General Admissions & OTCAS Texas OT applicants 2018/2019

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OTmamallama

Reaction score
Hi!! After stalking the Texas thread that was created last year, I thought I would create one for this application cycle. Let's share stats, schools applied to, and interview information!

My stats:
Overal GPA: 3.38
Last 60 hours: 3.84
Pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V. 155 Q 145. AW 4

Volunteer Hours- 1,000 Hill Country CASA, 500 Alkek PTO
Shadowing - 300 pediatric, 40 outpatient rehab
LORS- 2 OT, 2 professors

I'm applying to UTHCSA, TWU Denton, and St. Augustine.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
***2nd time applying, applying to 3 schools this time. Applied too late last year and to only one school. I am applying to one school in Texas but from Cali.***

Undergrad
: California State Univ San Bernardino (CSUSB)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.2-3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: 145-Q 140-V 3.5-AW
Extra-Curricular: Volunteered at Kaiser Permanente hospital for 3 years, Volunteered at Loma Linda for 2 years, Currently volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House, was in KSA (Kinesiology Student Assoc) for 2 years in Undergrad. Participated in Disability Sports Festival. Participates in Relay for Life every year (for the past 17 years)
Observation: 115 hours, 3 different settings (Neuro, Hand therapy, Stroke, ALS, MS, Spinal Cord Injury)
LOR: 3 OTR, 1 Dean of Academic Affairs/ Professor

Schools Applying To: Loma Linda Univ, UT Health San Antonio, Univ of St Augustine (San Marcos location)

Interviews:
Acceptances:
Waitlist:

Declined:

Reactions: 1 users
Hi!! After stalking the Texas thread that was created last year, I thought I would create one for this application cycle. Let's share stats, schools applied to, and interview information!

My stats:
Overal GPA: 3.38
Last 60 hours: 3.84
Pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE: V. 154 Q 138
Still waiting on writing. Planning on retaking because of my awful Quantitative score
Volunteer Hours- 1,000 Hill Country CASA, 500 Alkek PTO
Shadowing - 300 pediatric, 40 outpatient rehab
LORS- 2 OT, 2 professors

I'm applying to UTHCSA, TWU Denton, and St. Augustine.

Have you heard back from any schools yet as far as an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't applied yet. Putting the finishing touches on my application now. Have you heard back?

I submitted my application to OTCA's 8/31, I choose the professional transcript entry (which should be done by this week) and then it will hopefully get sent and verified by next week

Undergrad: Angelo State University
Major: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.81
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: V: 150 Q: 148 W: 3.5
Extracurricular: College Athlete (3 yr), Soup Kitchen Volunteer, Young Life Volunteer, Pregnancy Help Center Volunteer, Special Olympics Baseball Coach, Kiwanis Club Children’s Fair...
Observation Hours:
113 in outpatient hand therapy, outpatient neuro, skilled nursing, and inpatient.
LORS: 1 OT, 2 Professors, 1 Employer

Applied to: Texas Tech, ACU, and TWU

Reactions: 1 user
Current first year OT student at ACU. A great program! Highly recommend

Reactions: 5 users
Do they offer any scholarships or financial aid?
There are no scholarships for OT directly from ACU but you will get a list of scholarships through AOTA and TOTA that you can apply for. I personally used the grad plus loan and it has covered everything for the school year

I hope you get in to all your choices! Your stats sound pretty impressive :)
I am in the process of applying and I'm curious about my chances of getting into OT school as well.

My Stats:
Major: Health Psychology, minor in Child Welfare
Cumulative GPA: 3.35
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.8
GRE: V: 147 , Q: 140, W: 3.5

Extracurricular: Circle K International, Active Minds, Psi Chi Honor Society, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.-committee chairperson, Intramural volleyball player, mentor to middle school-aged students,13 months experience as a Rehab Therapy Tech, 200 shadowing hours at an inpatient rehab hospital, 16 shadowing hours at outpatient pediatric clinic, and I have worked in 4 different hospital settings over the last 3 years

Letters of Rec: From 1 OT and 1 academic advisor, and 1 past supervisor

Applying to ACU, ATSU, TWU, University of Saint Augustine-Austin, TTU, UTMB, Howard University, Nova, and Brenau
I know my cumulative GPA is not all that great but do I have a good chance of being considered as well??

Last edited:
Hey Guys! This will be my third year applying for OT. The first year I made the mistake of only applying to one school. Last year I got an interview at 2/5 schools I applied to, and only got waitlisted for one. Here are my stats.

Undergrad: University of Central Arkansas
Major: Sociology
Minor: Psychology
Overall GPA: Waiting for OTCAS to calculate my cumulative
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.5
Pre-req GPA 3.7-4.0 depending on school

I presented research @ the College of Liberal Arts Symposium, made the deans list several times, received a few scholarships

GRE: 145V 145Q 4W (I know it's not great, but that is my second attempt and I only raised it by 3 points)

Volunteer: Observation hours in outpatient pediatrics, outpatient hand therapy, inpatient rehab (120 hours total)

Letters of Rec: 2 Professors with PhD's, 2 Occupational Therapists, 1 Medical doctor I've worked for the past 5 years

Work experience: I've worked in a hospital setting for 5 years doing sleep studies on a diverse population. I have also been a clinical instructor for our sleep tech students currently enrolled in our program for just as long.

Schools I'm applying to: Georgia State University, University of Central Arkansas, Texas Tech, TWU, Maryville, University of South Alabama, University of OK Health Sciences Center, Washington University, AT Still University, Howard University, Tennessee State University, University of Texas at El Paso, University of St Augustine **also open to other schools if you know of some good ones, preferably Masters level since I will have to pay out of state tuition***

I'm also open to recommendations on how to make my application more competitive! If you have any interview questions that you would like to share feel free. I really want to get in this year so I am all ears!!

I wish I could apply to as many schools as you have. Finances and money has been tight but applied to 3 schools this year. Honestly you have a strong application! I'm sure you will get in this year!

I think when OTCAS does my cumulative it’s gonna knock me out of some schools cumulative GPA wise. I’m hoping I find out this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some schools calculate their own GPA and do not go off of OTCA's. I called the school I am most interested in and they stated OTCA's calculates it different and that they have their own method. I would call the schools you are most interested in and see if they do something different. They don't go in depth on how they calculate it, just that it's different.

Has anyone heard from UT Health San Antonio as far as an interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.38
Last 60 hours GPA: 3.45
Pre-req GPA 3.66-3.76
GRE: V:149 Q:153 W: 4.5

Volunteer: Did 32 hours at an outpatient pediatric clinic and 48hrs at an outpatient pediatric/adult clinic

LOR: 1 OT, 1 from A&P professor, 1 from biology professor, 1 BCBA

Work experience: I'm a registered behavior technician and have worked at an ABA clinic for over 3.5 years. Also CPI and CPR/BLS certified

Schools I'm applying to: TWU and ACU

I know my stats aren't the greatest but I'm hoping my personal statement and experience give me a good chance at getting in.

Last edited:
Which Texas OT schools have y'all heard back from regarding interviews?

Which Texas OT schools have y'all heard back from regarding interviews?

UT Health San Antonio stated they won't start sending out interview emails until Nov (like mid Nov) for Dec dates. And for Jan interviews they let you know in mid Dec.

Heard back today from Texas Tech - interview November 16th. Good luck to you all!

Heard back today from Texas Tech - interview November 16th. Good luck to you all!
Hello, if you don't mind me asking when was your application verified?

Hello, if you don't mind me asking when was your application verified?
Hi!! I was verified the second week of August when I submitted it.

Last edited:
I am super anxious about receiving an interview. TWU sent an email today saying that interview invites/denials will go out in December and I still haven't heard anything from UTMB or Texas Tech yet :( I just submitted my apps almost 3 weeks ago but this waiting game sucks lol

I am super anxious about receiving an interview. TWU sent an email today saying that interview invites/denials will go out in December and I still haven't heard anything from UTMB or Texas Tech yet :( I just submitted my apps almost 3 weeks ago but this waiting game sucks lol

Tell me about it, I have to wait to hear from UTH San Antonio until Nov and possibly Dec. That's when they send out emails on interviews. Uugghhh...
But hang in there!

I have an interview with Texas Tech on October 12th!

If UTMB does it the same way as last year, they don't send out interview invites until December!

Congrats!! How long did it take to hear back from them?

I sent my application in around August 28th, was verified on Sep 14th, received an invite to interview on the Sep 20th.

Congrats, best of luck! Would you mind sharing your stats?

Bachelor: Human Development and Family Studies
GPA: 3.9
120+ observation hours in 4 different settings
Employed as a Rehab Technician and Health Care Attendant

Anyone know if submitting OCTAS application is enough for the due date tomorrow, or if it also needs to be verified by tomorrow?

It looks like my friend may have missed her shot this year then as I doubt it'll be verified by the end of the day tomorrow. Thanks for the info!

Undergrad: Angelo State University
Major: Exercise Science
GPA: 3.81
Prereq GPA: 4.0
GRE: V: 150 Q: 148 W: 3.5
Extracurricular: College Athlete (3 yr), Soup Kitchen Volunteer, Young Life Volunteer, Pregnancy Help Center Volunteer, Special Olympics Baseball Coach, Kiwanis Club Children’s Fair...
Observation Hours:
113 in outpatient hand therapy, outpatient neuro, skilled nursing, and inpatient.
LORS: 1 OT, 2 Professors, 1 Employer

Applied to: Texas Tech, ACU, and TWU

Interviews: Texas Tech Nov. 16

8:15. I haven’t heard much about the interviews. Pretty nervous.

You'll be fine!! The Tech interview was really not stressful at all. You should prepare and have answers ready for the typical interview questions, but everyone there was super nice and laid back. If it's like last year, there will be a short group project and then an individual "speed-dating" interview. The group project is very chill and laid back, just make sure to be nice to the people in your group and contribute at least something. The speed dating interviews are where the professors ask you one question, you have about 5 minutes to answer, and then a new professor comes to interview you. I think we had 3 professors each ask one question.

***2nd time applying, applying to 3 schools this time. Applied too late last year and to only one school. I am applying to one school in Texas but from Cali.***

Undergrad
: California State Univ San Bernardino (CSUSB)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.2-3.3
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.5
GRE: 145-Q 140-V 3.5-AW
Extra-Curricular
: Volunteered at Kaiser Permanente hospital for 3 years, Volunteered at Loma Linda for 2 years, Currently volunteering at the Ronald McDonald House, was in KSA (Kinesiology Student Assoc) for 2 years in Undergrad. Participated in Disability Sports Festival. Participates in Relay for Life every year (for the past 17 years)
Observation: 115 hours, 3 different settings (Neuro, Hand therapy, Stroke, ALS, MS, Spinal Cord Injury)
LOR: 3 OTR, 1 Dean of Academic Affairs/ Professor

Schools Applying To: Loma Linda Univ, UT Health San Antonio, Univ of St Augustine (San Marcos location)

Interviews: ***Updated 10/21*** Loma Linda (10/24)
Acceptances:
Waitlist:
Declined:

I hope you get in to all your choices! Your stats sound pretty impressive :)
I am in the process of applying and I'm curious about my chances of getting into OT school as well.

My Stats:
Major: Health Psychology, minor in Child Welfare
Cumulative GPA: 3.35
Pre-Req GPA: 3.4-3.7 (not including one pre-req I am taking this fall)
GRE: V: 144 Q: 140 W: 3.5

Extracurricular: Circle K International, Active Minds, Psi Chi Honor Society, Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc.-committee chairperson, Intramural volleyball player, mentor to middle school-aged students,10 months experience as a Rehab Therapy Tech, 140 shadowing hours at an inpatient rehab hospital, 16 shadowing hours at outpatient pediatric clinic, and I have worked in 4 different hospital settings over the last 2 years

Letters of Rec: From 1 OT and 1 academic advisor, and 1 past supervisor

Applying to ACU, TWU, University of Saint Augustine-Austin, TTU, UTMB, and Howard University (all submitted except Howard U)

I know my cumulative GPA is not all that great but do I have a good chance of being considered as well??

Hello!
Have you heard anything back from ACU or TTU?

Hello Everyone, has anyone heard back form UT Health San Antonio yet? I know they are supposed to start this month sending out emails for Dec interviews....

Hello Everyone, has anyone heard back form UT Health San Antonio yet? I know they are supposed to start this month sending out emails for Dec interviews....

Not yet. I’m expecting we will hear something by Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed!

Hello!
Have you heard anything back from ACU or TTU?
I did but only regarding my app fee and saying that TTU received my updated transcript with my physics course.
I don't think ACU sends anything out until as late as February and TTU has already started sending invites for interviews on their rolling basis.

Anyone that interviewed with TTU on 10/12 heard anything back yet?

For anyone that has the upcoming Friday interview at Texas Tech, have y'all received an email with more information regarding that day?

For anyone that has the upcoming Friday interview at Texas Tech, have y'all received an email with more information regarding that day?
I just received an email... Didn't have an updated map but just confirmation and to bring ID.

Last edited:
Hey guys how long did it take for you to hear back from TTU for interviews? I sent in my application in October and still haven’t heard anything. I’m super nervous.

Hey guys how long did it take for you to hear back from TTU for interviews? I sent in my application in October and still haven’t heard anything. I’m super nervous.
I submitted my application early August. Then took about a month to receive my confirmation that everything went through and heard about an interview early October so took about two month. I heard they have multiple interviews so i wouldn’t stress.