Quantcast

Texas MD, 2.99, 504,URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am using my friends account to post....don't judge tho:

I just submitted my TMDSAS today with a 2.99 gpa/sgpa :( (I know) 504 MCAT (received today). I have 10+ years of extensive clinical experience, published 5 papers, AA female mother, strong connections, strong PS, 100+ shadowing hours,100+ community service. Post back, 45 credits, 3.5 gpa but TMDSAS doesn't show a separate section for this :( Im worried about being autoscreened or waitlisted.

Should I put my bid in or withdraw app? Don't want to be a reapplicant next year. I have 30+ DO schools Im applying to but trying to stay in Texas. Thanks!!!!!!!!

trs88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just asking, but why don't you make your own account?

Regarding Texas, super bad news, but you're going to get autoscreened with that gpa. I also think your mcat is too low as well.
What is your gpa for the DO schools? I think with the 504 mcat you should get some interviews.

Reactions: 1 user

bananafish94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be okay. Bummer you couldn't get your GPA to 3.0 because there could conceivably be some kind of point/pre-screening thing with that, but such is life. According to the AAMC grid linked below for African Americans, people with your stats get in 49.4% of the time! Plus, Texas has a reputation for being a good state for applying, and you seem to have an upward trend and a compelling life story. Especially with DO schools, I am optimistic. Best of luck!

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just asking, but why don't you make your own account?

Regarding Texas, super bad news, but you're going to get autoscreened with that gpa. I also think your mcat is too low as well.
What is your gpa for the DO schools? I think with the 504 mcat you should get some interviews.
He was already logged in so I just asked if I could ask this question :) Im visiting with him.
DO gpa is 3.4/3.6 I applied to most of them after I got approved for the fee wavier.

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I think you'll be okay. Bummer you couldn't get your GPA to 3.0 because there could conceivably be some kind of point/pre-screening thing with that, but such is life. According to the AAMC grid linked below for African Americans, people with your stats get in 49.4% of the time! Plus, Texas has a reputation for being a good state for applying, and you seem to have an upward trend and a compelling life story. Especially with DO schools, I am optimistic. Best of luck!

https://www.aamc.org/download/321514/data/factstablea24-2.pdf
Thanks! It sucks cause I calculated a 3.1 but TMDSAS gave me a 2.99. Debating on taking a 5 week summer class for the extra bump but I know that will look sketch :/

trs88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With your improved gpa, I really think you're going to get some love from the DO schools.

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
With your improved gpa, I really think you're going to get some love from the DO schools.
I hope so! Hope to get some love from the new Tx Do school in San Antonio

anonymoose1640

Reaction score
Not sure if you've already done this, but since you personally calculated your TMDSAS GPA as 3.1 you should definitely double check that all of your classes were verified correctly and that you received the right amount of credits per grade. If there's a mistake, it might be possible for your GPA to be bumped up above 3.0, that way you won't get auto-screened by any schools.

Also, in regards to auto-screening. I know some schools do it, but a lot of schools give you the opportunity to argue why you should still continue to be reviewed even if your GPA or MCAT is below their minimum metric. Keep an eye out for those types of prompts and fill them out honestly.

I'm sure you'll get some love from DO schools at the very least, but I hope you're able to receive some IIs from a few of the TX MD schools. Good luck with your applications and your cycle!!

kamakazi5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What types of classes did you take during post-bac? I've done around 40 hours but only half is science they were all prerequisites at my local CC.

I'm also in Texas with a little higher GPA but not taking the MCAT until next month. Texas is a good state to apply but it mostly seems to advantage average candidates. Only one school's 10th percentile GPA is in the 3.3 range.

D

deleted407021

He was already logged in so I just asked if I could ask this question :) Im visiting with him.
DO gpa is 3.4/3.6 I applied to most of them after I got approved for the fee wavier.
Not sure about MD programs, but you're very likely to see DO interviews!

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
What types of classes did you take during post-bac? I've done around 40 hours but only half is science they were all prerequisites at my local CC.

I'm also in Texas with a little higher GPA but not taking the MCAT until next month. Texas is a good state to apply but it mostly seems to advantage average candidates. Only one school's 10th percentile GPA is in the 3.3 range.
I took classes like Biochem 1 and 2, medical mycology, cell phys,virology, behavior genetics, and a couple of other 3 and 4000 level science courses. I threw in a few psych and social classes to prep for the mcat. 18 credits per semester. No semester below 3.5 and ended with 3.8 this past spring.

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure about MD programs, but you're very likely to see DO interviews!
Yeah, pretty much cashing my bid in at DO schools. Im sure MD is out of the question but I just want to be a doc. I really didnt want to move out of Texas for my daughters sake :(

D

deleted407021

Yeah, pretty much cashing my bid in at DO schools. Im sure MD is out of the question but I just want to be a doc. I really didnt want to move out of Texas for my daughters sake :(
I hope it works out for y'all. I'm sure you're a great candidate for TCOM.

Good luck!

Doctor246853

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you think I should apply via AAMC to lower tier MD/HBCUs or just focus on TMDSAS (and cross fingers) and DO? I really dont wanna throw away anymore money than I need to, so if I virtually have no change at MD Im going to avoid AMCAS. I spent enough already.

Citygirl44

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks! It sucks cause I calculated a 3.1 but TMDSAS gave me a 2.99. Debating on taking a 5 week summer class for the extra bump but I know that will look sketch :/
Take the class. It will boost you up to a 3.0. I makes all of the difference in the world. Also apply to some HBCU's. Make sure you focus on their mission.

ThoracicGuy

7+ Year Member
    Reaction score
    I am using my friends account to post....don't judge tho:

I just submitted my TMDSAS today with a 2.99 gpa/sgpa :( (I know) 504 MCAT (received today). I have 10+ years of extensive clinical experience, published 5 papers, AA female mother, strong connections, strong PS, 100+ shadowing hours,100+ community service. Post back, 45 credits, 3.5 gpa but TMDSAS doesn't show a separate section for this :( Im worried about being autoscreened or waitlisted.

Should I put my bid in or withdraw app? Don't want to be a reapplicant next year. I have 30+ DO schools Im applying to but trying to stay in Texas. Thanks!!!!!!!!

You really should make your own account to ask this question. Sharing accounts raises far more questions and issues... and is against the TOS for that matter.