Texas Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rjhtamu

Stargazer Royale
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm an undergrad student in Texas right now, and more than likely I will be applying to Texas med schools in a year. There are several threads here that mention which med schools people have applied to, and what was the result of their applications. Harvard, Yale, Emory and Hopkins are among many of the more frequently mentioned, but I haven't seen hardly any that have applied to Texas schools. Do people just not want to come to school here in Texas? What are some of the reasons people aren't applying here? Texas has really good schools, such as Baylor and Southwestern.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it's probably just because they'd feel inferior coming to TX.
wink.gif
Seriously, though, here's what I would say is the #1 reason. All Texas public med schools are required by the state to accept 90% Texans. Even Baylor (which is now sort of a state-subsidized private) takes around 75% in-staters. Unless you have a compelling reason to want to live in the Great State of Texas (besides the obvious), it's sort of a waste of money to apply to the UT schools and TAMU. Sort of similar to the situation with out-of-staters at the UC schools, though not as competitive. I, coincidentally, will be going to UTMB this fall, along with a few of my fellow posters here at SDN.

Congratulations on UTMB! I too am looking at the UT schools right now. I've toured and been very impressed with Southwestern, and I'm also considering San Antonio as well, along with all of the other schools as well that would accept me
smile.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with the last poster. Out-of-staters tend to shy away from TX schools because they take 90% Texans, and it is very competitive for the other 10%.

rjhtamu, all the TX schools are great and have their own personality. You will see once you start interviewing. And you cannot beat the price! I will be starting at San Antonio in the fall and can give you any info you need. (I am from SA originally).

As an out of stater at UT-houston I have to respectfully disagree with the above statements. While it is true that most of the schools can only accept 10% out of state residents, not that many apply.

I got into Ut-houston, my second choice, and waitlisted at southwestern. Southwestern and Baylor are the only ones that actually accept the full number allowed.

If a person has solid scores (30 or above) there is no reason not to apply. Besides compared to AMCAS schools applying to Texas schools is cheap. I also applied to my state school, got an interview and was rejected. I applied to the four UT school and Baylor. Baylor was the only one I didn't get an interview at.

Howdy rjhtamu --

Glad to see another Aggie found this site! I'm getting ready to graduate from A&M in May, and I applied to most of the in-state schools this previous year. I think another reason (besides the 90% in-state requirement) that you don't see much discussion of the Texas med schools on this site is because of the match system. After you complete your interviews, you rank all the schools according to your preferences. Then, on January 15th, you are notified which school you were accepted to. Therefore, people in Texas usually do not hold multiple acceptances as do many out-of-staters, so people on this site don't post questions like, "Which is better, UTMB or UT-San Antonio?" The exception is Baylor, which does not participate in the Texas match. As a result, it is possible for an applicant to hold two acceptances in Texas, one at Baylor and one at another.

One more thing, since you are from A&M, you have a great resource in OPSA. Use them! Dr. Blum and Karen are wonderful resources for students applying to med school. And let me know if you have any other questions.

I'd have to say that just about everybody's right here. First, Tx schools only accept up to 10% out of staters, second, the tuition for out-of-state is VERY high (I got my UTMB info and its like 7,500 vs 20,500 ish). Third, Texas schools are generally not ranked (except SWern and Baylor), so they arent "prestigious" enough to get mentioned on a lot of bbs's. Fourth, you really need to like Texas and its heat and lack of seasons to live there for 4 years (I LOVE the 2 month winter and lack of snow at home, all the NYers at my college think Im loony tunes). Fifth, the match system does make the questions less prominent (until around Dec 16th! - also, btw, we found out on Jan 12th this year, b/c the 15th was MLK day). And last, but definitely not least, they've got to be intimidated ... for as we all know, everything's bigger and better in Texas! *wink*

smiles,
Star

[This message has been edited by Starflyr (edited April 23, 2001).]

Hey Star, I think the following sums it up pretty well..

