Texas med school (medigirl and Tod Cutler)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

panicking

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that I should post this thread in Pre-allo,
but I need advice from those who have been there.
I am a texas resident and I only want to go to
one of the texas med schools.
My GPA is 3.6 but only 3.3 in science. My MCAT is
V11,P11,B10,Q. Is it OK(safe enough) for me to
apply only to texas schools? or I need to look for
some other low-tier out-of-state schools.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a 27T on my MCAT and a 3.6 GPA at Texas A&M. And I still got in.

I wouldn't worry too much about it. I did have a lot of extra stuff that made me a "well-rounded" candidate, but none of it was medically related.

I say plunge in and you'll do fine.

P.S. I intended to apply through AMCAS, but my frustration with the on-line application led me to say "SCREW IT". So I scrapped it. :p

those numbers look pretty good for texas schools. you shouldn't have a problem if everything else is decent.you'll definitely get interviews with those numbers. i know plenty of people with worse scores who got in the 2006 classes. you should be safe with the 7 MD schools and the DO school. chances are: if you don't get into the worst school in TX, you probably won't be competitive in an out of state or private school. but then again, you can never have too many back ups.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the average MCAT scores for accepted applicants at San Antonio, Galveston, and Houston are about 27-28. I think A&M's was around 29 when I last checked, and Texas Tech's was in the same area. Southwestern's is about 32-33, which is expected because they're more prestigious. So you're in good shape. I had a 28Q and got a full scholarship to Galveston.

Agree with all of the above. It's my opinion that Texas residents have it the best out of any of the states. All of the UT classes are ~200, and the Baylor class is about 170's. And it seems there less prospective students per spot than other large states like California or New York. Good luck!

I think you will be fine just applying to Texas School. GOOD -LUCK