Texas Pre-Meds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
eunice,
i'm from los angeles!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Texans, I had a few quick questions as an out-of-stater. I'm from NM, BTW. I've only gotten my TMDSAS submitted this week. It's kind of easy to panic when you see other already getting interviews, but I finally got it in, and now I get to wait impatiently.

My question is in regards to TCOM. Just how competitive will it be for a non-Texan? I know about the 90% rule, but I'm interested for two reasons. One, a Do that I know really well did her residency in Fort Worth and raves about TCOM. Second, even if I pay out of school tuition, at 19K it's still cheaper than an other options out there.

I did decently on the MCAT (30R) and while this would be a good score for most DO schools, I'm getting the feeling that a good amount of Texans with great scores apply too. While many may well go elsewhere, I'm sure there are more 30+ MCATs sitting on TCOM's plate than at other DO schools. I have good and unique ECs, good clinical experiences, and decent grades (3.3 science, 3.5 overall).

In the end, I'm wondering if TCOM sets aside spots for out of state applicants, and I'll be competing against other out of staters, or will TCOM look at my application, see if I'm competitive to their average student, and worry about my out of state status after an interview? This may be a question that no one outside the admissions committee can ask (I'll call them in the morning), but I'd definately appreciate any thought or opinions on the subject.

I've never been one to let some facts get in the way of a good rumor. :)

Hey. I know Tech likes applicants from NM. Here is a quote from their web site:

"Applications are invited from qualified residents of Texas and neighboring counties of New Mexico and Oklahoma which comprise the service area of the school."

So if anything, you might as well try for Tech. I don't know much about TCOM though. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
We all pay instate tuition. Actually that's not quite correct. The out of staters are given a "competitive" scholarship for a thousand dollars every year. This scholarship gives us the right to pay the instate tuition. So tution for us out of staters actually is only 5,500 with the scholarship.

Good luck

By the way there are some 240 of us in the UTSW class of 2006. An important fact (that I would loved to have known this time last year) considering that most people think there is a cap at 200. The class of 2005 has around 220.

Howdy Pickle!

Originally posted by Pickle Salt
jeff

do you play the piano? just wondering if you spoke on my interview date.

Nope. Well, that's not quite true. I can bang on the keys but you wouldn't want me in the same room.

If the guy playing was any good, and if he was a second year, it was probably Matt. He is an outstanding musician (he plays a mean sax) and does a lot of stuff around campus.

Take care,
Jeff

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun

In the end, I'm wondering if TCOM sets aside spots for out of state applicants, and I'll be competing against other out of staters, or will TCOM look at my application, see if I'm competitive to their average student, and worry about my out of state status after an interview? This may be a question that no one outside the admissions committee can ask (I'll call them in the morning), but I'd definately appreciate any thought or opinions on the subject.

I've never been one to let some facts get in the way of a good rumor. :)

TCOM doesn't set aside spots for out-of-staters, per se, but they do like to have some out-of-state representation even though they could probably fill their class with 100% in-state Texas residents. Usually, these out-of-state residents have special interests (dual degree interests DO/PhD or DO/MPH) or have some unique experiences with osteopathic medicine. In general, the out-of-state TCOM students have a bit higher academic qualifications than the rest of the class. I was an out-of-state TCOM applicant and scored 30 on the MCAT which for the year I applied (1997) was average for the accepted out-of-state student.

Hey everyone, good luck to everyone still trudging through the interview process. I interviewed at UT Houston yesterday and had a really cool day. Both of my interviews went almost too perfectly, I'm a micro major and one of them was a microbiologist so we had lots to talk about. Plus I was just blown away by the Texas Medical Center. Sure I've been to Houston several times, but never made it down to the TMC before. It was amazing. We toured the Texas Heart Institute and came in at the end of an open heart surgery. Toured Memorial Hermann Hospital, which i might add is one of the nicest general hospitals I've ever been in, and I can't say enough about the M.D. Anderson Cancer Therapy Hospital. Incredible place. I thoroughly suggest taking all of the tours that you can when you come down here to interview, with either UT or Baylor.

San Juan Sun--

I know people in my Texas Tech class who are from NM. It is said they prefer those in counties surrounding Tech's service area, but at least one guy is from Albuquerque, which is definitely not in our service area.

Also, if you are from NM you end up paying instate tuition ( this is actually the case at both the undergrad campus and the school of medicine).

Your MCAT is above the average for the last few classes and your gpa is competitive. Bet you it won't hurt to apply here.

Goodluck!!

Thanks for the info. I am actually applying to Tech. The instate tuition would be very nice on the pocketbook. Thanks again.

