Texas medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KrazyKid

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What does everyone know of Texas medical school other than they're not too AMCAS affiliated...??

Members don't see this ad.

I know that if you are not a Texas resident they are incredibly hard to get into! Baylor may be an exception to this, but it is hard to get into anyway.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by KrazyKid:
•What does everyone know of Texas medical school other than they're not too AMCAS affiliated...??•••••Could you be more specific? I'm a first year at UTMB in Galveston and would be happy to answer any less-general questions you may have.

If you're wanting to know how you apply, Texas has its own AMCAS-like system called TMDSAS. I've long ago forgotten what that stands for, but it is a common application system that includes a match process much like what is done for residency. For more information, take a look at <a href="http://dpweb1.dp.utexas.edu/mdac/homepage.htm" target="_blank">http://dpweb1.dp.utexas.edu/mdac/homepage.htm</a>

Take care,
Jeff

Members don't see this ad :)
I second Jeff's suggestion about the TMDSAS website. It will give you the best information.
Texas schools (aside from Baylor) must accept 90% Texas residents -that is why it is very difficult to get in if you are from out-of-state. The application process mirrors AMCAS, but all interviews are finished by mid-December, then applicants and schools "rank" each other and a match is done via computer. So,you cannot have acceptances to more than one school (well, 2 if you get off a waitlist at a school you ranked higher, but you can only hold those 2 for 2 weeks).

Star

p.s. Jeff...how often do you patrol the boards for Tx posts??? Good lord! LOL

Jeff, I was wondering if you could explain the GPA calculation system for the TMDSAS. If I took summer courses outside of my home college, will it still be factored into the GPA like the AMCAAS or do they just look at additional transcripts.
Also, do you think it would be beneficial in terms of admission if I did a summer research fellowship at one of the UT schools, instead of doing it somewhere outside Texas.
Thanks!

TMDSAS will calculate everything you have taken into the GPA. The applicant's profile page (everybody who applies gets one) will then be broken down into science, non-science, and total sections for the schools to get a look at. In fact, they are even further divided into Freshman, Soph. etc. GPAs.

As for research, the call is yours. I know that research has helped some, but not all. If you want to 'get your foot in the door,' what better place than where you want to go in the first place. It couldn't hurt to try. Do your best, schmooze (sp?), and make a good impression.

Good luck! :wink:

I've realized from the Texas's acceptance list this year and in the past, that over 40% of the students attended universities in Texas itself. Do ppl who attend universities outside Texas have a harder time getting in?
Also, is it true that admission into texas medical schools is easier than other state schools?

It doesn't matter where you go to school especially if you are a Texas Resident.

Lost,

I agree with him, I don't think it matters if you went to school outside of Texas so long as you are a resident. It is NOT EASIER to get in, its just that there are ~1200 (don't slam me if the number is a little off) first year slots. I believe that number is higher here than anywhere else. Plus, the offers must go to 90% Texas residents, by law. People may think its easier to get in because more people get in here than in most states. Hope this helps. Hope I didn't just confuse you more. :confused:

Good day
:)

Lost -

There's a wierd thing about Texas - people who live here tend to stay here. That does greatly influence university choice (not to mention its cheaper!) Over half my high school class went to UT plan 2. So...yes, 40% of people who get in go to college in Tx, but I bet that that percentage is fairly proportional to the # of people who apply who go to Tx universities (guessing). THe advantage doesnt come from where you go to school, it comes from your residency status.

As for GPA, unless they've change it, an A is 4.0, A- is 3.7, etc. A+ doesnt count for anything. And yes, they will figure in ALL classes taken for college credit.

Research is good. I think the only perk for doing it in Texas is that you might get to know some "key" people on the adcom before they have to consider your application (yes, contacts DO matter...)

good luck everybody,
Star

•••quote:•••Originally posted by lost:

Regarding texas residency, my friend told me that the interviewer gave him a hard time because he wasn't a native Texan...just a recent transplant. I guess he was doubtful about his intentions and motivation to practice in Texas.
What do u guys think? Do they really look into how long you've been living in Texas?•••••Yes I got that too. I'm surprised considering he graduate from med school at Creighton in my home state. he never asked meif I would like to stay in the state of Texas just why I was applying at some midwestern state schools (maybe because I have a chance there unlike this 10% thing Texas has). It's no surprised I got rejected.

Compared to other public state schools, I think acceptance is EASIER for nonstate residents at the Texas schools.

The reason I say this is because you have to fill out a whole separate application for the TMDSAS, so most out of staters who might otherwise apply dont do it becuase they dont want to go thru 2 application processes (AMCAS and TMDSAS).

I was accepted as out of stater to UTMB (I did go to a Texas school for undergrad), and my numbers arent that spectacular. Nor am I a famous researcher or worldwide humanitarian. I did get a few questions about why I'm applying to that particular school, but no questions about why Texas in general. Of course, I think a lot of that has to do with the fact that many of my interviewers may not have even noticed on my app that I was an out of state applicant.