1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Texas Medical Schools...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by closer23, Dec 29, 2008.

1. closer23

closer23 Liberal
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

#1 closer23, Dec 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    What exactly is your question, I think you answered it yourself lol.

Texas schools are separate from the rest, and yes, take mostly in state students and so if you are a resident you have a significantly higher chance of going to one of them... the MSAR is prob the best place to get these stats and I am sure you could find out what each schools stats are by looking at each school via search.

Also I should add, that you should apply broadly and that nothing is certain (unless you post your stats for us to hyperanalyze, heh). Def apply AMCAS to other places too. You shouldn't rely on just the few in state schools.

4. closer23

closer23 Liberal
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

#3 closer23, Dec 29, 2008
  5. rama kandra

5+ Year Member

There are prob a dozen different ways to look at it to be truthful.

You mean to ask how much your chances are vs going AMCAS schools? How about for your stats in specific? There is no real answer to how much of an advantage you get, there isnt a number involved unless you specify what you are trying to find out.

6. myKuduSlewaZulu

myKuduSlewaZulu Kiss my 6 glutes Ike
    7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Other Health Professions Student
  7. closer23

closer23 Liberal
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

#6 closer23, Dec 29, 2008
  8. closer23

closer23 Liberal
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student

#7 closer23, Dec 29, 2008
  9. rama kandra

5+ Year Member

First bit of advice, AMCAS is a hundred + schools. You should and prob need to apply to them regardless. There is a better chance you will get into a state school in your home state than getting into a state school out of state. That said, there is little you can determine about private schools.

Get the MSAR, look at some stats. I think that Texas has some great medical schools and they are all competitive as any other school in the AMCAS bunch. One being harder to get into than the other is prob a useless thing to wonder about since you would apply to all of em (texas I mean), right?

Good luck.

10. DrSno

Removed

Texas has a few schools (Texas A&M, Texas Tech, possibly UTHSCSA) that have lower than average stats, and therefore are a little less competitive than most of the AMCAS schools. The schools I listed will commonly take people with MCATs in the 24-26 range.

11. charlie08

Pre-Medical
  12. potato head

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i have no numbers to back this, but i think all texas state schools are rather generous to out-of-staters. as far as the board goes, there are at least a couple people i can name on this board who have acceptances to texas schools this cycle, but have yet to hear from their own state schools (*cough cali*).

13. AggieSean

AggieSean Coffee is for closers
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can't speak for Tech or San Antonio, but A&M's stats this last year were an average GPA of 3.7 and an average MCAT of 31.

14. DrSno

Removed

On the sheet they gave us at the interview it has the average MCAT of matriculants for the 2008 class as 29.7, and I believe the national average is 32. You're right about the GPA; it says 3.67. My posting was not meant to be rude about any of the schools, just that we have a few here that borderline applicants might have more luck with.

15. AggieSean

AggieSean Coffee is for closers
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Oh, I didn't take it as rude. :) No worries.

And Filo sent us this in an e-mail before school started. The numbers are a bit different than I quoted, I must have remembered incorrectly:

"Your class is currently at 143 (including 6 MD/PhD students) and is distinguished by a mean overall GPA of 3.69 and 30-Q MCAT."

Maybe some wait-list acceptances changed this. Nonetheless, these numbers are average for Texas, not below-average. Just wanted to clear that up. There seem to be misconceptions about A&M, which is understandable.

16. JackInTheBox

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think that's necessarily true. Texas state law requires 90% of the seats to be reserved for Texas residents.

On the other hand, that rule coupled with the fact that TMDSAS is separate from AMCAS and looks like it was programmed by an 8th grader in 1995 drastically cuts down on the number of non-Texans who apply to Texas schools, giving OOS students with strong apps a better chance of being noticed.

In the end, I think if someone has decent stats, they might as well try their luck in Texas. You can apply to a half-dozen schools for less than one AMCAS school.

17. CourageKid

CourageKid Don't mind me
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    So true! The TMDSAS app is just frustratingly different enough from AMCAS that you want to want to throw your computer out the window if you try to work on the two in succession.

18. potato head

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    you might have a point ;)

but yeah, from what i've seen over the years, OOS applicants seem to get a rather healthy share of consideration. i just imagine not many OOS-ers are applying.

19. justdoit31

5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I think the OOS-er applying who get the consideration you mentioned are those with very high stats or connections to Texas...

I got into Tech with a 27 and around a 3.7 GPA but I also grew up in the area and would love to stay in the area if I choose primary care (still not 100% decided)

The information booklet that Tech gave us at interview says the average GPA was 3.65 and the average MCAT was 30.6 (this data was from entering class 2007)

20. cast128

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes....very OOS friendly. I got 4 Texas interviews (A&M, UTMB, Texas Tech, and UTSA) this cycle with average MCAT (30) and a decent GPA (3.88).