Texas interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BioAggie

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had an interview at a Texas school yet, and if so, how long after your application was processed did you receive requests for interviews? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, I interviewed at Houston on August 24th and will interview at TCOM Sept 7 and UTMB Sept 8. I know that A&M has also begun interviewing. My application was processed July 27 (I got it in in mid-June)and my secondaries were sent mid/end of July. I got the invites all around the same time - August 11 for Houston, 13 for UTMB and the 17th for TCOM (I actually got a call before I got a letter from them) Hope this helps!

Hey fellow Ag --
My Texas application packet was processed on July 20th, and I started hearing back from schools about two or three weeks afterwards. I've already interviewed at Houston, Galveston, and A&M, and I have interviews set up at Southwestern and San Antonio the next few weeks. So now I've heard from all the schools I applied to in-state.

It seems like the slowest part of the whole process is the actual application service, and once the individual schools receive the info, they turn it around pretty quickly. I hope this helps, and good luck with the whole process!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I heard back from UTMB rather quickly and have an interview for October 6th. My application was processed on August 14th. If declines you for an interview do they send a letter? If so is it sent out at the same time as the interview offers or later?

Thanks for all of the info---really puts me more at ease. Austin received my application on July 31st, so I guess I should here from them soon. I'll let you know when I get word.

Gig Em Ags!!!!!!!!!
(Beat the hell outta Notre Dame!!)

yep, you should start hearing from them pretty soon....I actually got interview letters before I got the confirmation of processing from Austin. All the better, I guess
smile.gif
Just got the SA letter today (yay! sorry, had to share). How does SWern contact? (phone, letter, etc) How long did it take from application/2ndary receipt to contact time? and do they send rejection letters to those who dont qualify for an interview?

I got my first interview letter today from UT Houston. My application was processed on Sept. 7. I got the invitation today and I'm interviewing on Sept. 29th. Anyone else interviewing that day?

Got an interview at UT Houston tomorrow (I'm very nervous) and at Southwestern the first weekend in October. Haven't heard from UTMB or UTSA.
With Southwestern, it was pretty strange. I sent in my secondary the last week of August, and got an interview invite in the mail a week later. How strange is that?
Still waiting on Baylor. I just submitted that application the beginning of this week. I have my fingers crossed on that one...
wink.gif

xena

How was the interview Xena? Any tips? Thanks!!

Hi BioAggie,

The interview went pretty well! It was my first one, and I didn't prepare for it because I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to go to UTHouston anyway (they don't allow you to defer and I want to defer admission for a year to go to Africa). I think that I got some decent interview practice, though, and the school is very impressive.

The day consisted of 2 interviews interspersed with tours of the school, lectures (research, financial aid, etc.), and lunch. Both interviews were really laid back. The first interviewer I spoke with was a member of the admissions committee (and a clinical faculty member) and he asked me very specific questions (ie Tell me about yourself, Describe yourself, What do you like to do, Why do you want to be a doctor, When did you decide you wanted to be a doctor). I actually saw him writing down some of my replies! He also asked me some specifics about my essay, and asked how I expected the idealism I expressed to continue through medical school and beyond. btw - The only info both interviewers have about you is your undergrad school, GPA, MCAT, and your personal statement. My one regret I have about this interview is that I didn't ask the interviewer more questions about himself! I think you can learn a lot from physicians themselves regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the profession, their specialization etc.

My second interview was much more laid back and very un-structured. My interviewer and I just chatted for an hour on the current state of the US healthcare system. I criticized the healthcare system in my personal statement, and she agreed with my criticisms but added more to them. I definitely think I learned a lot here, too.

Advice: come prepared with a lot of questions for both *clinical* faculty and basic sciences faculty. You don't know who you are going to get. Most of the questions I had prepared were in regard to the basic science curriculum, and my interviewers knew nothing about them. Also, don't be nervous. Thinking of the interviewer as your equal, an acquaintance that you're having a chat with, really helps. I was *super* nervous during my first interview, and I realize that I shouldn't have been because no one was out to get me. Had I just informally answered the questions he had asked me and chatted a bit more, I would have been less nervous and more conversational. I think conversational with a healthy interest in the interviewer herself/himself is the way to go.