Someone might have mentioned this already, but I think there are some loopholes in the Texas residency laws that allow people from NM and Oklahoma certain exceptions. Especially in getting scholarships for Texas schools where out of state tuition is waived. This is fairly easy to get from what I hear.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys,

I got a TCOM interview in a few weeks. I was curious if anyone on here is applying to the DO/MPH combined degree program there?
Thanks.

Hi all, I have my first 2 interviews at UT San Antonio and Houston next week. I was just wondering if you all who have already been could tell me if any people brought a parent or friend. I really want my mom to come but I don't know if this is appropriate and what she can actually attend. Any help on this and other tips for either of these places would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by TexasGirl
Hi all, I have my first 2 interviews at UT San Antonio and Houston next week. I was just wondering if you all who have already been could tell me if any people brought a parent or friend. I really want my mom to come but I don't know if this is appropriate and what she can actually attend. Any help on this and other tips for either of these places would be greatly appreciated!

I've been told that you're not supposed to take anyone with you unless the school specifically says you can; however, I had a friend who took her mom to her interviews and her mom just walked around campus during the day until it was time to go and she got in.
Good luck

Originally posted by Centrum
[referring to Tech]... I would be scared of 3rd and 4th years though. Half the class goes to El Paso and I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Unless of course you have a calling for border medicine and everything it entails. If you could go to Amarillo it would be great, and I think some go to Midland which would kinda of suck. Anyways, I wouldn't count it out. Always an option right?

Why exactly would you not wish that (El Paso) on anyone? You see some good pathology here. With our exposure and case load, I've heard that Tech graduates are very well received in residencies.

Also, although some may see the demographics as a drawback, I think it's very important with the rapidly growing Hispanic population in the U.S. that you learn about how the Hispanic culture relates to health care, and that you pick up some Spanish if you haven't already.

Medical students do not go to Midland.

If anyone has questions about going to Tech (not the admissions process), lemme know.

Michael Burton, MSIII
Texas Tech SOM, Class of '04

Well said Burton. I think El Paso actually is one of Tech's strengths. Even though I will move there for another 2 yrs (I am an MS1), I know that the high volume of pts seen at the teaching hosp in EP, the variety of pathology, and the diversity of the city will be very good for my training. I'd say EP is as good as Amarillo if not better.

I guess it is all in personal opinion and preference.

I think that El Paso is really a great strength for Tech, as what a poster mentioned previously. Very soon, Hispanics will be the majority of those seeking health care in Texas. Exposure to this type of practice will be necessary very soon. The UT system realized this too, and UTSA has emplemented their Regional Health System in Harlingen with their very impressive brand new Valley Center. A great opportunity there for sure too.

Hi,

I applied to medical school last year and did not get in. I believe I had good EC's, a 3.8 GPA, and a 26T MCAT (9V 8P 9B). I received interviews at Tech, Houston, and UTMB. I knew my MCAT wasn't as good as I good do and even some people from the medical schools informed me that my MCAT was more or less THE factor in me not getting in. I also interviewed late (December).

So I've taken the MCAT again. I scored a 31R (11V 10P 10B). I have received interviews from Tech, UTMB, and UTSW. Haven't heard from Houston. Baylor is still a ways away because I'm waiting on AMCAS.

Anyway, I feel I have a good chance of getting in but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any info, advice, or input regarding reapplicants and their chances.

Thanks.

Don't sweat it, I have not gotten an invite from UTMB either but have from UTH and UTSW

Dynastar--

Looks like you have your bases covered now. That's great, and I want to encourage you to go into this process as a reapplicant with HOPE. Last year, I reapplied and felt as though I just would not make it. As it turned out, I not only got into Texas Tech but also got into an out of state school that's more competitive. My point is, since you've done everything you can to bolster your application, interview with confidence and don't let anything get you down.

I also know for a fact that Texas Tech is quite big on admitting reapplicants: I know a bunch of people in both my class and the class ahead of me who got in after reapplying. I used to think that med schools were not interested in reapplicants, but as I look around me at my Texas Tech class I know I was wrong. I've also heard that UTMB and UTSA are comfortable admitting reapplicants.

If you have any questions about Tech or otherwise, don't hesitate. Lots of luck!

Anyone else pulling a double this upcoming weekend? By that I mean interviewing at Baylor this Friday and then making the trip to Dallas for Southwestern on Saturday? I've talked to a couple of people here at A&M doing the same, just wondering if there are anyothers that I'll probably see there too.

Thanks for the replies. I feel a little more competative this year and would like to think I have a shot at UTSW or Baylor, though I like all of the schools. I would like to stay in Dallas or Houston.

Anyone know how the more competative schools look at reapplicants in my position??

Okay, this question has to do with the August MCAT - when it came time for me to fill in the codes for the schools I wanted my application sent to, I asked the proctor for the TMDSAS code. She said not to worry about a code because as long as I sent it to AMCAS, they would get to the Texas schools.

