Texas Pain Doctor Defrauds Medicare Using Stim Codes for Auricular Acupuncture

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drusso

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
Reaction score
Which one of you D-bags is this?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Tuesday, August 25, 2020

Pain doctor pays to settle allegations of deceptive Medicare billing

HOUSTON – A 52-year-old pain management physician from Houston has paid $530,000 to resolve allegations he falsely billed Medicare for the use of electro-acupuncture devices, announced U.S. Attorney Ryan K. Patrick.

From March 1, 2019, to Oct. 31, 2019, Dr. Syed Nasir billed Medicare for the implantation of neurostimulator electrodes–a surgical procedure that usually requires use of an operating room. Medicare pays thousands of dollars for this procedure.

However, Nasir did not perform these surgeries. Instead, he applied a device used for electro-acupuncture. This procedure involves inserting needles into patients’ ears with the neurostimulator taped behind them with an adhesive.

Medicare does not reimburse for electro-acupuncture devices as implantable neurostimulators.

This is the second settlement of its kind involving electro-acupuncture billing the Southern District of Texas has resolved.
The Department of Health and Human Services – Office of Inspector General and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services conducted the investigation with the assistance of Qlarant, the Unified Program Integrity Contractor for Medicare. Assistant U.S. Attorney Brad Gray handled the matter.

The claims resolved by this agreement are allegations only, and there has been no determination of liability.

Members don't see this ad.

That's pretty bold.

Anyone know what % ends up being paid as an additional penalty for this type of stuff? I hope they come out way ahead in these fraudulent billing schemes instead of just recouping the charges.

I remember the Pstim reps marketing this about ten years ago. They were telling me it was the same codes as scs. Complete bs

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hahaha...What a tragic load of BS and I hope that dude gets jumped by Antifa.

Reactions: 1 user
He looks like a punk azz...

How’s this worse than rheum coding tpis as facet/mbbs? Lots of crap out there .

• Wow
There’s a guy that I know that uses “EMG guidance” to do trigger points. I’m not sure how they bill for it but seeems a bit fishy

There’s a guy that I know that uses “EMG guidance” to do trigger points. I’m not sure how they bill for it but seeems a bit fishy

That seems like the kind of **** he should keep to himself, did he actually tell you this or did you see it on a patient’s records?