Hope this helps.
Do you have an interview at UTHouston, Bioaggie? Just wondering.
Good luck!
smile.gif

xena

My interview at UTH is on Friday(Sept. 29th), and like you it's my first one. Thanks for being so informative about your interview. I'll keep you posted on how mine goes.

Hey BioAggie --

Like you, UT-Houston was my first interview. I had a similar experience to Xena, and I really enjoyed the afternoon. The facilities and faculty were impressive, but the students were the best thing about the school. I saw many former classmates of mine from A&M, and they all really loved it. One little bit of advice -- take advantage of the UT-Houston tour and the Hermann tour, but don't go to MD Andersen unless you really want to. It was quite a hike (esp. in 100+ degree afternoon heat), and they really didn't show us much.

FYI, I dropped off Interview Questionairres at the OPSA office for all of my in-state interviews. If you want, drop by their office in the Academic Building and ask to see them. Good luck!

UT-Houston was my second interview, way back on 15 August. It was rather unique compared to others. My first interviewer was an Endocrinologist. He was quite dry and, get this, he tape recorded the whole thing. I thought that approach was a little weak. I am an older, non-traditional student and feel right at home in interviews, but I thought the tape recorder could be a major distraction to a younger, nervous applicant. Besides, I believe if someone wants to record you, they are required to ask your permission. At the very least, doing so would be the polite thing to do.
He started off by asking me if I had any questions. I have specific career plans (I want to complete a dual MD/DO and MPH program), so I go to each interview armed with questions. He just let me fire away. My interview ran over and lasted 45 minutes. Thirty of it was me asking him questions!? He talked more than I did!
My second interviewer was the Chairman of Family and Community Medicine and a Harvard Alumnus. That one was pretty much a 35 minute, very relaxed conversation about my military service and my goals in family medicine and public health.
In regards to the tours, to be honest, I thought they bordered on being a waste of time. They showed us the hallways of Hermann and MD Anderson. I went on a tour of the ER, which showed us the front of the ER. We were told that we could not go in because of patient privacy, which I understand. In my interview critique, I recommended that they come up with a good multimedia presentation in addition to the tour. I have seen this done at a few other schools and I liked it. UT-Houston has a lot to show off and should do so, loudly.
The STUDENT BODY was GREAT. They were all very helpful and supportive of each other, as well as the interviewees. Everyone was very happy.
UT-Houston is a great school, especially if you are interested in an unlimited choice of research opportunities or looking for the opportunity to do some very interesting sub-specialty electives during your clinical years. Their curriculum, faculty, clinicals and student body are solid. As for me though, it is too big and not what I am looking for in a school. I think a student with goals like mine would be more embraced at TCOM, my first choice, or UT- San Antonio my second.
Good Luck- Houston is a great school. Relax and be yourself in the interview and you will do fine. If I could though, I would like to echo some of the above advice. Go to their web page and review it. Come up with a list of things you like about the school?s location, curriculum, clinicals, etc. Moreover, have a couple questions to ask them, in case they give you the opportunity. I have done this with all my interviews, and I have received multiple positive comments for it. If nothing else, you present yourself as an eager, informed and professional applicant. Again, good luck!

HELP!!

I have a UT Southwestern interview this weekend and I am a nervous wreck!! I've been writing the things down that I want to communicate during my interview, practicing with questions, etc., but it's still stressing me out.

Plus, some person who had an interview there this interview season (on interviewfeedback.com) said that one of the interviewers got mad at her/him because the interview before ran late. This seems very unfair to me. You can't very well continuously look at your watch during your interview and just cut it off! (Or maybe you can, I don't know...)

Has anyone had a positive interview at UT Southwestern and want to share?