Was the proctor right? My gut feeling is no, and if this is the case, then my scores will be further delayed because I will have to order an additional score report from aamc. Anybody have any insight into this? Thanks :)

I'm almost positive you have to designate TMDSAS separately for MCAT scores. You may want to go ahead and order the score report for them as quickly as possible.

Did anyone go to UT Houston's Pre-Interview Social? Where I'm staying in Houston is pretty far from where the social is being held, so I'm wondering if it's worth it.

Hi ya'll,

I just got interviews from UTH, UTSA, and UTMB.
The dates are UTH Sept 11, UTSA Sept 23, and UTMB Sept 27. Please let me know if you also have those dates, or send me an email. I would love to meet other applicants.

[email protected]

PS. Go Texans!

Originally posted by Dynastar
Hi,

I applied to medical school last year and did not get in. I believe I had good EC's, a 3.8 GPA, and a 26T MCAT (9V 8P 9B). I received interviews at Tech, Houston, and UTMB. I knew my MCAT wasn't as good as I good do and even some people from the medical schools informed me that my MCAT was more or less THE factor in me not getting in. I also interviewed late (December).

So I've taken the MCAT again. I scored a 31R (11V 10P 10B). I have received interviews from Tech, UTMB, and UTSW. Haven't heard from Houston. Baylor is still a ways away because I'm waiting on AMCAS.

Anyway, I feel I have a good chance of getting in but I thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any info, advice, or input regarding reapplicants and their chances.

Thanks.

Your MCAT is NOT the reason you did not get in last year. Schools do not interview applicants with an MCAT they consider "too low". In fact, if you are asked on the interview trail this year "Why do you think you did not get into school last year," DO NOT say "because my MCAT was too low," .....it would be a huge mistake. This is a common misconception among premeds. They think the MCAT is everything and they think the Adcoms only care about the MCAT. By saying you think the MCAT kept you out last you are telling them 2 things. 1) They don't know what they are doing when they pick who to interview because they interview people they have no intention of admitting because their MCAT or GPA is not good enough. 2) You thought you were perfect in every other way and the only thing keeping you out is this test and you have not thought very hard about all the other factors regarding admissions and how to improve on them.

I'm sure you don't want to send either of these two messages. The "Why didn't you get in?" question is a very common one for reapplicants and it is extremely important you do not fall into the trap. They want you to think beyond MCAT's and GPA's and consider the other things they believe are important and did not think you had the year before.

Here are some examples of good answers to the "Why didn't you get in?" question"
1. Perhaps my lack of volunteer service gave the committee the impression that I was not interested in helping others. However, this past year I have volunteered at.......
2. I didn't exhibit a good understanding of what the life and work of a physician really is because I had not followed any physicians and I didn't have any clinical experience. Realizing this I decided to start following ER docs and even took a few nights of call with them.
3. My interviews were difficult and I did not show the composure and maturity necessary for a physician. I have grown as a person this past year and feel I am more prepared to take on the responsibility necessary to be a medical student and physician.
4. Gaining admission to medical school is difficult and I realize now that I did not apply to enough schools in order to find a school that I was comfortable with that was also comfortable with me.

There are others that are acceptable and other that are unacceptable. Just don't say "my MCAT sucked" and try to stick to the list above more or less.

I've noticed that many extremely competetive applicants (friends, collegues of mine) sometimes do not receive invitations to UTSA, UTMB, and other mid-tier Texas schools. My hypothesis on this is that schools view applicants with really high gpa's/mcat scores as less likely to attend their school. This is JUST a theory. Any thoughts?

any August MCATers get interviews yet? whether you've taken it before or not...

Hey guys, a quick question. I heard from a friend of mine, that his buddy went to Baylor, bought a condo, and was awarded in state residency. Does this work in Texas? I know other states do it, just curious if anyone had any clue about Texas. Thanks for the replies.

Hey...quick (somewhat idiotic) question...

I am an Arizona resident who could have easily claimed TX residency. (I think I made a mistake...but anyway) Will the fact that my parents live in TX, and the fact that I could have claimed residency there have any kind of a positive effect on my application to TMDSAS??

Does anyone know the % of out-of-state applicants are asked to interview?

Thanks...

Ummmmm....I DEFINITELY think you need to claim Texas residency if you can. Texas schools are funded by state tax money, and so they take somewhere close to 90% Texas residents. I really recommend that you get that changed ASAP.

I'm off tomorrow for my interview at UTSA. I also received a Tech invite on Friday. So that means I have 4 interviews of the possible 7. The Houston area seems to dislike me so far. I have yet to here anything from Baylor, UTMB, or UT Houston. (My TMDSAS application was complete in mid-July).

Good luck everyone! :clap: We'll all get in somewhere! :clap:

For any of the UT websites, is there a breakdown of where the 1st year medical students went to undergrad?

