Dec 20, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
I am a sophomore right now and am a Texas resident. What do you guys think my chances are for getting into a Texas medical school if I ended my junior year with a 3.6 GPA and a 32 MCAT?

DokterMom

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
Mar 1, 2013
Status
Non-Student
Those are competitive numbers, assuming your ECs are sufficient.

Sassafrass23

The strangest things seem suddenly routine.
5+ Year Member
Oct 3, 2012
Tejas
Status
Medical Student
How are your ECs? Your numbers are okay for most Texas schools, applying early is always good.

OP
N
Dec 20, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
100 hours of volunteer for a hospital/hospice
100 hours in research for a lab
50 hours of volunteer for Austin pets alive
member of american medical student association since freshman year
pharmacy technician license
part of the committee of the new Dell medical school coming to Austin ( provides student input )

Jun 12, 2012
California
Status
Optometry Student
Those numbers should get you 3-4 interviews in Texas (I have a 3.7/32 and got 3; my friend has a 3.7/31 and got 4, but she has years and years of research).

Edit: Not including TCOM in the list.

TwinsFan

7+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Your chances would be pretty similar to what the AAMC publishes nationally. Those stats and ECs combined with some shadowing and good essays should net a few IIs. Also get some shadowing and community service in, as it is a service career.

I would try to get the gpa up to a 3.7 or better and counting on a 32 is silly as this is a very difficult score for most to get. There is no guarantee in medical admissions so go all out and build an app good enough for top schools. If you fall short then it will probably still garner some school's attention to give you a shot.

Good luck :luck:

OP
N
Dec 20, 2012
Status
Pre-Medical
What would be examples of community service? I mean I volunteer at a local pet shelter.

BlueLabel

5+ Year Member
May 6, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student
What would be examples of community service? I mean I volunteer at a local pet shelter.
It just means volunteering. However, your hospital/hospice volunteering would double as a clinical experience, so that's two birds with one stone.

lovemango

Wreck 'Em
7+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2012
Texas
Status
Medical Student