Thanks.

xena

XENA --

I had nothing but good experiences at UT-Southwestern, so hopefully that may allay your fears. After completing the Texas interview circuit, UT-Southwestern is definitely my top choice. Both of my interviewers were very laid back and easy to talk with. I guess the person from interviewfeedback.com was just a random case, because everyone else I talked with had similar experiences to mine.

Even though the interview is on a Saturday, we actually met over a hundred students because they offered free lunches for everyone. It was really cool to meet normal, everyday students and not just the tour guides. They also encouraged us to come back on a normal weekday so we could get a better feel for a typical school day.

Well, I don't know if that makes you feel any better, but hopefully it does. It's really a neat place -- I hope you enjoy!

Thanks for soothing my fears a bit, Crafty. It sounds like you had a great experience! Now, of course, all you can do is wait, and wait, and wait, until the January 15 notification date... how stressful. Baylor and UTSouthwestern are my top choices, and my nervousness (probably) stems from the 'performance anxiety' associated with that. After all, they accept half the people they interview... at this point, it almost seems like a crap-shoot!

I have a specific question for you (or anyone who has interviewed at Southwestern): Did the interviewers ask any extremely in-depth questions about your research experiences? I know that UTSouthwestern is especially known for being a research-oriented school, and I don't really know how in-depth I should review research that I did four years ago!

Advice would be very appreciated. Thanks!

xena

XENA:
I think I'm the one who filled out that interview response on interviewfeedback.com, but let me clarify. First of all, my overall experience at UTSouthwestern was great. I think it will be my top choice, but I still have two more schools to see. Anyway, the first interview was VERY relaxed. He had already read my application and just wanted to know what questions I had for him. I was late for my second interview (my first one went 1.25 hours), and I don't think that made him too happy. He challenged some of what I said in my application, but I don't think it was too bad. After I brought it up, he asked me to elaborate on my research, esp. the "next steps". Anyway, it was a great experience--don't be too stressed out. Remember, you're there b/c THEY want you to be. Be proud of that. Good luck!

XENA --

I know, the waiting game is just beginning. Argghh! Baylor apparently begins mailing out acceptances on Oct. 15th, so at least that isn't too far away. I have my fingers crossed!

As for the questions regarding research at Southwestern, I didn't even get one. I have done some research (for academic credit) in the past, and this year I have just begun a year-long independent research project. I included those experiences on my application, but they weren't a focal point (mainly because at the time of the application, I hadn't actually started the project). So I would suggest you at least refresh your memory of what you did, but don't spend a lot of time trying to relearn everything. If that was a major part of your application/personal statement, it probably will come up in the interview. But it wasn't discussed in my half hour conversations.

Now that you mention it, I don't recall research being discussed very heavily during my visit. Maybe it's just a given, so they don't emphasize it to interviewees. I don't know.

Well, good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Hey Crafty,

What weekend did you interview at Baylor? I interviewed on the 22nd, and I'm sitting on pins and needles already -- and it's not even the fifteenth yet! Needless to say, I feel your pain.

Hey lilycat --

I actually interviewed at Baylor on Sept. 8th, and I loved it! Everything was very impressive, but the coolest part of the whole weekend was getting to meet the current med students informally at the "get-together" on Friday night at Two Rows. I felt like I would really fit in there, and I didn't get the sense of a cut-throat atmosphere I had heard rumors about.

Well, I guess it's eleven days and counting. Plus, you have to add in-transit mailing days, so who knows?!? Good luck -- I hope we all get the big fat envelope!

Thanks so much for your advice on the UT Southwestern interview, FourthTime and Crafty! I had my interview this weekend and it went *great*! The whole day was extremely well coordinated (I can't say the same thing about the UT Houston interview day I had) and both my interviews went really well. Both interviewers were very positive about my resume, research experiences, etc., and I didn't get any specific questions on my research (well, so much for reviewing it...).
I also feel fortunate that both of my interviewers were sympathetic to my interests in public health. I know some people who ended up arguing with their interviewer about the importance of public health/nutrition/prevention in the practice of medicine... not a good situation to be in.
Anyway, I guess all we can do is wait now. Good luck, all!!

xena