Texas medical school students - a call for opinions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

da8s0859q

Hey folks,

If you're an MD student here in TX, I'd like to talk to you about your school. Just general impressions, pros/cons, curriculum, the usual.

If you wouldn't mind donating a wee bit of your time / $.02 to a Texas premed student, please drop me a PM or reply here and tell me where you're currently attending.

I ask because I'll be MCATin' it up in January and applying this coming cycle.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn texas med school and their extra bio requirements. Now I have to fit biochem in somewhere and A&P

Texas schools do not require A&P, and in fact, most will not recognize it as additional biology. It generally fits under the allied health category. As of now, only UTHSCSA requires biochem, but the others are moving towards it.

Texas schools do not require A&P, and in fact, most will not recognize it as additional biology. It generally fits under the allied health category.

Oh hell, say it ain't so. I took 8 hours worth of A&P; yes, it's more for nursing students, but it's also very much biology classes. :(

Hey folks,

If you're an MD student here in TX, I'd like to talk to you about your school. Just general impressions, pros/cons, curriculum, the usual.

If you wouldn't mind donating a wee bit of your time / $.02 to a Texas premed student, please drop me a PM or reply here and tell me where you're currently attending.

I ask because I'll be MCATin' it up in January and applying this coming cycle.

Thanks!

Try looking in the Repulic of Texas threads - I believe any question you could come up with would be answered there. The most recent thread has lots of info about the various schools in it - just the kinds of questions you're asking.

Oh hell, say it ain't so. I took 8 hours worth of A&P; yes, it's more for nursing students, but it's also very much biology classes. :(

Tell me about it, I too took 8 hours, and am now taking physiology because the school I transferred to won't recognize the A&P as biology, and they require physiology for some of the upper-level bio classes that I now may end up not taking. The physiology class is an absolute waste of my time (and money) as it is not nearly as good as my CC A&P classes.

It will, however, hopefully give me a leg up when I start med school in the fall! Any exposure to a topic will help the next time you see it.

The UT schools may not require biochem by name but they require 4 classes of bio vs the general requirement of 2 classes of bio. I figured I might as well make one biochem and A&P seemed like it would be useful but I guess this might not be an option? Any bio course recommendation without lab? I was thinking of maybe taking infectious diseases.

The UT schools may not require biochem by name but they require 4 classes of bio vs the general requirement of 2 classes of bio. I figured I might as well make one biochem and A&P seemed like it would be useful but I guess this might not be an option? Any bio course recommendation without lab? I was thinking of maybe taking infectious diseases.

I have never heard anything about med schools not recognizing A&P courses (listed as 2-level BIOL at my university) as biology before now, but yeah, biochem is certainly one.

Beyond that, how about something like pathophysiology (biomedical sciences listing, 4 hours without lab here) or neurobiology (also BIMS, 3 hours / no lab)? Maybe toxicology (BIMS / 3 hours / no lab)?

Infectious disease sounds cool as hell, too; I'd take it if I could.

I'm going to check with TMDSAS for A&P. Its actually listed under biostats? at my school...

For UTMB - A&P is not recognized as a prereq. Biochem is not required but is strongly, strongly recommened (and they pretty much assume we have all had it). Microbiology or Immunology or Neuroscience classes would be of benefit.. but take whatever you want to because its the last time you have the choice :)

If you have any specific questions about UTMB, feel free to PM me.

Genetics is also a recommended biology course.