"I wake up every morning and I'm thankful for two things. I'm thankful I'm alive, and I'm thankful I'm a Texan." -- Colby, Survivor: The Australian Outback

Since Star brought it up, what does everyone think of the so-called *prestige* issue? I mean, I like UTMB alot, but now I hear all of these negative comments (where were these people before?) and I wonder if it might actually be a detriment to come from a less-highly regarded place. So what do y'all think?

I applied to 4 UT- schools and Baylor, rejected by all(out-of-stater). I even attented the SMART program at Baylor where I got to work with the associate dean of admissions who told me I had a good chance of getting in. I guess he meant somewhere else besides Baylor.

rj - definitely!

Ringo - I think that the "prestige" factor is about equivalent to the "prestige" factor anywhere else in the US - no, we arent going to Hopkins or and Ivy - but yanno what? neither are most of the students at the 125+ med schools in the country. I doubt name will matter that much. ANd if you live/practice in Tx, it really wont matter at ALL - people have heard of UTMB and know it's good training. As for the people who are trashing it 1) they are generally gunner-types who dont get the attitude of Galveston in general and 2) are probably jealous b/c they didnt get in anywhere in Tx and now have to pay out-of-state tuition! *wink*

smiles,
Star

Hello acceptees. I'm on a few waitlists (UTMB, Tech, TAMU) and I am hoping one of the schools comes through. Anyway, I thought of commenting on the prestige issue. I have a friend doing a residency at Bellevue Hospital through NYU. When I contacted him in Dec, just before submitting my ranked list to Austin, he told me that UTMB was well-regarded up there. I also heard the negative comments about UTMB but what helped me realize what a great school UTMB is was talking to non-premeds such as my friend, my academic advisor, etc. I think we trap ourselves in a cul-de-sac by using only the opinions of a group of people who are not looking past numbers (and I suppose many of us go through that). Besides, I think the prestige factor will dwindle to nothingness once we are in med school and getting on with the business of becoming doctors.

Ringo:
I agree with Starflyr. I know I'm biased since I'm going to UTMB this fall, but remember this: it's better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be a small fish in a big pond. For example, Southwestern certainly felt like a big pond to me, and some of the people there a little intimidating. I think it will be much easier to get AOA at UTMB than Southwestern. (If you care about things like that
smile.gif
.) See y'all in June!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, everyone seems to have hit the nail on the head. I'll be going to Baylor in the fall, and there they have about 70% out of state, so it really is the exception. They're also really good aboult giving the out-of-staters in state resident if they buy a condo after a year.

70% out-of-state? I doubt it. Check your numbers.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by suzyc:
Yeah, everyone seems to have hit the nail on the head. I'll be going to Baylor in the fall, and there they have about 70% out of state, so it really is the exception. They're also really good aboult giving the out-of-staters in state resident if they buy a condo after a year.

Yeah, I think it's more like 70% in-state. Definitely not 70% out.

So, I guess for the benefit of the OP, since she's still in premed, but also to satisfy my own curiousity, why did y'all choose the schools you did? I guess I just liked UTMB most overall. I was happy with their curriculum, the people seemed very friendly, I liked the campus, and I liked their option to go to Austin for MS3. Is anyone unhappy with the school they picked?

[This message has been edited by ringo643 (edited April 25, 2001).]

Whoops, you're right. Sorry, I meant 70% in state. The rule is that they have to let in 70% in state, although they usually have around 72-80% in state.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by suzyc:

I was under the impression that under the Texas state regulations, you have to live and work in the state of Texas for an entire year WITHOUT GOING TO SCHOOL in order to be considered a Texas resident. In other words, even if you bought 5 condos, and lived there for 4 years, you are STILL NOT a legal resident of the state unless you were to drop out of school for one year while doing all this.

Is Baylor med not using the legal definition of state residency for their policy? Or is there an exception in the state regulations for medical students?

