Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - DO' started by TCOM2004, Mar 29, 2000.

1. TCOM2004

TCOM2004 New Member

Hello future DO's, I just found this site and I think its great. I was wondering how many people on this board are going to TCOM this fall. I would like to here a few words about yourself. Has anyone heard anything about orientation and when school actually starts? One other question, how much do you know about the 3/4 year, it seems like most of it is spent in local clinics, will we get to see much hospital action (ex ER, surgery) Sorry for so many questions, I'm just excited. Hope to hear for you.

Thanks, Andrew

[This message has been edited by TCOM2004 (edited 03-29-2000).]

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. apollosrt

apollosrt Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I've recently been accepted at TCOM for fall 2000. The third and fourth years ARE mostly in clincs at or near the school. However, you will get plenty of hospital training at the nearby hospital and at John Peter Smith. Remember: the D.O. philosophy is best practiced in a general practice setting and you'll get your share of that. But, it is also fact that D.O.s are adequately trained in surgery and other fields, so you'll get a bit of everything...
    Classes start Aug. 7 and oreientation begins July 31 I think.
    I'm excited too! I just need to start thinking about where I am going to live! Have you looked at all for housing?

Sam

4. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Don't worry...you'll be on the wards enough to make you sick of it [​IMG]

------------------
    David Russo, MS3
    UNTHSC/TCOM
    Research Fellow, Department of Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine

5. DO Boy

DO Boy Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Honestly, Dave, that is the very best thing I've heard about TCOM so far. Glad to hear that!

6. josara

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I just found out I was accepted at TCOM a few days ago. I'm 28, married, and live in San Antonio. We have friends and family in North Texas, so we'll probably stay with one of them until we find something. gpa 3.18, mcat 31

7. drusso

Physician Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Welcome, TCOM'ers! I think that you'll be very satisfied with your decision to attend UNTHSC-TCOM. Good luck!

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited 04-08-2000).]

8. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

Well, about housing...

I live in Ft Worth, and have all my life, and I have a few ideas. First off, there are a LOT of new apartments that have gone up in the last 2 years, and not NEARLY enough people to live in them. Only 1 complex was really hit by the 3/28 tornado. Also, there are many houses for lease in the nearby Monticello area. If you dont mind a drive, there are townhouse apartments over by Hulen Mall. Also, there is a complex going up RIGHT NEXT to the campus, by the Back Porch (if thats still there...they were going to close). My suggestion is simply to go and look. If you want close by, drive around in Monticello (the street entrance is right off 7th by the parking garage), or look on 7th, or on White Settlement. If you want "nightlife", look in Downtown...if you drive down 7th towards downtown, there are the Firestone apartments. They're right near Sundance Square, which holds the nicest movie theaters, restraunts and clubs. Granted, it probably doesnt look so great right now, 'cause thats right where the tornado hit, but it should be cleaned up sometime this year. I hope this helps! Feel free to email me if you want more specific info about location, etc.

9. cocoNUT

cocoNUT Member
    10+ Year Member

Of all the DO schools, I am most interested in applying to TCOM b/c my husband is interested in the Chiropractic school in Fort Worth. Can anyone tell me about the commute between the two?

Also, how do you guys feel about chiropractic? Although I will support my husband 110%, I am still trying to figure out my stand on chiropractic healing.

10. drusso

Attending Physician
    The chiropractic school is in Plano which is quite a ways from FW...you might have to live somewhere between the two cities and split the difference.

On chiropractic: I have no problem with chiros per se. Just as I have no problem with PT's, massage therapists, or others who practice one form or another of manual manipulative medicine/therapy. The cool thing about being a DO is being able to use manual medicine in the hospital and for medically complicated patients.

