Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
good luck at utsa tomorrow...get a chance to meet the students and don't get too frazzled by haughty professors...:)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey .02 - Yeah like they said, it just depends. I was the last person to leave and it was about 4:30. The tours are awesome though. Def go to Texas Heart. I got to see open heart surgery.

JAYZEE- Sorry i didnt get to talk to you at SA, but hope it went great!! I am sure it did. Are you going to be at Tech on Wed? If so i will see you there.

wow, open heart surgery? amazing...i'll be at houston soon--greyhounding it all the way...:rolleyes:

(as you can tell i'm trying to bump this thread up to the top w/rather substance-less posts :D )

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by dustin04ag
Are you going to be at Tech on Wed?

I'm in Lubbock right now (at my brother's house). He's off studying how to do a femoral block:D I'll be there at 8:30am tomorrow.

Hey guys, for those of you who haven't been to UTH yet, definitely go on the tour of Hermann Hosp. We got to watch from the roof as a Life Flight crew came in with patients from an accident. Waaaay cool. (Only second time in my life I've been so close to a helicopter. ;) )

UTH was a good experience, although I have to say they were my most difficult interviews. Not that the interviewers weren't nice, but it was hard to get any reading from them. Couldn't tell if they cared for what I was saying or not. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the hardest interview was actually my best. :(

ahh the waiting...
T

PS-Lakeaustin, nice to meet a fellow SDN'er! So far you're the only one to say hello!

Originally posted by TheresaW
Hey guys, for those of you who haven't been to UTH yet, definitely go on the tour of Hermann Hosp. We got to watch from the roof as a Life Flight crew came in with patients from an accident. Waaaay cool. (Only second time in my life I've been so close to a helicopter. ;) )

UTH was a good experience, although I have to say they were my most difficult interviews. Not that the interviewers weren't nice, but it was hard to get any reading from them. Couldn't tell if they cared for what I was saying or not. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the hardest interview was actually my best. :(

ahh the waiting...
T

PS-Lakeaustin, nice to meet a fellow SDN'er! So far you're the only one to say hello!

Yeah, my interviewers were really nice and knew a lot, but they hadnt looked at my file til they opened it right in front of me. Also, if its hot outside which it undoubtably will be, take the tours after your last interview. Ive said it before but ill say it again, theres nothing worse than going to an interview all sweaty and dishevelled. Unless youre doing an interview with a Wnt researcher (yeah bad joke :( , bad gleevec, bad)

Def go to Texas Heart. I got to see open heart surgery.
yup, especially since you just might have the tour led by me ;)

Originally posted by Gleevec
Yeah, my interviewers were really nice and knew a lot, but they hadnt looked at my file til they opened it right in front of me.
it really just depends on who you get, as it does at any school. luck of the draw.

when I was giving the THI tour yesterday a couple girls commented oh how they walked in and their files were all over their interviewers desk with notes all over them written by the person given the interview. just be ready for the traditional or more indepth interview each and every time you walk into a interview at any school.

That's ok. It went well. I liked UTH better though, except that I had to walk 10 min in the HOT HUMID OUTSIDE to get to my first interview....and I was all yucky when I got there, overall I really liked it there.

MD ANDERSON ROCKS! :clap:

JAYZEE- Sorry i didnt get to talk to you at SA, but hope it went great!! I am sure it did. Are you going to be at Tech on Wed? If so i will see you there.

Originally posted by seaworthc
it really just depends on who you get, as it does at any school. luck of the draw.

when I was giving the THI tour yesterday a couple girls commented oh how they walked in and their files were all over their interviewers desk with notes all over them written by the person given the interview. just be ready for the traditional or more indepth interview each and every time you walk into a interview at any school.

just got back from h-town. awesome school--the size was intimidating at first but the students all love it there. my interview was a mix of the two--1st one was w/a ph.d who had carefully read my file; the other was w/an m.d. who basically hadn't read anything and opened with, "okay, for the next 10-15 minutes tell me about yourself, everything you want the adcoms to know..."

oh, i forgot to mention: dean gunn gave a speech at the beginning of the day...it was soooo amazing and powerful, the best speech i've heard so far at any interview day. not a single person was talking and all eyes were focused on him...it was scary, motivational, inspiring, and profound all at the same time. by far the highlight of the day!!

eet eees soo quite!:rolleyes:

sigh...if only we can merge two threads into one...well, i guess us texas pre-meds are so special we deserve two threads--n'est-ce pas? (whoops, a bit of my canadian self popping out there...)

I have a question...

I heard that the USMLE results of the first class graduating from Baylor's new non-traditional curriculum were pretty low. I also heard that the school is thinking about redoing the curriculum again.

Anyone else heard this? Anyone know where you can find USMLE results by school?

Originally posted by tfaah
I have a question...

I heard that the USMLE results of the first class graduating from Baylor's new non-traditional curriculum were pretty low. I also heard that the school is thinking about redoing the curriculum again.

Where did you hear this from? Even if the school redoes the curriculum, it wont be there in time for the next entering class.

Where did you hear this from? Even if the school redoes the curriculum, it wont be there in time for the next entering class.

I heard this from a friend of friend who goes to Baylor right now. I know a new curriculum won't be in place by next year...that's why I want to know where I find this out for sure. If you know of a website or something, please let me know!!

Originally posted by tfaah
I have a question...

odd. from what i gathered, baylor's curriculum isn't "new"; it's been in place for a while now. many of the students i talked to mentioned usmle scores are still ranging within 2 standard deviations above the national mean. most ppl seemed very satisfied w/the condensed curriculum.

i don't know where you can find the results by school. but i don't also know how useful such stats are. after all, you are going to receive a quality medical education at any school in the nation...scores on the usmle reflect in large part the self-motivation and discipline of the students. i know baylor gives you significant time off to study.

but hey, if you find out any more on this inside info, pls do share....good to find out the inside info...