Texas Outsiders...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpleton

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am not from Texas but want to go there for medical school because I have family members out there. Anyone else in similiar situation and waiting for interviews (or already have them). I am a little worried that I might be looked over. Does anyone have an interview scheduled for UTSA?? Thanks for replies in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure if the TX schools screen for interviews based on residency, if they use that when making final admissions decisions, or both.

I'm a non TX resident with 1 TX interview so far (UTMB Galveston).

UTSW seems to be the most friendly public Texas school to out-of-staters. Beyond that it would be Baylor, which is private, but still makes up the majority of it's class with TX residents b/c of this financial deal with the state.

I would strongly recommending writing a letter to the schools you are applying to clearly stating why exactly you want to attend med school in Texas -- this may make them take your application more seriously. If you do get rejected, I would consider trying to appeal the decision, and make sure that they were aware of your ties to the state.

I wouldn't disagree with any of the previous posts. However, keep in mind that Texas state law requires that all Texas school (except Baylor) admit not more than 10% of their applicant pool from out-of-state. In fact, if you look at the MSAR, Texas Tech and Texas A&M hardly have any out-of-state students. That may be something you want to consider when applying. Good luck.