Originally posted by Pickle Salt
I've noticed that many extremely competetive applicants (friends, collegues of mine) sometimes do not receive invitations to UTSA, UTMB, and other mid-tier Texas schools. My hypothesis on this is that schools view applicants with really high gpa's/mcat scores as less likely to attend their school. This is JUST a theory. Any thoughts?

When I interviewed at San Antonio the dean of admissions made a point to mention that he had an application on his desk with a 3.6 and and 35 and that applicant was not going to receive an interview because, as the dean put it,"He thought it was his right to an interview." So there may be other reasons why folks with great numbers don't get interviews.

I wonder what that person could have done/said to give that impression. That DOES sound like something Dean Jones would though.

Could any of you let all of us know the dates of your interviews with respect to the date your application was processed by TMDSAS. I think this is better than just giving your interview dates. This would be really helpful to myself and many others I'm sure. Good forum... thanks pickle salt. (interested in UTH, UTSA, UTMB, Tech, A&M, SW)

Hey Ya'll, just a quick question about the UTSA secondary...

For some reason I can't type directly on my downloaded secondary. Are we supposed to type it? write it? or paste it to a word doc? What did ya'll do for it?

Thanks,
Angel

Yeah, I remember the dean of UTSA mentioning that same guy when he talked to us too. He said that the first line in his essay was, "In 10 years I WILL be performing [such and such] surgery in [such and such] setting." Confidence may be a good thing, but it can definitely be a bad thing too. In the interview it was obvious the guy felt like he deserved interviews at everyschool he applied too, as if it was a right to be there and not a priviledge. That's why NO school accepted him.

My TMDSAS was processed mid June.

8/8 TAMU
8/13 TCOM
8/26 UTSA
8/29 UT Houston
9/6 Texas Tech
9/13 Baylor
9/14 UT Southwestern
9/27 UTMB

I'm interviewing at Baylor on the 27th.

Any thoughts from those of you who have already gone?

Originally posted by San_Juan_Sun
Hey guys, a quick question. I heard from a friend of mine, that his buddy went to Baylor, bought a condo, and was awarded in state residency. Does this work in Texas? I know other states do it, just curious if anyone had any clue about Texas. Thanks for the replies.

According to my friend who interviewed at Baylor, lots of people buy condos their first year and therefore become official residents their second year. In-state tuition at Baylor is $13K cheaper, so you'll save yourself at least $40K (since tuition goes up every year).

I guess becoming a Tejas resident is pretty easy, and residents don't have to pay state tax (although, that's not necessarily a good thing for Tejas...). Note that almost 75% of Baylor med students are from in-state (122 out of 168).

-RA

Originally posted by Fah-Q
Your MCAT is NOT the reason you did not get in last year. Schools do not interview applicants with an MCAT they consider "too low". In fact, if you are asked on the interview trail this year "Why do you think you did not get into school last year," DO NOT say "because my MCAT was too low," .....it would be a huge mistake. This is a common misconception among premeds. They think the MCAT is everything and they think the Adcoms only care about the MCAT. By saying you think the MCAT kept you out last you are telling them 2 things. 1) They don't know what they are doing when they pick who to interview because they interview people they have no intention of admitting because their MCAT or GPA is not good enough. 2) You thought you were perfect in every other way and the only thing keeping you out is this test and you have not thought very hard about all the other factors regarding admissions and how to improve on them.

Yeah, by the time you get an interview, your MCAT score becomes less relevant, just because now they're basing a lot on your interview. They don't interview everyone. It takes time and money to interview people, so they're not going to interview someone whom they wouldn't accept because their score is too low. Why would they bother interviewing that person if that were true?

-RA

I just got my first interview offer at UTMB for 10/18.

thanks so much for posting. i feel a little less nervous about it now.

i was just wondering if anyone had thoughts about whether it would be better to take the shuttle or rent a car from the Hobby airport. do i need a car to get around campus or will i be fine walking? i was thinking of staying with a student.

also, has anyone gone to the reception the night before?

if u interviewed, chances are the mcats weren't why you didn't get in - although they do review you application afterwards usually

I would like to give you guys an update on my recent interviews since my post. It seems many of you think that the MCAT wasn't the reason for me not getting in last year so I thought you might like to hear this.

At Texas Tech, the orientation lady (forgot her name) said that Tech considers GPA and MCAT to be 60% of their criteria, 20% is from the interview, and the other 20% is from the Admissions Committee review of your app. My interviewer there also took a liking to me and proceeded to tell me that he coudn't see anything wrong with my previous application except that my MCAT was below average and that I will most likely get into medical school sometime this year with my above average MCAT.

So I would have to say that YES, MCAT and GPA is a big standardized way for medical schools to rank applicants. Everything I have heard from the medical schools have supported this and nothing they have said has refuted it.