Any clarification on this issue?

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

[This message has been edited by baylor21 (edited April 25, 2001).]

baylor21,

At baylor they do tell out-of-staters that if they buy a condo they can get in state tuition after one year. I talked to several students there who did just that. I guess you just have to own property, not necessarily working, for a year to be a resident. Must be a loophole...

Medigirl,

I'm pretty sure the state regulation that I cited is accurate, and I dont doubt that Baylor does say that to prospective med students.

My guess is that Baylor med doesnt actually use the legal definition of residency in their policy. After all, its up to their discretion as to who pays in state tuition. If they wanted to, they could say that you can pay in state tuition if you get a 38 on the MCAT. The state sets the official regulations on residency, and I dont think your residency status officially changes until you get to residency (when you are considered to actually be working).

My point is that I doubt Baylor changes your residency status, but they do change the tuition you have to pay if you do buy the condo. I doubt the other Texas MD programs (public) are allowed to do this.

Thats definitely a perk to getting into Baylor as opposed to UTSW for out of staters.

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

I heard that if your name is Abu or Habib and buy a gas station, then you will qualify for in-state tuition your first year without having lived there a year. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

I heard that UTMB (galveston) is by far the ****tiest school in Texas. The one where all the rejects go. Someone from UT Dallas told me that.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by josejalapeno:
I heard that UTMB (galveston) is by far the ****tiest school in Texas. The one where all the rejects go. Someone from UT Dallas told me that.

Yes, only rejects go to UTMB. No one who is worthy of being a doctor would dare set foot on the Galveston campus. Everyone knows that.

That said, I will be going to UTMB next fall, and I must say that attitudes such as the one expressed in the above statement remind me why I chose UTMB over Southwestern. I hope that people can begin to realize that one's worth as a person and one's potential to be a good practitioner do NOT stem directly from a high undergrad GPA and high MCATs. Please, all those who are going through applications - don't let attitudes like these mess with your mind. Take them for what they are worth, but in the end, you're going to have to live and work and study (and maybe once in a while party) with these people and at this place for the next four years. If you're not happy, it can be a pretty miserable four years. UTSW is a fantastic school - I liked it very much on my interview. But it's not for everyone, and part of the reason for that is because there are people there (not ALL of them, nor even most) who continue to base their feeling of self-worth on their grades and academic acheivements. We call these folks 'gunners,' and while there are some at every school, there are certain places where the attitude seems more prevalent. By no means are all students at UTSW like this, but I got the sense that there are more there than there are at UTMB, for example. There's more to life than that, and medicine is more than an academic/scientific practice. I just wanted to make sure that the uninitiated are aware of these things before they interview. I'll get down off of my soapbox now.

[This message has been edited by ringo643 (edited April 25, 2001).]

Baylor does tell their students. I had a friend stay with me from indiana that interviewed at baylor. They told her if you buy a condo and live there for a certain amount of time you get in state tuition.

I am pretty sure this changes your residency status.

Regarding UTSW, they have an even better deal. If you are given an academic scholarship of 1000 you automatically qualify for in-state tuition. This I know for sure because at my interview they had the out of state res. come down for a minute and they told us this bit of info. My friend from indiana got offered a scholarship to UTMB which made her eligible for in-state. The state law specifically addresses this situation.

Unfortunately, UT-H isn't offering scholarships like this, which sucks for me. Another out of state check on the whole buy a condo thing and the office said that you could buy a condo but it wouldn't quarantee you in state tuition.

Well, I did some research and found out that this issue is MUCH more murky than I thought.

It turns out the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board sets guidelines for Texas residency but that any instituition of higher learning in Texas is free to use or not use those guidelines, or to implement them however they see fit.

It bestows the authority to grant residency status on 'officials and administrators of the institution.' In other words, it is solely the administrators of where you go to school who choose whether you are considered to be a resident or not. I guess Baylor says 'yes' as long you buy a house while in med school.

