Texas license after board certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medad98

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all. Has anyone with board certification from another state had any experience applying for Texas medical license? Some info about me:
- I am board certified in IM with a Pennsylvania medical license
- I am planning to move to Texas for personal reasons and looking to practice there
- I am a Caribbean grad with not all "greenbook" rotations
What are some potential challenges I could face? Is it an easy and quick process? I contacted Texas Medical Board but they responded saying they can't say anything unless I apply.

Members don't see this ad.

A quick check of the math tells me that if you have an unrestricted license in PA then you're okay to apply for one in Texas. The exception would be if you have an PA DO license with only one year of post-graduate training, in which case you'd need another year to apply to Texas as an IMG. That's also assuming you passed your step exams within Texas' timeframe (7 years) and that Texas "accepts" the diploma from your medical school. You can find a list of such schools on the TMB website.

Having had a number of state licenses, I've found Texas to be one of the more expensive and difficult ones to obtain. I was very efficient during the process and it took me about 7 months.

Point of clarification, you don't get board certification from a state. You're licensed in another state.

Reactions: 1 user
I have two state licenses, Texas being one of them. Took me something like 5-6 months despite minimal inefficiency on my end.

I'm an AMG, but I vaguely remember something somewhere that talked about the green book rotation issue -- I forget what the story was there. Maybe you mentioned it because you've already looked into it. But that might be worth a quick search.

Aside from that, it's the same as any other state board. Costs time (especially for Texas) and money, but you should be fine unless you have a bunch of red flags.

Reactions: 1 user
To echo what Veil says above....My husband has a Texas license (as well as others) and in our experience yes, it does take about 6 months time. And it appears to take that long for everybody, because he's an AMG that grew up in Texas, went to Undergrad and Med school here, we were very efficient in the application, had no red flags etc, and it still took that long.

My advice is that if you leave a state, but think there might be a possibility that you'll ever go back there, keep your license active. Or, see if there is a way to temporarily retire it without having to reapply if you go back. My husband practiced in TX for 5 years, left for a few, and then we decided to come back. All during that time, he kept his TX license active. I know for a fact that benefited him immensely when we started looking at practice opportunities back here.

Last edited: