MD Texas medical schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNPham

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore right now and am a Texas resident. What do you guys think my chances are for getting into a Texas medical school if I ended my junior year with a 3.6 GPA and a 32 MCAT?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are competitive numbers, assuming your ECs are sufficient.

How are your ECs? Your numbers are okay for most Texas schools, applying early is always good.

Members don't see this ad :)
100 hours of volunteer for a hospital/hospice
100 hours in research for a lab
50 hours of volunteer for Austin pets alive
member of american medical student association since freshman year
pharmacy technician license
part of the committee of the new Dell medical school coming to Austin ( provides student input )

Those numbers should get you 3-4 interviews in Texas (I have a 3.7/32 and got 3; my friend has a 3.7/31 and got 4, but she has years and years of research).

Edit: Not including TCOM in the list.

Your chances would be pretty similar to what the AAMC publishes nationally. Those stats and ECs combined with some shadowing and good essays should net a few IIs. Also get some shadowing and community service in, as it is a service career.

I would try to get the gpa up to a 3.7 or better and counting on a 32 is silly as this is a very difficult score for most to get. There is no guarantee in medical admissions so go all out and build an app good enough for top schools. If you fall short then it will probably still garner some school's attention to give you a shot.

Good luck :luck:

What would be examples of community service? I mean I volunteer at a local pet shelter.

What would be examples of community service? I mean I volunteer at a local pet shelter.
It just means volunteering. However, your hospital/hospice volunteering would double as a clinical experience, so that's two birds with one stone.