Texas Children’s Peds Anesthesiology Fellowship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravenclaw90

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what residency programs typically send residents to the Texas Children’s pediatric anesthesia fellowship?

I am currently forming my rank list as an MS4 and have heard that if your goal is to match into a certain fellowship, then look at which programs have a track record of sending their graduates there.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok I’ll bite.

Don’t do this. Pick the program that’s going to give you a solid, well-rounded experience, in a place you want to live, with people you think you can stand to spend 4 years with. I would say most people in my class who came in thinking they were going to do one thing wound up doing something completely different, or at least thought seriously about it.

Very best of luck in the match!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I agree. I’ve tried my best to do that, and looking at my list, it naturally ends up that the better quality programs with comprehensive exposure do well in peds and all the subspecialty matches.

That said, I have 2 more questions-

1. How much should we consider a program director or chair’s ability to make a phone call? Enough to just avoid the program that hasn’t sent anyone into peds for the last 5-8 years? Or should we have faith that we can write our own ticket anywhere, based on ITE performance and research? What I know is word of mouth matters much more at the fellowship level. So this is all very confusing.

2. What do you recommend if I don’t know whether I want a PP job or an academic one? It feels too early to know, and yet that’s a big divider between all the options.

2. What do you recommend if I don’t know whether I want a PP job or an academic one? It feels too early to know, and yet that’s a big divider between all the options.

Going to a big-name program keeps more of your options open IMHO, because PP won't think less of you for having been to a big-name residency, whereas the fancy fellowships often prefer grads from equally fancy programs.

Edited to add: Regarding your original question, Baylor almost certainly sends people to the TCH fellowship. It's almost literally next door and is a strong program.

1. How much should we consider a program director or chair’s ability to make a phone call? Enough to just avoid the program that hasn’t sent anyone into peds for the last 5-8 years? Or should we have faith that we can write our own ticket anywhere, based on ITE performance and research? What I know is word of mouth matters much more at the fellowship level. So this is all very confusing.

How will you be able to adequately gauge a chair or program director's ability to make a phone call on your behalf? Will you just ask them on your interview day if they have any friends at Texas Children's? How do you even know whether as a resident you'll make enough of a connection or impression on them to even do this for you?

I believe that you generally write your own ticket during residency with hard work, good clinical skills, ITE performance, research, and not being a general douchebag. This is especially true for a fellowship like pediatrics, where there are a few very large programs.

Reactions: 2 users
How will you be able to adequately gauge a chair or program director's ability to make a phone call on your behalf? Will you just ask them on your interview day if they have any friends at Texas Children's? How do you even know whether as a resident you'll make enough of a connection or impression on them to even do this for you?

I believe that you generally write your own ticket during residency with hard work, good clinical skills, ITE performance, research, and not being a general douchebag. This is especially true for a fellowship like pediatrics, where there are a few very large programs.

You are right! I won’t know. Seems like as long as I attend a quality program that’s academic enough to support me, things will work out.

I’ve been struggling after hearing advice such as “go to the program that’ll get you where you want to go” because I’m aware my goals will change, thus that feels a bit nebulous to me. A lot of people emphasize training regionally to build those connections, but I’ve also heard I should focus more on where I’ll thrive and that the region has less of a link than I think. I’m interested in moving out of Texas to experience more before coming back, but I’m hoping it doesn’t hurt me. I figure once the time comes, I can always figure out how to get that “dream job”, and that it’s normal for it to take time before opportunities to arise, in the event I have less connections.

1. How much should we consider a program director or chair’s ability to make a phone call?

You can't count on anything, honestly. During my 4 years in residency we had 2 chairs and 3 PDs - they told us the average PD only lasts 3-4 years on average nationwide. Anecdotal of course, but you should aim to be the best resident and physician you can be - if you have a strong work ethic and are a good worker, then people will vouch for you. If you come in day 1 and say "it's TCH or best for me" you'll be a huge turnoff and quickly written off as little more than a gunner.

That being said if you are for some random reason interested in a particular fellowship, look into it's core residency program (TCH is Baylor). Large programs like that always take from within, although you might be facing stiff competition. It's better to keep your mind open going forward, 4 years is a long time.