texas personal statement essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cooolguy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are they looking for when they say include your philosophy of being a physician? are they looking for something in particular? please help me im trying to write this thing and its driving me crazyy!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it's something like "What does being a physician mean to you? What does it take? What does the journey and the career involve?" It's another way of saying talk about the qualities that make you a good candidate for the job. It's not the time to ramble on about what your general philosophy of what a good doctor would be. It's about YOU and how YOU fit.

i would probably write about what you believe the purpose of a physician is, and its philosophy and mission (patient bill of rights, hippocratic oaths). perhaps an example would help you describe it

Members don't see this ad :)
mychelle774 said:
I think it's something like "What does being a physician mean to you? What does it take? What does the journey and the career involve?" It's another way of saying talk about the qualities that make you a good candidate for the job. It's not the time to ramble on about what your general philosophy of what a good doctor would be. It's about YOU and how YOU fit.
Yes, that's exactly what my boss said who has worked on adcoms before. I made the mistake of writing a paragraph that contained "general philosophy" and she told me to fix it by writing qualities of myself and following them up with examples.

Remember to avoid writing anything generic. If someone else can put their name on top of your personal statement and successfully pass it off as their own, you've written a poor essay.

My second paragraph was all about how what I've seen made me want to become a doctor to underserved areas. That's about as close to addressing "philosophy" as I came in my PS.

Anastasis said:
My second paragraph was all about how what I've seen made me want to become a doctor to underserved areas. That's about as close to addressing "philosophy" as I came in my PS.

Meh, I just think TMDSAS wanted to be fancy using "philosophy". You could use your AMCAS essay if you're doing that one.

mychelle774 said:
Meh, I just think TMDSAS wanted to be fancy using "philosophy". You could use your AMCAS essay if you're doing that one.
Yeah that's what I did. I think it worked out find. :luck:

Anastasis said:
ditto. although it was a pain trying to get my essay to fit in TMDSAS's stupid little text box.

Anastasis said:

I did the same thing. Because I'm lazy. :p