Theoretically, you could even become a resident of Texas while going to the other Texas MD schools also. However, it is my understanding that the officials of those schools are MUCH less likely to give out residency status as freely as Baylor does.

Has anybody been granted Texas residency while going to a Texas MD program other than Baylor?

For those of you nonstaters going to Tex MD schools (other than Baylor) you might want to plead your case to the officials up there.

If they tell you that its not up to them, then they need to reread the guidelines because clearly the THECB says they have the power to grant you residency status if they so desire. But I would guess most of them see too many $$$ signs to do that.

------------------

[This message has been edited by baylor21 (edited April 25, 2001).]

baylor 21,

A member of my family goes to UTSW and she applied from out of state. Rather than giving her in-state status, UTSW just makes her pay the equivalent of in-state tuition while the school (scholarships) pays the rest. She said she did not even apply for the scholarships, they were just offered to her when she got accepted. I think this is the case for many out-of-staters there.

medigirl,

If that is the situation for alot of out of staters at UTSW, I dont understand why they even have a stated difference between in state and out of state tuition.

Do you know how they decide the matter? My guess is that UTSW picks the most outstanding out of staters who apply and offers them instate tuition as a scholarship package (just as you have stated). Since UTSW is a top notch school, only the most outstanding out of staters usually get in there, so that makes some sense that they might receive this scholarship. But surely there must be some out of staters at UTSW that pay the out of state tuition.

What about the other public MD programs? Are they generous about giving in state tuition to nonresidents or even changing the residency of an out of state accepted student?

------------------

baylor21,

I don't know how SWern decides who gets $, but it probably has to do with grades. My family member who got the deal had a 3.93 (state school) and a 33 MCAT. She also had tons of extracurriculars. Another girl I met that also got in-state equivalent tuition went to Middlebury and had pretty stellar grades. Neither girl is of minority ethnicity, so i do not think that is a factor. Hope this helps!

Here's a few of the reasons I chose UT Southwestern.

1. The people are really nice and down to Earth. . .don't listen to the folks that say SW is cut throat, etc. its not true.

2. Its the only medical school in the world with four Nobel laureates (and yes, they do teach)

3. They give you a nice summer stipend to do research.

4. Lots of resources, money, facilities.

5. An almost unheard of amount of clinical experience. From what I understand, as a med student at SW you will do things that most folks don't do untill residency.

6. M+M talks. . .every time the assistant deans for student affairs come to talk with the students, they throw tons of M+M packages to you.

7. They always have some kind of free food.

8. The average med student delivers like twenty babies.

9. Each student gets his/her on study carrel.

10. The school has a great personality, and everyone seems to have a sense of humor.\

Did I mention the free food?

[This message has been edited by kahlil78 (edited April 27, 2001).]

Hey, looks like the review.com crew got up and relocated over here! Good to see you all again!

Kahlil, I second your opinion on UTSW. I think it is one of the coolest schools to attend. Dr. Waller and Dr. Wagoner visited our school and they were pretty nice folks (they didn't shower us with M&Ms though). I also know some people who go there and they really like it too. Sure there are more gunners then normal, but you should have thick enough skin to ignore them. The awesome clinical experience does more than enough to overshadow the few a-hole gunner types.
smile.gif

Hey, Chucky! It's Joy. Are you going to TCOM, or did you get off a waitlist at one of the other schools? Did you go to the Spring Fling Mar 30 at TCOM?

I visited the Royal College of Surgeons in Dublin and I decided I'd rather go to TCOM. Right now I'm just waiting to hear from one other school that I just interviewed with a couple of weeks ago. I will probably be waitlisted because it is so late in the year, but that's OK with me. I'd be perfectly happy to go to TCOM.

What's going on with you? I hope everything is going well.

I ranked UTMB first for a couple of reasons, but I have to say it was a really hard decision. After every interview, I knew that was the school for me.

