Texas Medical Schools Stats & Info (GPA, MCAT, Interview, Acceptance, Etc)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InsertMemberNameHere

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here are some admission statistics and information about the TMDSAS 2013 application cycle.

TMDSAS Stats (No Baylor):
-Total verified in-state (TX) Applicants: 3,608
-Total in-state (TX) Matriculants: 1,461
-Average Chance Acceptance (TX Resident Applicants): 40.49%

-Total verified out of state Applicants: 1,204
-Total out-of-state Matriculants: 125
-Average Change Acceptance (out-of-state Applicants): 10.38%

TMDSAS Stats: https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report- EY13 - Medical.pdf

https://www.tmdsas.com/medical/application-statistics.html

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
baylor and utsouthwestern for the win!

It's not like there is AP OChem or Biochem

I like how 10% of class have straight 4.0 GPAs

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a resident of Texas and plan on applying to all of these schools. Hopefully a 3.7-3.9 GPA in Computer Engineering degree, good MCAT scores, and volunteer/shadowing will place me in one of these programs above. :)

Where did you get this info? And thanks for the post.

I'm a resident of Texas and plan on applying to all of these schools. Hopefully a 3.7-3.9 GPA in Computer Engineering degree, good MCAT scores, and volunteer/shadowing will place me in one of these programs above. :)

Obviously UTD.

UT Rio Grande Valley will accept applications to their med school next cycle with the first class matriculating 2016! Also I don't see UNT on the list.

*edit, you posted MD, my bad.

Last edited:
So I wanted to make a similar table for Florida

Do you still have the website that you posted that showed the MSAR numbers for either 2013 or 2014, but you said it might not be reliable?

Do you still have the website that you posted that showed the MSAR numbers for either 2013 or 2014, but you said it might not be reliable?

I'm not sure what website you are referring to.

I would only look at MSAR or individual school's website

Here are some statistics and information about the 8 Texas Medical Schools (MD programs) from the 2013 admissions cycle.

-The cGPA and MCAT statistics describe only the matriculants (accepted), not the applicants.
-The 10%-90% cGPA and MCAT ranges indicate the 10th to 90th percentile range of all matriculants (accepted).
-The interview and acceptance statistics describe only in-state TX applicants (not out of state).

x6kfeq.jpg

Quick Notes from the 2013 Admissions Cycle (All 8 Schools):
-Average Median GPA (Matriculants): 3.8125
-Average Median MCAT (Matriculants): 32.35
-Average Matriculant LizzyM Score (GPA x 10 + MCAT): 70.5

-Total verified in-state (TX) Applicants: 23,259
-Total in-state (TX) Interviews: 5,693
-Total in-state (TX) Matriculants: 1,371

-Average Chance Interview (TX Resident Applicants only): 24.48%
-Average Chance Acceptance (TX Resident Applicants only): 5.89%

Wait…there were ~23,000 IN-STATE TX applicants total and only 1371 were accepted?! How is that possible? I thought TX had a ~36% acceptance rate…that's like 5%! Are you sure the total applicant number you posted doesn't include out-of-state as well?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait…there were ~23,000 IN-STATE TX applicants total and only 1371 were accepted?! How is that possible? I thought TX had a ~36% acceptance rate…that's like 5%! Are you sure the total applicant number you posted doesn't include out-of-state as well?

The OP made a small mistake. MSAR reports number of students who matriculated at each school; not number of acceptances given. There are apparently 1371 spots total at TX schools. There can't be 20,000 applicants either, maybe it's the total number of applications (e.g one student applying to 8 schools).

Reactions: 1 user
Correct me if I'm wrong...isn't Texas opening up a few new med schools in the next few years? I know of one for sure (UT Rio Grande).

Dell Medical School at UT Austin as well.

http://www.lcme.org/directory.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of the list,

The two pre-accredited Texas schools are:
Dell Medical School at The University of Texas
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley School of Medicine

The OP made a small mistake. MSAR reports number of students who matriculated at each school; not number of acceptances given. There are apparently 1371 spots total at TX schools. There can't be 20,000 applicants either, maybe it's the total number of applications (e.g one student applying to 8 schools).

I can has math? My mistake. I fixed it. I mistakenly added all of the applicants from all of the Texas schools together. That won't work because the average TMDSAS applicant applies to almost all of the Texas schools, or at least most of them, so I was getting a lot of overlap. My bad!

So yes, the success rate of Texas residents applying via TMDSAS to get into at least one medical school is actually around 40.49%. Out-of state is 10.38%. In case anyone did not know, the public Texas schools must accept at least 90% in-state residents, so there is a big in-state advantage. Though, admittedly, the 10.38% for out-of-state applicants is not that bad when you compare it to other state schools across the country.

It's in the OP, but here is the link to more TMDSAS info from the 2013 cycle: https://www.tmdsas.com/Final Statistics Report- EY13 - Medical.pdf

So yes, the success rate of Texas residents applying via TMDSAS to get into at least one medical school is actually around 40.49%. Out-of state is 10.38%. In case anyone did not know, the public Texas schools must accept at least 90% in-state residents, so there is a big in-state advantage. Though, admittedly, the 10.38% for out-of-state applicants is not that bad when you compare it to other state schools across the country.

And the numbers will even go up when those 2 new schools open. Good times being a pre-med in Texas

And the numbers will even go up when those 2 new schools open. Good times being a pre-med in Texas

Indeed. Everything is bigger in Texas, right?

The state is under a lot of strain right now. Texas needs a lot more doctors. It's the fastest growing state behind North Dakota. There is a big push to get more physicians, particularly primary care, working in the state, so that's a big reason why there are even more medical schools popping up.

Also, the Texas flagship schools, particularly the University of Texas and A&M, have a ton of money. Those two school systems have the 3rd and 7th largest endowments, respectively, out of all of the colleges in the United States. So, there is a big demand and lots of money to go around.

Its amazing how the stats for all the schools are pretty good and not suffering due to a larger number of spots to be filled, hopefully that can stay the same way when the new schools open

Its amazing how the stats for all the schools are pretty good and not suffering due to a larger number of spots to be filled, hopefully that can stay the same way when the new schools open

We all know there are not enough spots for all the qualified applicants. Numbers don't always tell the whole story. As Goro frequently mentions here, 4.0 robots are common.

This is a reminder that part of SDN's Terms of Service is to respect copyrighted material. While much of the data in the MSAR is publicly obtainable from other sources, it is a copyright violation to publicly share data obtained directly from MSAR.

Members are welcome to share data they have compiled from public sources, but please refrain from sharing copyrighted material on SDN.

MS resident with a 3.62 cGPA and 3.42 sGPA strong upward trend. 30 MCAT. Do I stand a chance (don't have an MSAR quite yet.)

Man these stats all seem so high :(

Why am I not able to open the PDF OP posted? Is anyone else having the same problem?