Texas physician training permit vs license

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

u_r_my_serenity

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm moving to Texas July 2010 for fellowship and am licensed in my current state. I have the option of obtaining a "physician in training permit" or a full license in Texas.

I've gathered that the full license is much more expensive, time consuming to obtain, is generally required for moonlighting, and requires the jurisprudence exam.

My question is- with a permit will I be able to write/call in prescriptions? Could I call in antibiotics for a friend for example? Could I sign documents that generally require a license such as a handicap placard for a patient?

My pride just won't let me go back to being a little boy. If there is any other real disadvantage to the permit I appreciate the advice.

Members don't see this ad.

1st consideration:
Start by asking your fellowship program. Some fellowships require that fellows have a full unrestricted license as a condition to being a fellow.

2nd consideration:
Moonlighting. If you plan on moonlighting you will probably need a full unrestricted license. Of course, that'll depend on the organization you're moonlighting for. I have my doubts that they would allow you to moonlight with a trainee's permit. For most people, this is the main reason why they get their full license.

3rd consideration:
Is there a possibility you'll stay in Texas? Or, that you will ever come back to Texas? Texas license (along with, I believe, California and Florida) are the hardest ones to obtain (the paperwork for the board is insane and JP exam is just annoying) and it's conventional wisdom to hold on to it once you have it.

4th consideration: (Edit: I just re-read your post and you have a license in your current state...)
Do you already have a full unrestricted license elsewhere? If you do, then a full license in Texas may not be as important to you, and depending on your program, you may be able to do your fellowship and go back to your home state. HOWEVER, if you don't have a full unrestricted license somewhere, you should get it in whatever state you can. You can't sit for your board certifications (your primary nor subspecialty) unless you have a full unrestricted license. Also, your future employment may be delayed because you don't have your license (and some places/insurance won't credential you if you don't have a license or even board certified).

It can take anywhere from 3-6 months to get your license in Texas, depending on whether your stuff's all received AND when the Board meets. So, unless you're independently wealthy with cash sitting in the bank to last you 6 months while you sit around and do nothing, you may want to get started on it ASAP so that you don't have to worry about it later.

Last edited:
Texas license (along with, I believe, California and Florida) are the hardest ones to obtain (the paperwork for the board is insane and JP exam is just annoying) and it's conventional wisdom to hold on to it once you have it.

Not to mention one of the most expensive. It's worth the $900 if you plan on moonlighting and sticking around awhile afterwards, but otherwise...

1st check with your fellowship program. Many require that you be licensed.
My cardiology fellowship required that I send in my state license before they would give me a contract to sign. As a fellow you're basically functioning at attending level for certain procedures, etc. so a lot of times they require you to be licensed.
If you're doing some short 1 year fellowship or something, and don't plan to moonlight, then perhaps you don't need license, but generally it's better to get one. Just bite the bullet and do it, that's my advice.