I ended up with UTMB because:

* I liked the curriculum...alot.
* It was reasonably close to family and friends.
* I THOUGHT the cost of living was low (oops, buying a house on an island isn't a cheap endeavor).
* I liked the island attitude.
* I loved the campus.
* it has a great reputation among praciting physicians I spoke with.
* my medical director (I'm a paramedic) went there and highly recommended it.
* I enjoyed the interview.

and probably most important: I've totally forgotten what living in 99% humidity is like and I haven't lived through a hurricane in over a decade! :)

I've noticed that there are several of us going to UTMB next year. Are any of y'all doing the summer program?

Take care,
Jeff

HI Jeff :)

I chose UTMB for most of the same reasons - and houses may be expensive, but the available apartments and condos are NICE - I have a friend living in a TINY studio in chicago for 800 a month, and Im living 5 minutes from school in a 2 bedroom/2 bath condo for ~$600. Whew! :) (gotta have room for my fiance and his daughter). ANyways. Im definitely doing the summer program - but one of my friends is getting married June 2nd in Ft. Worth, so it's gonna be an early morning drive to get there in time for orientation! :)

smiles,
Star

I'll be doing the summer program, too. For those of us who are single, the frats in Galveston are another housing option. I realize there are quite a few downsides to the whole thing, but I don't know if I can pass up the price - $300/mo, all utilities paid, DSL connection, free parking next door the med center, and 9 meals/wk! So, I'm considering that, at least for the first year (I've already got enough taken out in undergrad loans, thanks very much!)
Jeff - you going to the summer program?

Hi Joy,

Yep, I went to spring fling. Met some interesting folks and everyone was wonderful, but I don't remember meeting an Occupational Therapist :) !! In any event, glad to see you have chosen to stay in the states--Good Call. I think being an IMG would be a mistake now that legislation against them is inevitable in the near future. What other school did you get an interview at? I guess I'll wait for orientation to meet you. What does the "C" in "CJW" stand for so I can look for you in orientation?

Hi Chucky! The "C" in "CJW" is for Collin.(My middle name is Joy.) Did you play volleyball at Spring Fling? I attempted to. :) ha ha.
I am still waiting on Wright State here in Ohio where my boyfriend lives. I will probably know something in a couple of weeks, but it will most likely be waitlist. The interview went OK, but the class is already filled.
Where do you live in Texas and when are you moving to Ft. Worth? I will probably be coming back to Texas at the end of May. I was planning to live with my grandpa in Irving the first year, but I don't know- it's about a 40 minute drive.
I will definitely look for you at orientation July 30th. Our class is going to be really great. I am so excited to start med school! Take care and keep in touch.

Hey Jeff:
Yeah, I'm going to UTMB too, and the summer program. I CAN'T wait to quit my job (June 1st) and head down their. See you there!!

I have to say this has been the most delightful post I've read in a looooong time! Not that I've been here in a while, but anyways, I had just moved to Texas a few months ago (Arlington, in the DFW area) and it turns out that I like it here a *lot*. I was only planning on staying with friends for a while, but going back to NC...? I dunno. :)

In any case, I was wondering what my prospects for continuing my medical education in Texas would turn out, and I was just thinking of that today when I came across this thread. Thanks to everyone for posting as I've learned *quite* a lot of very useful info about Texas and medical education here. I'm still in undergrad, so yes, I'll have to wait that year before going back to university, but by the time I apply for medical school I'll have been a full-blown resident for a few years. I think it's great that there's finally a state that accepts such a huge number of in-state applicants!

Again, thanks to all for everything!

Here is why I chose San Antonio...
1. location
2. curriculum
3. students there are SO happy
4. facilities
5. I have family there

Before interviews, I was sure I would put UTSW 1st on the rank, but was not as impressed with it as I anticipated. Same with Baylor.

For all of you going to UTMB, great choice! I got a great feeling from the students there and think Galveston is beautiful.