I will say that as a OMM predoctoral fellow I've seen a lot of patients get screwed around by chiros. It seems that their professional standards are lower than that of MD's and DO's. Patients have also told me that they feel "churned" when they go see chiros--slam bam thank you ma'am, come back twice a week for 4 months and then we'll put you on a maintenance schedule of adjustments. Whereas, when they see a DO they get a full half-hour or more of treatment. This is partly due to the fact that DO's are reimbursed more for manipulation than chiros are. Moreover, I know that my hand skills are not half as good as most chiros, nor our most of our techniques THAT much different, and I'll see patients who've been a chiro for 6-8 months with little improvement and I'll get them feeling less burdened by pain in 3-6 treatments. What's going on here???

I've sneaked into chiro seminars and workshops and their profession has a very commercial feel to it. The focus seems to be more practice building than science. Just my opinion...

Also, I think that being non-medically trained is a major limitation for chiropractors. It's a real advantage to have everything at your disposal when working with the musculoskeletal system: Drugs, advanced diagnostic imaging, expert medical consultants in other fields, and manipulation. I've seen all kinds of things get by chiros unnoticed. To be fair, I also know that chiros have picked up medical problems missed by PCPs, orthopods, and neurologists.

I'm frightened that chiros believe that they can deliver primary medical care without the benefit of clinical rotations in hospitals and specialty clinics and residency training.

11. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

Well, the commute between TCOM and Plano could be long-ish seeming, but to be honest, nothing in the metroplex is *that* far away unless you're unfortunate enough to get caught in rush hour. If you live in the middle, it should be ~30 minutes if you dont drive from 7-9 am or 4-6pm.

Good luck!
    Star

12. cocoNUT

cocoNUT Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the insight. I, too, kinda felt like I was the victim of an over-pushy salesman when I went to a chiropractor for minor back aches. I kinda dismissed it as the "doctor's" personality flaw. Hmmm... maybe I should visit a couple of others.

The commute b/w the two schools sounds pretty long. I'm from an island where you can travel from one end of the island to the other (~ 40miles )in about an hour (speed limit is 45mph).

13. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

I think that with chiropractors, as with any profession, it really depends on the person. If they went into chiropracty for the $$, yes it'll seem like a sales rap, but if they really care about what they're doing and their patients health, it doesnt seem so much like that. If you still want to go to a chiropractor, look around a bit until you find a good one. After all, some MDs and DOs seem like sales reps too!

Hm, comparatively, yes it is a long drive. Something you get kinda used to in Tx, though, is that NOTHING is very close by (it takes 12 hours to drive from Texarkana to El Paso and 8 hours to drive from the OK border north of Denton to Brownsville..speed limit 70). The mid-cities really arent that far from anything, though, so look in North Richland Hills and Haltom City etc. Stay away from Arlington, though, if you want to avoid traffic. Good luck!

14. Baadnesss

Baadnesss Junior Member

Hey!!! I plan to live in Arlington next year. Anyone know if I-20 between arlington and FW is packed in the mornings?

15. Duo Degree

Duo Degree Member
    10+ Year Member

yeah..i live in arlington right now. the traffic isnt too bad, but i wouldnt recommend living there and commuting! it gets to be a BIG hassle. traffic doesnt really get bad until you get to the mix master at the start of downtown ft worth. its been under construction and the new highway system in that area should be completed soon.

16. Starflyr

Starflyr Manic Faerie
    10+ Year Member

I-20 probably isnt *that* bad in the morning, comparatively (not sure, I live off I-30), the problem comes in when you get off of it. Hulen is a horrendous MESS and Bryant Irvin Rd is getting that way, what with all the stoplights. South Drive/TCU wouldnt be that bad, traffic-wise, but it's REALLY confusing between I-20 and the TCU campus (Ive lived here since I was born and I *still* get lost in that area). On the other hand if you take 820 to 30, you have to go through the mixmaster, which is right now, also a horrendous mess...there's a TON of construction. The new mixmaster should probably be finished in a year (maybe 2), then it shouldnt be a problem. If you can manage to not drive during rush-hour, though, it shouldnt be bad. (7-9 am, 4:30-6:30 pm)

Good luck!
    Star