Texas Medical License for Carribean Grad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananas85

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I am applying for a TExas MEdical License. I am a PGY 3 . I keep hearing the licensing process is a beast. Why is that? From the outside it looks straight forward. Is it more complicated if you have graduated for a few years and have had jobs??

I have not been able to log into their LIST service. IS this something that you can sign up for once you pay the fees and finish the initial application. AM i going to get a shock at the amount of supplemental forms there will be?

I also have a few questions.

1.) I took two LOA during my PGY 2 and PGY 3 year for a surgery that resulted in 2 weeks off for post op both times. There is a question that mentions have you ever taken a LOA during training. I mentioned Yes and I will attach the supplemental form. Is this going to be a big deal if the medical condition has resolved.

2.) Before residency and after medical school, I worked at Dunkin DOnuts (rolls eyes), and a lab running flow cytometry just to make some coin. I did not list these jobs on my training and work experience cause it was beyond irrelevant. Will they frown upon that?

3.) During Medical School, I took 6 weeks in between 3 rd and 4th year while studying for my Step 2. It was not necessarily a LOA but I just had that much time due to way my graduation date was. One of the question in the licensing application was "have you ever taken a LOA greater than 4 weeks in medical school?" I answered no to this. IS this misrepresenting?

4.) I am a carribean grad from SGU, one of the better schools FWIW. Will this be an issue as long as my school can show documentations of my rotations were done at ACGME accredited residencies

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I interviewed for a couple of FM residencies in December and they told us to either double check with your school/program or just include everything. They said that if you didn't include something the fines are pretty hefty ($2000) so its better to be safe and err on the side of caution

Hey Guys,

I am applying for a TExas MEdical License. I am a PGY 3 currently in Illinois. I keep hearing the licensing process is a beast. Why is that? From the outside it looks straight forward. Is it more complicated if you have graduated for a few years and have had jobs?? YES. Every job you have creates a paper trail that will be followed. So the state boards, hospitals, etc. need to verify the employment and that you were in good standing, etc. The more jobs you've had, the longer it takes to verify everything.

I have not been able to log into their LIST service. IS this something that you can sign up for once you pay the fees and finish the initial application. AM i going to get a shock at the amount of supplemental forms there will be? No idea, but someone licensed in TX might.

1.) I took two LOA during my PGY 2 and PGY 3 year for a surgery that resulted in 2 weeks off for post op both times. There is a question that mentions have you ever taken a LOA during training. I mentioned Yes and I will attach the supplemental form. Is this going to be a big deal if the medical condition has resolved.
This should not be a big deal, just state it was medical leave for a now-resolved issue. If you used vacation time, you may not have to report it as an LOA. Just make sure the info you give is consistent with what your residency program will give the medical board.

2.) Before residency and after medical school, I worked at Dunkin DOnuts (rolls eyes), and a lab running flow cytometry just to make some coin. I did not list these jobs on my training and work experience cause it was beyond irrelevant. Will they frown upon that?
Depends on how the question is worded as to whether you need to list it (i.e. ALL jobs vs all medical jobs vs. starting after med school graduation, etc). If it was after your med school graduation date, you are more likely to have to list it, but once again, it depends on the wording of the question.
It should not be frowned upon since it was before residency, and you can always comment that it was to supplement income until residency training started.

3.) During Medical School, I took 6 weeks in between 3 rd and 4th year while studying for my Step 2. It was not necessarily a LOA but I just had that much time due to way my graduation date was. One of the question in the licensing application was "have you ever taken a LOA greater than 4 weeks in medical school?" I answered no to this. IS this misrepresenting?
If it wasn't an official LOA but just how your schedule was at the time, "no" is truthful. If the school does not consider it a LOA, this shouldn't be an issue.

4.) I am a carribean grad one of the better ones FWIW. Will this be an issue as long as my school can show documentations of my rotations were done at ACGME accredited residencies
Just follow the directions as to what documentation is needed.

Hey Guys,

I am applying for a TExas MEdical License. I am a PGY 3 currently in Illinois. I keep hearing the licensing process is a beast. Why is that? From the outside it looks straight forward. Is it more complicated if you have graduated for a few years and have had jobs??

I have not been able to log into their LIST service. IS this something that you can sign up for once you pay the fees and finish the initial application. AM i going to get a shock at the amount of supplemental forms there will be?

4.) I am a carribean grad one of the better ones FWIW. Will this be an issue as long as my school can show documentations of my rotations were done at ACGME accredited residencies

boars can be persnickety about the info they want...and they may ask for the same info in different ways...

that being said, you should either ask the board for clarification or err on the side of caution and disclose that info...all the licensing applications i filed wanted ALL time accounted for from med school graduation on...regardles of how relevant you think that work is...

and regardless of how great you think you are, licensing boards don't really care so long as you meet their requirements...for texas, all your rotations have to be done at specialty-specific ACGME programs (i.e., neurology has to be done where there is a neurology residency, cardiology where there is a cardiology fellowship...not under an IM or FM umbrella)...or you have to be board certified.

I mistyped. I meant to type I am a Carribean Grad from one of the better carribean schools FWIW, not I am a better carribean grad. LOL. How conceited yuck!!

boars can be persnickety about the info they want...and they may ask for the same info in different ways...

that being said, you should either ask the board for clarification or err on the side of caution and disclose that info...all the licensing applications i filed wanted ALL time accounted for from med school graduation on...regardles of how relevant you think that work is...

and regardless of how great you think you are, licensing boards don't really care so long as you meet their requirements...for texas, all your rotations have to be done at specialty-specific ACGME programs (i.e., neurology has to be done where there is a neurology residency, cardiology where there is a cardiology fellowship...not under an IM or FM umbrella)...or you have to be board certified.

I mistyped. I meant to type I am a Carribean Grad from one of the better carribean schools FWIW, not I am a better carribean grad. LOL. How conceited yuck!!

This always amazes me.

Reactions: 1 user
Texas is a genuine PITA to get licensed in. So is Florida and I am sure several other states as well. But, we have personal experience with TX and FL and I can tell you that when my husband got licensed, both states took Six (6) full months to get licensed.

6 months and my husband is a Texan (whose college and medical education was in Texas) and it was his first position out of fellowship.......and even with that easy to verify background and limited previous work experience, it still took that long. Why? I honestly have no idea. If I had to guess, there must be very limited resources at the TMB. Also, I seem to recall that I believe the Board meets to approve pending licensure apps only a few times a year, so a completed file may sit there pending approval for several months.

Remember that you also have to take the jurisprudence exam, a stupid and completely useless step that only adds insult to injury. I would further advise you to keep any and all state licenses current and active your entire career even if you no longer practice in that state, unless it is an undue financial burden or you are absolutely certain you will never practice there again. We spend many hundreds of dollars every year to keep the TX and FL licenses active, even though my husband now practices in another state, because they were such a hassle to get. We occasionally look at practice opportunities in TX, and I can tell you having a current license already in place gives you a definite leg up.

Don't forget that every rotation you did in med school has to be greenbook, including both core rotations AND electives! It means that EVERY rotation has to have had a residency/fellowship (ie. ob/gyn residents in your OB rotation, cardio fellows during your cardiology rotation, etc).
If any weren't then you have to be board certified in order to be licensed in Texas.

Thank You guys for the valuable info. It is definitely a lot more clear to me, than before I started.