Texas Medical Related Summer Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AggieJohn

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

I live in Texas and I am currently a junior. I was wanting to do something medically related (and good looking on a resume) for the summer between my junior and senior year. So far all I have heard about is the Summer Debakey Surgery program at Baylor, although it sounds kind of elite and hard to get into. Anyone know anything else that is going on in Texas? Programs hosted by med schools or something of that nature...

This post seems kind of specific and I wasn't sure if it belonged here, but I couldn't find a better place for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Look into Baylor/Rice MMEP

I turned down Yale and Duke's program for this one.

AggieJohn said:
Howdy,

I live in Texas and I am currently a junior. I was wanting to do something medically related (and good looking on a resume) for the summer between my junior and senior year. So far all I have heard about is the Summer Debakey Surgery program at Baylor, although it sounds kind of elite and hard to get into. Anyone know anything else that is going on in Texas? Programs hosted by med schools or something of that nature...

This post seems kind of specific and I wasn't sure if it belonged here, but I couldn't find a better place for it.

medhacker said:
Look into Baylor/Rice MMEP

I turned down Yale and Duke's program for this one.

I'm assuming that since I'm not a minority I can't do these.

Members don't see this ad :)
AggieJohn said:
I'm assuming that since I'm not a minority I can't do these.

Rice/Baylor MMEP is not only for minorities. In Fact it used to be that not enough minorities applied to it for some reason.

AggieJohn said:
Howdy,

Yeah, dude, I at least I can tell you about the DeBakey Program, which I did this summer. You may think it is elite but there were people from all types of colleges from all over. And I'm telling you, nothing, absolutely nothing, beats the kind of clinical experience you obtain in this program. It blows any other summer program out of the water, and I really mean that. Yeah, you might only get $600 for it. But everything else about this program is awesome: it will at least put your foot in the door if you are looking at BCM for med school.

Its actually called SMEP now, aamc.org/smep . I did Rice/Baylor iin 03. DeBakey program is pretty good from what friends tell me, don't remember their website on top of head but you can google it. There is SMART research program at Baylor, and some others. I highly reccomend SMEP at Rice/Baylor.