Texas Heart Cardiac Anesthesia fellowship program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wanted to respond when I first saw this question but was too lazy to make an account. Now I made one so will respond. I am intentionally only stating facts to be as unbiased as possible.

1. Three fellows I spoke with were disappointed with the program within the first 4 months of starting the fellowship.
2. TEE in person teaching is minimal. Most is using an computer program.
3. UTHouston pulled their residents this year from THI.
4. One anesthesia assistant has quit.
5. THI has not replaced the lost residents or AA. Fellows now must take open First and Second calls residents would take. Because these positions were not replaced, there are 3 less people on the release schedule every day which means everyone stays late.
6. You do not get post-second call day off.
7. Hospital is in financial difficulty leading to many layoffs. This includes pharmacists, (it is difficult, sometimes impossible, and slow to get medications in the OR) and anesthesia techs (rooms are frequently unstocked - must get there earlier in AM to stock your own room).
8. Attendings largely receive positive evaluations from residents and fellows.
9. Parking is $208/month
10. There are weekend moonlighting opportunities - 24h brings home ~$600 after taxes.
11. Free breakfast and lunch in physician break room.

Last edited by a moderator: