1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Texas Outsiders...

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by simpleton, Aug 29, 2001.

1. simpleton

simpleton Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I am not from Texas but want to go there for medical school because I have family members out there. Anyone else in similiar situation and waiting for interviews (or already have them). I am a little worried that I might be looked over. Does anyone have an interview scheduled for UTSA?? Thanks for replies in advance.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hopkins2010

Hopkins2010 Membership Revoked
    Removed

I'm not sure if the TX schools screen for interviews based on residency, if they use that when making final admissions decisions, or both.

I'm a non TX resident with 1 TX interview so far (UTMB Galveston).

4. lilycat

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    UTSW seems to be the most friendly public Texas school to out-of-staters. Beyond that it would be Baylor, which is private, but still makes up the majority of it's class with TX residents b/c of this financial deal with the state.

I would strongly recommending writing a letter to the schools you are applying to clearly stating why exactly you want to attend med school in Texas -- this may make them take your application more seriously. If you do get rejected, I would consider trying to appeal the decision, and make sure that they were aware of your ties to the state.

5. Georgey

Georgey Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I wouldn't disagree with any of the previous posts. However, keep in mind that Texas state law requires that all Texas school (except Baylor) admit not more than 10% of their applicant pool from out-of-state. In fact, if you look at the MSAR, Texas Tech and Texas A&M hardly have any out-of-state students. That may be something you want to consider when applying. Good luck.