Notarized Oath of Residency;
Completion of a residency application;
Ownership of a residence (i.e., townhouse, condominium, single family unit, or duplex) for all or most of the past twelve months. Student must be domiciled (reside) in said residence and hold title to the residence in his/her name or with his or her spouse and file for the homestead property tax exemption;
If licensed to drive a motor vehicle, the license must be issued from the State; if not licensed to drive, must have a Texas State identification card;
If registered to vote, registration must be in the state of Texas; and
If the owner of a vehicle, vehicle must be registered in the state of Texas immediately upon expiration of plates from the previous state.
Additionally, one or more of the following criteria must be met:

Membership in state organizations;
Having wills or other legal documents that indicate domicile in Texas;
Establishment of a business in Texas;
Current bank account(s) in Texas opened all or most of the past twelve months.
A nonresident who marries a resident of Texas must establish his or her own residency by meeting the above requirements.
A request for change of state of legal residence must be delivered to Stephanie Tefas in the Office of the Registrar by July 31st. Reclassification of residency is certified only from July 1 - July 31 with the effective date of August 1 each year.

Special requirements exist for non-U.S. citizens and military personnel.

Yeah, make sure you read the TMDSAS carefully. They have a couple of exceptions that you can try if you don't fit under their traditional definition.

Also pay attention to the Alabama residency requirements. If you gain Texas residency, it's possible that time will elapse on your Alabama residency.

Remember in your application, they will ask you for your CV, which documents what you've been doing.

One interesting tidbit I didn't know until I was faced with this similar episode: There is a difference between Texas residency status for admission purposes and for tuition purposes. Admissions committees typically decide on admissions in the Fall of Year 1, so at that time you might be a resident... but it's possible to become a non-resident when you pay tuition, Fall of Year 2 when you actually matriculate/start school.

So be very careful of that... they tried to nail me for that, stupid bastards.

CV = Resume. Or something like it.

Usually school's secondary or the match application will have a space where you list your activities in chronological order. It's easy for them to just glance at it and see where you've been in the last couple of years.

Originally posted by TheresaW
I'm sure some people have managed to claim dual residencies with AMCAS/TMDSAS, but you'd be really sorry if they ever caught you.

If you are a dependent of your parents who live in Alabama and you have lived in Texas for a year and meet thier res requirements, then it is perfectly acceptable to try to claim two states as residencies. I know a few people who were able to have multiple residencies for undergrad because of divorsed parents who lived in other states. It's all about tax $. If you or your parents are paying taxes in two states (by living in a state you must be at least paying state sales tax), you are chipping in for state funding that goes to medical schools. It stinks that AMCAS forces you to choose only one state, otherwise I could have 2 states. I work and pay taxes in one state. If the non-AMCAS Texas applications can get you around that, by all means go for it.

UTSW also guarantees at least a $1000 scholarship to all out of staters making them eligible for instate tuition regardless of how long they've lived in texas or any other residency requirement